Vegetables In Smoothies

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Isn't a nutribullet just a blender? I imagine all of the fiber and nutrition would remain in blending fruits and veggies-- only certain fats are damaged by blending at high speed, no?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• and whey too with denaturing but you're probably right. just feels like drinking vegetables would have a different effect in the body cause your stomach doesn't have to do as much work to digest it, so maybe it breaks it down less so the vitamins/fiber etc are less potent. or I'm overthinking and green smoothies are actually a delicious, easy way to get in half a days veggies in a pretty filling drink. coconut milk, spinach, celery, green/red peppers, cucumbers, mct, and stevia- breakfast heaven

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I think you're overthinking it, so long as you're careful with proteins (long strands of amino acids that you can break) a blender is just like chewing really, really well. Even if I'm wrong and it is damaging something, I know that personally I simply wouldn't eat the same amount of veggies without a blender, so I have to think it's a net positive. Maybe it's better to leave the fiber in longer strands?

BTW if you're thinking of buying a blender, I don't think anyone has regretted spending the extra for a Blendtec or Vitamix. I spent $100 on a blender only to realize it wasn't really going to do everything I wanted it to, and now use my Blendtec 3x a day on average. 

The nutribullet looks OK, but I just don't know how you could get any real volume in there based on the pictures. I start with a cucumber and generally end up with close to a 48oz smoothie. The nutribullet looks like it could fit maybe one whole cucumber in it if you diced it. Plus, it doesn't have different blend cycles, which are really helpful if you want to make crushed ice, almond butter, soups, or anything else where texture matters. And personally I can't stand their marketing. 

• definitely a net positive regardless you're right about that. I'll invest in a better blender as soon as I can- I'm 18 and the nutribullet was mothers idea..pretty much for green drinks only and a normal cheap blender for other things. I've never tried making my own almond butter or soup but that certainly makes it worth the investment. Thanks a bunch!!!!

My fucking blender broke this morning. I'd loaded all of my wonderful smoothie goodness into it. Then I hit the button and it pulsed for a split second. And then it never made a sound again.

Please god, kill me. Wish I had the dolla dolla billz for a $500+ Vitamix or something.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Please god, kill me. Wish I had the dolla dolla billz for a $500+ Vitamix or something.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will have a moment of silence. No, seriously, that fucking sucks. 

You can get refurbished high-end ones, check ebay, etc. Keep in mind that when you buy high-end, they'll just ship you a new motor if this happens under the 7 year warranty, so it is an investment that may pay off. 

Aside from that, I've been chopping my veggies first lately so that I can fit more in, but that's a good strategy with an underpowered blender too. It really isn't much more effort if you chop once or twice lengthwise, then many times at a 90 degree angle to the first cuts, and you end up with tiny cubes that are easier on the blender.

But you know, I'm late with advice, sorry. But everyone else - dice your veggies. 

Might look into a refurbished one! Thanks for the tip.

• edited April 2014

Kale's great, but according to Dave you should steam or blanch it, drain it, and filter out the oxalic acid with calcium and magnesium.

I'm in the middle of a no kale experiment due to acne, so I switched to collard greens and brussels sprouts last week - both steamed/drained, but no cal/mag. It tasted bitter, but was doable. I went to the grocery store today, and they were out of collards, so I went for green swiss chard. Today was about half a bunch of swiss chard and 3 brussels spouts, steamed/drained, and it was actually pretty tasty. The chard is nice. I broke off the part of the stem below the leaf, but it was tender enough that I don't think I needed to. 

I always use a cucumber for water volume and 2-3 celery stalks depending on their size. Plus a chunk of ginger, which I peel with a knife (though the edge of a spoon works too) because supposedly the peel can have some anti-nutrients. 

I like tossing in an avocado - Hass is optimal - for a little bit of fat and a thicker/smoother feel, though I could see why you might not like it. I try to include some type of fat: avocado, MCT, or the not-so-bulletproof hemp seeds, because fat aids in absorbing all the veggies' nutrients. 

I'll sometimes add protein, and occasionally fruit, but I try to stick to the lowest-sugar berries due to the fact that I make sure there's fat in the shake. 

I'm pretty well convinced Dave is a rare breed that has highly unusual food sensitivities, especially in regards to oxalic acid/goitegenic compounds.  Studies are mixed on oxalic acid-rich foods and incidents of kidney stones, as well as cruciferous vegetables having a negative impact on thyroid function (some studies show the opposite in fact).  I've also heard cooking has a negligable impact on oxalic acid content, like around a 10% reduction, so I really fail to understand what all the hoopla is about.  He never mentions the oxalic acid content of cacao either, which is pretty high.

Peeling my ginger and steaming my kale is too much time and trouble for me.  I use them both straight and feel great after drinking, and have for well over a year now, nearly every day.  I also include celery, cilantro, lemon (peeled), about a 1/2 serving of frozen pineapple, and ice cubes.  I sometimes add spinnach as well (which is off-the-charts high in oxalic acid, which Dave also never talks about and it's like the #2 ingredient in the Rogan recipe).  

I've played around with beets, but they mostly taste like dirt raw.  Not terrible, but not great imo.  It will turn your poop and pee bright red, which can be alarming if you're not expecting it!

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

The infographic says to cook spinach.  When looking at cacao, usage for this product by weight is way less than whole food items and consumption is most likely never unheated first (no one is singing the praises of raw cacao powder smoothies).  Definitely some people will be more prone to experiencing the side effects, but the point really is "what's better than the full dose of something that could cause an issue?" at least less of it and/or just being aware of it for analysis, this concept is at the heart of the entire project.

I'm pretty well convinced Dave is a rare breed that has highly unusual food sensitivities, especially in regards to oxalic acid/goitegenic compounds.  Studies are mixed on oxalic acid-rich foods and incidents of kidney stones, as well as cruciferous vegetables having a negative impact on thyroid function (some studies show the opposite in fact).  I've also heard cooking has a negligable impact on oxalic acid content, like around a 10% reduction, so I really fail to understand what all the hoopla is about.  He never mentions the oxalic acid content of cacao either, which is pretty high.

Peeling my ginger and steaming my kale is too much time and trouble for me.  I use them both straight and feel great after drinking, and have for well over a year now, nearly every day.  I also include celery, cilantro, lemon (peeled), about a 1/2 serving of frozen pineapple, and ice cubes.  I sometimes add spinnach as well (which is off-the-charts high in oxalic acid, which Dave also never talks about and it's like the #2 ingredient in the Rogan recipe).  

I've played around with beets, but they mostly taste like dirt raw.  Not terrible, but not great imo.  It will turn your poop and pee bright red, which can be alarming if you're not expecting it!

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm pretty well convinced Dave is a rare breed that has highly unusual food sensitivities, especially in regards to oxalic acid/goitegenic compounds.

Peeling my ginger and steaming my kale is too much time and trouble for me. 

Cool. When I eat gluten and pasteurized dairy I feel fine, but large amounts of raw kale give me acne within 48 hours. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But also don't complain if you get a kidney stone. 

• I bought the Nutribullet 900 (pro) 6 months ago. It's pretty amazing for $150. But the 32 oz. bottle really only holds 24 oz. (barely). I have used it 2 to 3 times a day for six months and i really have not come across anything it can not liquify accept lemon rind. I use huge chunks of ginger and lots of celery and no strands whatsoever. I am going to upgrade to a Vita-mix 750 or Blendtec designer 725 because they do so much more. 

I've been forced to use a crappy little "personal" sized blender I bought at a local store since I haven't had much cash money for a proper one. Been missing my smoothies; the personal blender is tiny and I don't want to throw too much in there lest it explode. As a result, I haven't been drinking them daily. Alas. Been meaning to look into refurbed Vitamixes, so maybe come payday I'll go looking for one.

• Personally, I don't like to mix sweet smoothies with vegetables.  So, for veggie smoothies, this is what I do:

Whatever veg, (I plan on using steamed kale a la Noogis,) celery, whatever.

A bit of cilantro

A bit of garlic

A bit of lemon juice and a little bit of lemon peel

A bit of himalayan salt

A bit of olive oil

Avocado if I have it

Protein of my choice

A bit of cayenne pepper and/or turmeric if you're feelin it

And some homemade grass fed full fat yogurt, if I have it.

It makes a delightful savoury smoothie.  I don't know if this is anyone's cup of 'tea,' but I love it.

Question for Noogis:  How do you make your frozen veggies last when you take them to work, and in general -- how do you keep the ingredients fresh and how do you blend at work?  Just curious.

• edited June 2014

I've been forced to use a crappy little "personal" sized blender I bought at a local store since I haven't had much cash money for a proper one. Been missing my smoothies; the personal blender is tiny and I don't want to throw too much in there lest it explode. As a result, I haven't been drinking them daily. Alas. Been meaning to look into refurbed Vitamixes, so maybe come payday I'll go looking for one.

If you go to Blendtec's website they have really good deals on the refurbished classic series. I think it's $279. They are great blenders. You should check it out.

Spoiler alert:

Cranberries in a veggie smoothie are horrendous. I made a smoothie today with:

Mixed lettuces

Cucumber

Coconut milk

Cranberries

Ginger

I'm struggling to suck it down. The sour/tart flavor is just too overpowering to enjoy. I should've stuck with blueberries ;-;

• Cranberries in a veggie smoothie are horrendous. 

The President / CEO of Ocean Spray sent a letter to the FDA asking for exemption from a future requirement of listing added sugars separately in the nutrition facts. You can download the whole thing here, but let me pull out a relevant quote:

Yet, cranberries (unlike grapes, apples and oranges) are naturally low in sugar, giving them a distinctively tart, astringent and even unpalatable taste

- CEO of the biggest cranberry company

edited November 2014

- CEO of the biggest cranberry company

He really knows how to sell them! Lol.

I mean, I'd had cranberries before, so I sort of knew what to expect. Actually drinking the thing proved super unpleasant though. I still have some cranberries left that I'll have to begrudgingly use up, but I'll probably include a little blueberry or banana action in there to help allay the tartness. Cuz damn. I'd wanted to try something other than the usual fruits, and found that cranberries were fairly Bulletproof. But now I know why virtually every recipe for cranberry relish calls for like 2+ cups of sugar...

• Using a nutra bullet:

Handfull of Kale, Chard, or Spinach.

2 tablespoons of Nutiva hemp powder.

Fill it up with unsweetened almond milk and slam it.

I'll occasionally put some frozen blueberries or other frozen fruit in there.

BP coffee after that and that is my breakfast every morning. I find the Chard and Spinach is a lot easier to down then the Kale. Unless its Lacinto kale (The non-curly leaf type).

Question:

I make smoothies almost daily and have decided I really should take Dave's advice and steam my spinach/kale. Up to this point I've been too damn lazy. How do you guys go about this? I seem to remember one member blanching or steaming their greens in bulk, ringing them out a little and then throwing a portion into the slots of an ice cube tray with some purified water. Voila, spinach/kale-filled ice cubes. Straight into the blender for smoothies. Would this work? Would the greens keep? If so, I might give it a shot.

• Bamboo steamer for 5 min or so then dump in blender. I think the sooner you eat something the less time for the nutrients to degrade, but I might be wrong.
  • My Blendtec blender arrived today. I'm going to start making some kickass smoothies in a few weeks, when I break my water-fast. Lulz.

• SystemSystem mod
    edited April 2015

Acai was mentioned in this thread.

You can get some super high quality acai berry for cheap here.

My original plan was to purchase this (very popular brand), but if you do the math (90 grams for $18 vs 453 grams for $50), it's a no-brainer to go with the other one. 

• I found this site this morning with some cool looking recipes: 

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20559953,00.html

• ^^Just use frozen blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, or any combination of the three, then there is no weening to consider. My smoothie? (Supplements omitted) 1scoop vanilla protein, 500ml coconut water (or water if not exercising), 170g frozen blackberries, 10g spirulina, 5g chlorella, 2tbsp lemon fish oil, 2-4 raw eggs. Blend berries and water on high then add the rest on low.

ZERO NUTS strikes again

• My fucking blender broke this morning. I'd loaded all of my wonderful smoothie goodness into it. Then I hit the button and it pulsed for a split second. And then it never made a sound again.

you could always sell your bulletproof body for a new blender

you could always sell your bulletproof body for a new blender

That'd make one hell of a Craigslist ad:

Casual Encounters:

DTF. MEET ME IN THE WAREHOUSE DISTRICT AFTER HOURS. COME ALONE. WILL ACCEPT PAYMENT IN THE FORM OF BULLETPROOF COFFEE BEANS OR A BLENDTEC. WILL WHISPER SEXY THINGS IN YOUR EAR ABOUT MYCOTOXINS OR THE GLYMPHATIC SYSTEM IF YOU WANT.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

ZERO NUTS strikes again

The snark is strong in this one.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
    edited April 2015

Someone (ACH85, I think?) recommended chard. Tried rainbow chard in my smoothie this morning. I'd used a small amount in the past, but added a sizable fistful today rather than the usual kale and spinach. It was pretty good and the taste wasn't particularly strong. Recommended!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm all about the chard. My un-researched but reasonable assumption is that by cycling the colors of chard I'm cycling polyphenols. Chard should still be cooked though. It's almost a shame to blend up gorgeous rainbow chard. My chef friend made me eggs florentine with rainbow chard instead of spinach, which was downright beautiful. It's a great way to make veggies look really appealing, and the stems have more crunch than spinach and aren't as tough as kale. 

• edited May 2015
    Hi guys, i've been triying some resipes in a book and i think this is my favorite one :)

Pina Colada

• 1 cup frozen pineapple pieces

• 1 frozen banana

• 1/2 cup oranges, peeled

• 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, full fat

• 1/3 cups coconut milk, full fat

• 3 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut

• 1 scoop of grass fed, undenatured

whey protein

blend all of them.

I couldn't found the book right now but if manage to find the link i will post it :)

Found it!

By the way, this is my first post so i am happy to be here and i am now digging the forum :)