Weight Cutting For Mma?

Interested to see if anyone has any strategies for BP weight cutting. My pre-bullet proof protocol consisted of cutting out as much salts as possible and eating pretty much nothing, followed by sauna and wrestling to sweat the weight off. I don't cut too much but my brother drops as much as 30 lbs with this method and it's not fun. Any hacks? 

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of looking into using the rapid fat loss protocol the week leading up to the weight in pre water cut. I've played around with it before and have drop some good short-term weight. Not sure how well it'll work when I've already dropped a lot of weight and been low carb.

Reducing salt 2 or 3 days before.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• It seems that Mike Dolce has healthy weight cuts down to a science.  If I was going to do a weight cut for contact sports I would spring for his material.  I have heard him on Rogan's podcast and although he is a shameless shill you can't argue with his results.  It seems that people having issues making weight in UFC are put with him and the issue is solved.  Not sure if his regular books get into MMA applications but were I you I'd look into it.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Dolce stuff is rubbish, had a quick message with him (or whoever does his stuff) and he gives away very little info. I've done 8 weight cuts to 155lb (70kg) and I'd have missed every time with the limited info/advice he gives. Eating breakfast before weigh-in!!!! Lots of wheat and carbs in his diet too. Not sure how he gets so many guys in MMA. 

Feels like a 'One Eyed Man in the land of the blind' to me ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Has anyone tried a breif protein sparing modified fast?

I've been thinking about doing one of these for one day a week to boost fat loss.

For the uninitiated a PSMF is just eating meats or shakes all day, supplimenting with vitamins etc, the aims of this approach are to preserve muscle and strip fat rapidly. I belive its used on the morbidly obeast as an intervention type deal.

Lyle Mcdonald seems to be a big proponent.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Has anyone tried a breif protein sparing modified fast?

I've been thinking about doing one of these for one day a week to boost fat loss.

For the uninitiated a PSMF is just eating meats or shakes all day, supplimenting with vitamins etc, the aims of this approach are to preserve muscle and strip fat rapidly. I belive its used on the morbidly obeast as an intervention type deal.

Lyle Mcdonald seems to be a big proponent.

I did a cyclic type diet in which two days out of 5 were like that. I got the leanest ever. Good times...

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I did a cyclic type diet in which two days out of 5 were like that. I got the leanest ever. Good times...

That's awesome Reka, im doing BPC in the am with collagen and a whey shake or two in the day followed by lots of meat snd veg in the evening, with a carb up dinner one day a week, its going really well so far, leaning out slowly from 20ish % bf.

I haven't got the nerve to do a whole day of shakes yet, i fear that it will mess my sleep up. Maybe if i stall i'll try it.
  • It's possible that Dolce "gets so many guys in MMA." because his clients consistently make weight in all of the sports he supports. Especially MMA.

This topic is related to doing a weight cut while following the BP protocol. If you've already followed the protocol, what's the best way to lose the water weight and recover under 24 hours after weigh in?

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

When you look at it, most guys make weight! I've made weight 9 times and everyone I've cornered has hit weight. It's not a big thing on paper, more important is how much it affects your training and your performance in the fight.

For the last 6-10lbs before the weigh-in, to lose water, Salt bath, sauna suit wrapped up. You could exercise to sweat, but I don't wanna exercise just before a fight. Getting it back on it easy, as long as you don't stuff yourself or eat stuff you've not been eating during your camp. Save all the treats for after the fight.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• A week before the fight. Drink loads of water and eat plenty of salt and other electrolytes (minerals). Then cut the salt and water a few days before (first cut the electrolytes then the water). The reason you want to keep everyting high first is to get the body to upregulate the mineral wase so when you stop it will continue to loose minerals and water at a high pace. But you have to try this before competition to get the timing right for you. With that said, there are risks with dehydration so the best is to cut most weight by fat loss and to a lesser extent deplete the body of water an minerals.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1