Ketosis Levels Slowly Dropping

I started a relatively strict ketogenic diet this past summer and was able to maintain reasonably good levels of ketosis (between 1-3 mmil). I noticed however that by the fall, it was rare that my levels went above 1 mmol, and now, it is rare to get them have .5. I am eating pretty much the exact same diet (5-10% carbs, 12-20% protein, 75-85% fat), yet my ketones just aren't rising.  I eat such a clean diet so this is all very confusing. Sometimes I try a carb meal to shift things up, and my ketones rise a bit, but then they go down again. I do IF quite often, eating within an 8 hour window. 

I don't understand what's going on. Someone said that maybe my body is just adapted to burning fat, but I really need the higher ketones for my brain. It's only when the levels get above 1 that I feel the actual benefits of ketosis - in terms of clarity, focus, etc. 

Would love some help understanding this. Has anyone heard of this before? 

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Is this keto strips? They measure excess ketones excreted in urine. Perhaps you are slowly getting better at using all the ketones you produce, then when you increase carbs you start burning more glucose, and voila, you have excess ketones which get excreted in urine. 

• I'm referring to the blood levels which are getting lower and lower. I don't really use the strips regularly.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

That's pretty weird. Hopefully someone else here can pinpoint what's going on, but as for the brain benefits you're looking for, have you tried MCT or brain octane oil? My understanding is that the C8 in brain octane can't be stored by the body and can only be used by the brain. 

• You may need to tweak your levels of protein, carbs and fats.

Try adding in more carbs, you'd be surprised, some people can do a fair few and stay in ketosis. Or, lower your protein... up your fats..

Keeping adjusting. :)

Are you IF'ing ?

• GarrettGarrett
    edited March 2014

How much MCT Oil are you consuming each day? And when are you testing the levels? And what type of carbs are you eating? What's your activity level like? What are your stress levels like?

• To get my fasting glucose to 62 mg/dL before surgery on the keto diet I had to do two things that were critical: 1) reduce total calories to <=700 per day and 2) eat 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs.  BTW I felt great and doctors and nurses were surprised by my recovery time.  Lost 20 lbs in 18 days (205 to 185 lbs).   I think the BG fasting is better guide vs ketone values as long as you have good energy.  Try a therapeutic fast too!

• You're not the first person on Keto to mention 80/15/5 and feeling great on it. Hmm! :)

To get my fasting glucose to 62 mg/dL before surgery on the keto diet I had to do two things that were critical: 1) reduce total calories to <=700 per day and 2) eat 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs.  BTW I felt great and doctors and nurses were surprised by my recovery time.  Lost 20 lbs in 18 days (205 to 185 lbs).   I think the BG fasting is better guide vs ketone values as long as you have good energy.  Try a therapeutic fast too!

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave&#33;
    edited March 2014

We love the new Bulletproof Mod!  Doing a fine job!  Thanks for your hard work!!!

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• This is my understanding as well. Over time ketone levels drop as your body becomes better at utilizing them. Here's one n=1 chart that represents this:

https://www.grc.com/health/ketone_history.pdf

In 2013 I've been in ketosis with very few exceptions.

The better my body got at the conversion of triglycerides to ketones the higher my blood ketone levels went. But, when the different organs improve their ability of using ketones, blood levels go down again. Summer to fall could be about three months? You can certainly feel benefits of ketosis after short time, but it takes several months until every metabolic pathway related to ketogenesis and utilization of ketones is fully established. Constantly adjusting your diet to your goals is the key as your metabolic setup changes.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I do IF and eat within an 8 hour window  -usually between 12-8pm. I also do BP coffee in the morning, but am wondering if that is lowering my ketones by breaking the fast. 

I generally do 2-4 TBS of Brain Octaine or MCT and don't notice much of a difference between the two. I test ketones generally in the am and after 15-16 hours of fasting, then again a few hours after eating.  

I eat very few carbs in the form of grains, but interestingly, the one night i added 1/2 cup of rice, my ketones shot up. Why would that be? 

Also, two day/s week, I avoid protein altogether. That used to raise my ketones significantly, and now it doesn't hardly to anything in terms of getting them above 1.0.

I am feeling really discouraged. I'd love to think my body is just more efficient at burning ketones, but if that were the case, one would think I'd experience the benefits of ketosis especially in terms of brain clarity, focus,e tc - which I don't at all. I know when I'm in that zone, and i don't get there very much anymore even though nothing has changed much in my diet.Could that still mean, however, that I am burning ketones? 

Please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming. I'd love to try and figure out what's going on.   

By the way, am i supposed to be getting email notifications when a new post arrives? I'm signed up to follow the post but receive nothing. I had no idea people and been positing. 

Thanks.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

By the way, am i supposed to be getting email notifications when a new post arrives? I'm signed up to follow the post but receive nothing. I had no idea people and been positing. 

---

Adjust "Notification Options" in "My Settings" in the drop-down menu top right next to your name. 

And yeah, weird problem, keep us updated. Hopefully you're just getting better at using ketones. 

• This is my understanding as well. Over time ketone levels drop as your body becomes better at utilizing them. Here's one n=1 chart that represents this:

https://www.grc.com/health/ketone_history.pdf

Thanks so much for sharing this. This is exactly the trend I am noticing. Do you still "feel" the Wow factor" of ketosis when your numbers are this low. I'm not, so it's making me feel that the ketosis isn't impacting the brain. 

• You could probably consume more MCT Oil... :) Something to think about.

• Danny78949,

Welcome to the Bulletproof forum!  Let the moderators know if we can be of assistance

Regards,

BP Moderator