Vegetables In Smoothies

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Lolol. I'll give that a shot with the remaining fresh ginger, then. Electric shaver dust is certainly preferable to the strands I was experiencing.

Also, I ended up ordering some of that organic ginger powder I linked to upthread. Hoping it's quality stuff. It was relatively affordable, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Ridiculous question here, but related to smoothies in general.

I add MCT oil to my smoothies. I drink my smoothie out of a glass, but like using a straw. The only straws I've got are plastic. Is this OK, or is it unsafe to use with the MCT oil in the drink? I mean, I drink it pretty fast, so I'm not sure if the MCT would have much of an opportunity to leech the plastic from the straw but... hell, am I over-thinking this?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Actually, I didn't know about acai being a nightshade! Thanks for tip. I might have to stay away from that one, then.

I'll look for some frozen wild blueberries next time I'm out (though I don't have a WF near me, so I might be outta luck). Maybe I'll just throw down for some conventional ginger. Are there any issues with eating the conventional stuff, or is it clean enough? That's my only concern. I don't remember seeing it listed on that "dirty dozen" list.

If there's a Costco near you, that's where I get frozen wild blueberries.

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

If there's a Costco near you, that's where I get frozen wild blueberries.

_________

Holy shit, I love you. I walked into Costco yesterday and left with a 4-pound bag of organic, frozen wild blueberries. Used them in my smoothie today and they were boss. A whole cup of them has about as much sugar as a serving of Lindt! I'm floored! And they're so tasty. Many thanks for the suggestion!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

Holy shit, I love you. I walked into Costco yesterday and left with a 4-pound bag of organic, frozen wild blueberries. Used them in my smoothie today and they were boss. A whole cup of them has about as much sugar as a serving of Lindt! I'm floored! And they're so tasty. Many thanks for the suggestion!

----

Well shit. At least I pointed out the wild aspect, but I feel like a dbag because I've been buying tiny bags at overpriced Whole Foods and thinking I was so smart. 

Also, on the ginger strands: I've never had strands in my smoothies with my blendtec, but I do end up with strands of something wound around the spindle that holds the blades, and it really sucks to get in there and remove them. I'd assumed they were from the celery I add, and I've been dicing it for this reason. But perhaps it's the ginger and I've been dicing the wrong ingredient... hmm... anyone get strands from celery?

I just placed an order for some high quality Spirulina and Chlorella. Going to incorporate both in my daily smoothies. Hope they don't taste too funky lol. I'm only now getting used to the spinach/avocado taste.

ACH85, Is celery a good choice? Do you notice it in the smoothie?  I'm not fond of eating the stuff, so if it imparts a strong celery flavor I'll probably sit that one out lol. I was thinking of adding cucumber, too.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

I just placed an order for some high quality Spirulina and Chlorella. Going to incorporate both in my daily smoothies. Hope they don't taste too funky lol. I'm only now getting used to the spinach/avocado taste.

ACH85, Is celery a good choice? Do you notice it in the smoothie?  I'm not fond of eating the stuff, so if it imparts a strong celery flavor I'll probably sit that one out lol. I was thinking of adding cucumber, too.

---

Might the spirulina and chlorella bind to some good stuff from the other veggies? I'm out of my depth there. 

I don't like the celery smell/flavor on it's own, and while it does impart a bit of that to the smoothie, it's not much at all. Probably more just the smell. I only use 2-3 stalks depending on size. Cucumbers are great. Both cucumbers and celery I use mainly because they are watery, so I figure I can use less water and have more nutrients, and overall more servings of veggies in the smoothie without it getting too thick. Surprisingly, the only thing my blendtec doesn't handle perfectly is the cucumber skin, but the biggest pieces are only maybe a millimeter square. 

Then again I'm still digging steamed white chard and 3 chopped brussels sprouts in my smoothies, so maybe I'm not the right guy to ask about flavor. I even choked down steamed collards in a smoothie. That was definitely pretty bitter. I can absolutely vouch for cucumbers though. 

Hmm, good question about the spirulina and chlorella. Never crossed my mind. Anyone else add that stuff to their smoothies? Any issues with it? For that matter, should I take spirulina and chlorella away from other supplements? Are they OK to take together?

Next time I'm at the store I'm going to pick up an organic cucumber and see how that goes. I might even try the celery, if I'm feeling adventurous.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I might even try the celery, if I'm feeling adventurous.

--- 

Again, Whole Foods, but I've seen individual stalks of celery for sale. That's just craziness. 

Unrelated, first I "vouch for cucumber," now you "feel adventurous and try celery." Anyone remember food innuendo guy?

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

No reason to have concern over the algae powders, they add nutrients.  Chlorella only detox's heavy metals and such.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

But will they wreck the taste of my smoothie? Lol

You can't ask someone that has had a combined 15g/day every day for 6 years, though if I were to have them stand alone in water, I would not look forward to the chlorella, I love the taste of spirulina, if I were to try to explain the color green to a blind person I would give him spirulina water and he'd be like "oh, ok, I get it"

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

Haha, well I'll start off with a lower dose of each and see if I can't get used to the taste. Or maybe I'll add in a few more blueberries to help mask it.

• Yeah, no problem about the blueberries! I was shocked how much sugar the things didn't have. Now I just need to find blackberries in a package like that...

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

Bought a cucumber today and it's pretty good in the smoothie. I think I'll make it a regular addition. I have some celery, too. Might wait a bit to try that one lol. I'll start slow with it, else it becomes a celery bomb.

How does this look as a daily supplement? Seems like it would add some extra nutrition to my smoothie. Any opinions on it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038B3AAK

vq4fc8e628.jpg

How does this look as a daily supplement? Seems like it would add some extra nutrition to my smoothie. Any opinions on it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038B3AAK

edited April 2014

What... what did I do? D:

Mark Sisson said he'd heard good things about it, and it looks decent. Unless I'm just an idiot, which is entirely possible, I guess. What's wrong with it?

I guess you haven't seen my many rants on green powder blends, I swear you guys are trying to get me amped haha. Look at the ingredients, first pick out all the ones you think are useless fillers ie "why am I paying for carrot powder and apple fibre", if that exercise didn't do it for you, divide the number of ingredients in one of the "blends" by the amount in the blend, you will see a very small number aka "pixie dust". Now you could just take 4-5 servings as one serving but then the true cost of the product is revealed and will make you angry.

I guess you haven't seen my many rants on green powder blends, I swear you guys are trying to get me amped haha. Look at the ingredients, first pick out all the ones you think are useless fillers ie "why am I paying for carrot powder and apple fibre", if that exercise didn't do it for you, divide the number of ingredients in one of the "blends" by the amount in the blend, you will see a very small number aka "pixie dust". Now you could just take 4-5 servings as one serving but then the true cost of the product is revealed and will make you angry.

Sorry, haha. I guess I hadn't seen your previous rants. That's a good point, though.

• Also, isn't goji a nightshade?

edited April 2014

Also, isn't goji a nightshade?

Yep, it is. If I were to use such a blend, I'd have to find one without it. I'll be sticking to the spirulina and chlorella rather than powders like these.

My chlorella came in. I've been using a teaspoon and haven't noticed much of a taste, so that's good. I might up the dosage a little more. My spirulina should be in any day now. Looking forward to trying it. Tried the celery and it was all right, but I much prefer the cucumber. Today I ran out of avocado, so I made a smoothie with:

Big handful of spinach

Half a cucumber

A cup of blueberries

Half a banana

Can of coconut milk

MCT oil

Organic ginger powder

Chlorella

A bit of Gerolsteiner mineral water

It tastes like dessert to me, waaaay too sweet lol. The banana is great, but I don't think I needed it on top of the berries. From here on out I think I'll stick to a single fruit. Loving these smoothies, though. Great way to pack a lot of nutrition into my morning. And, uh, they sure do keep me regular. Lol.

Hey, how bad are bananas? I've looked at the infographic, and I see that they're kind of in the yellow/orange area, but based on what I've been reading, they're relatively low in fructose and rather nutritious. I had to add one to my smoothie today to mask the flavor of the spirulina. I'm sure I'll be able to wean down to less than a whole banana a day, but honestly, how bad are they? Compared to a lot of other fruits I might eat, they seem like a smart choice and I've read that their glucose to fructose ratio is one of the best. Thoughts?

No fruit in the AM, if you want to mask the flavor, buy a bottle of lemon flavor natural calm (use tsp) or lemon fish oil, your triglycerides will love you for it.  Bananas would have to be pretty green (unripe) to not start your system on a blood sugar wave.

Even if I only eat one meal a day? Usually I just drink my smoothie while my meal cooks, about an hour after I get up. I guess I could do the smoothie later in the day, though.

Thinking I might pick up some bitter melon to throw in my smoothie after reading Mark Sisson's write-up today. Hopefully it won't make my smoothie taste like crap; the spirulina was only doable today because of the banana I added lol. Also toying with the idea of picking up some Lion's Mane mushroom powder to add in there. Found a source for it that looks good. I know mushrooms are generally not BP, but what do you guys think about something like this?

• As far as mushroom powder goes, I think you need to test your own body to see how sensitive it is to mushrooms. I know we stay away from most kind other than the occasional shitake or portabello...maybe once every two months just for a change of flavors. 

I wonder what bitter melon tastes like and if you need to cook it to get the benefits? Let us know...the Asian market always has them and I would love a new flavor and cooking tool!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

I wonder what bitter melon tastes like and if you need to cook it to get the benefits? Let us know...the Asian market always has them and I would love a new flavor and cooking tool!

_______

I hear it's really, really bitter, haha. I found an Asian grocery not too far from me, so I might pick some up today. Will report back! Everything I've read seems to indicate that it has to be eaten raw to get the benefits. Throwing it in a smoothie seems like the easiest way to do that.

edited April 2014

UPDATE: Just visited two Asian markets in my area. Neither of them had it :(

I guess the Asian markets around here just suck. They had lots of expired snacks, though. And one of the markets reeked profoundly of urine. So that's something.

Alas. I'll have to search for it elsewhere.

• i know juicing pretty much extracts the fiber from fruits/vegetables but does anyone know what something like a nutribullet would do? If no nutritional value is lost then there's pretty much no downside but it seems too good to be true..