Pramiracetam Versus Piracetam

Pramiracetam versus Piracetam - Newbie question.  What is the difference between these two?  Are they both water soluble?  

I bought a bottle of Aniracetam when Dave sold it on his site, but didn't notice any effects.  

Any suggestions on what I should try and where are the best sources for quality products?  I am looking for basic memory, cognitive function, and focus.  

Comments

• Pramiracetam, just like aniracetam, is derived from piracetam. Additionally, it is fat soluble, so absorption is maximized when prami is taken with a meal rich in healthy fats. This also makes pramiracetam one of the strongest racetams available, reportedly 8-30 times stronger than piracetam.

Users report improved alertness and cognitive function as its primary effects, although it seems to improve mood in some people as well. However, what makes pramiracetam special is that it’s also a powerful nootropic potentiator – it can improve the potency of other racetams when they are combined in the same dose. Remember to always start with the lowest recommended dose (100mg) when creating a stack, in order to find that 'sweet spot' which works best for you.

Because it is a racetam, one should take it in conjuntion with a source of choline as acetylcholine is depleted while using pramiracetam.

• Any suggestions on what I should try and where are the best sources for quality products?  I am looking for basic memory, cognitive function, and focus.  

There are number of good vendors, including a couple on this forum. Longecity is also a good forum for developing a better understanding of Nootropics and what type of stack might serve you best.

• What TimH said is a good overview so I will not repeat it (although pram/ani are analogues of piracetam not derived from it).

That being said, he left out how badly pramiracetam tastes. Unless you have a very high tolerance, I suggest you get capsules. The taste is strong, texturally atrocious, and long lasting. Highly recommend against it.

• @Brainstorm11 I have always consumed Prami in tablet form. Thanks to your post I will ensure I never take it in powder form. 

• MusicMusic Music is Math

Isochroma once described pramiracetam having no taste yet being akin to a thousand ants biting his tongue, and as far as I can tell that is the best way to put it lol.  Absolutely horrible stuff taste wise.  

Anyway, I have a lot of experience with both of these substances.  Prami seems to be a lot more potent than piracetam when it comes to memory.  Prami will make me like a sponge, absorbing information from multiple sources at once, although I generate a tolerance to this effect quickly if used to often.  Piracetam as no subjective for me.  

Also- how long where you taking the aniracetam? Many 'racetams take time to build up in one's system which take effect after multiple days usage.  You may need to give it some more time.

Newstarnootropics.com is my preffered place to buy from.  Use the coupon REDDITS for 20% off.

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Thanks for the ref to link. Will look into that. Did do a quick search and found out that:

"Piracetam: First Racetam to be discovered 1964. Subsequent studies have shown that piracetam is virtually non-toxic, has very few side effects, and enhances verbal memory".

"Pramiracetam: Derived from piracetam 1978,  One of the most potent Racetam available, and is considered to be between 8 and 30 times stronger than piracetam but different effects. Has a cumulative effect over time".

and interestingly:

"Oxiracetam:First of these new so-called piracetam analogues to be released, and was followed by aniracetam and pramiracetam. These new piracetam analogues are generally claimed to be significantly more potent than piracetam, and are becoming increasingly popular".

No experience here taking the stuff but thought it was info worth knowing.

• Thanks for the ref to link. Will look into that. Did do a quick search and found out that:

"Piracetam: First Racetam to be discovered 1964. Subsequent studies have shown that piracetam is virtually non-toxic, has very few side effects, and enhances verbal memory".

"Pramiracetam: Derived from piracetam 1978,  One of the most potent Racetam available, and is considered to be between 8 and 30 times stronger than piracetam but different effects. Has a cumulative effect over time".

and interestingly:

"Oxiracetam:First of these new so-called piracetam analogues to be released, and was followed by aniracetam and pramiracetam. These new piracetam analogues are generally claimed to be significantly more potent than piracetam, and are becoming increasingly popular".

No experience here taking the stuff but thought it was info worth knowing.

========

Not entirely sure where the info came from, but aniracetam was developed as a piracetam analogue before oxiracetam. Decades before, actually.

• NickatNickat
    edited April 2014
    Are you saying aniracetam developed as a piracetam analogue before oxiracetam has a negligible difference then?

Maybe subtleties however fine need to be adjusted in a timeline here. Your thoughts please brainstom11.
  • I'll have to look again, but if I remember correctly, aniracetam was developed in the late 1970s and oxiracetam in the 1990s. I'm not saying anything about efficacy, only when it was developed.

• NickatNickat
    edited April 2014

Okay cool. We just speculated that if the supplement was modified at a later date but was almost the same...that it was rebranded under a new name to achieve the same efficacy using a slightly different pathway. Your right of course oxiracetam is the newest. So which is better and why?

• Okay cool. We just speculated that if the supplement was modified at a later date but was almost the same...that it was rebranded under a new name to achieve the same efficacy using a slightly different pathway. Your right of course oxiracetam is the newest. So which is better and why?

=============

It totally depends on the person and what you are looking for, to be honest. 

They are similar and effect some of the similar parts of the brain, but I would not say they are almost the same.

• SeraphimSeraphim
    edited March 2015

I would have to say pramiracetam has a major edge in my experience over piracetam. I think one variable would be contextually. I mean in my work place accuracy, organization, physical stamina, high stress and very noisy enviroment favors more pramiracetam, it really gives me a sense of lucid organized awareness, problem solving and anticipating outcomes. It may sound strange but it also has a social component in verbal competences and being able to find the right words. That being said ,it does make me feel very introspective and robotic, oddly even though I feel a certain confidence in verbal communication, I would rather not engage in superfluous conversations. It's as if I would rather enjoy deeper thinking and more substantive mental content. I understand why it would be great for students and intellectual pursuits of various kinds. Very much rocket fuel for the brain.

Piracetam is more subtle and for me only differed with the above in level of efficiency. In other words it did everything in the above just not at the strength a less powerful and yet quite impressive substance. The main difference I notice between Pramiracetam and piracetam is problem solving and depth of thought, logic, and physical agility partially because generally spatial awareness was greatly improved in pramiracetam. In piracetam if I were to be critical of it would be that it gets you there cognitively and focus wise it just couldn't seem to bring about as smooth of a flow of cognitive efficiency.

pramiracetam 2x a day at 300-400mg/ alpha gpc 2x a day 200-300mg

Piracetam 2x a day at 600-800mg/ alpha gpc 2x a day 500-700mg

I hope this helps, the disorganized content reflects l theanine and coffee and not me under influence of either pramiracetam or piracetam!

• edited March 2015

Not that it matters too much, but brainstorm is right about the ani, as it was developed in the 1970's (check out Smarter Nootropics' post about Aniracetam http://www.smarternootropics.com/table-of-contents/aniracetam/), and Oxiracetam was developed in Italy in the 90's ( http://www.smarternootropics.com/oxiracetam/ ).

I whole-heartedly agree with Brainstorm that pram tastes bad, I personally don't mind the piracetam powder, but the pram I try to avoid and use capsule, especially because the required dose is relatively small compared to piracetam.  

Check out Pure Nootropics for high quality nootropics that have been third party tested. All order come with 30 day money back guarantee. 10% Discount for Bulletproof Members with coupon code "bulletproof10".

• @TimH / @Seraphim you guys mention the dosage amounts. Are those the dosage when you start out with or are those when you stack them together. I know in the pass i have taken these 2 and other nootropics. Did like some of them and other I didn't.

At the moment I have piracetam that i'm taking about 1.6g twice a day and at night 500mg oxiracetam. That doesn't include during the week I take modifinil about 300mg a day or something 200mg depending on the day. 

What i'm trying to figure out since is the dosage i should start out with. like i said i have aniracetam/piracetam/oxiraceam/pramiratam at home. 

• @Louie77, I began pramiracetam at 100 mgs and alpha gpc at 200mgs. I took this dose with water and little to know food in my system. I realized upon researching that a guy said that he found he had a better experience by dosing pramiracetam and alpha gpc with oil and high fat food. I gave this a try and sure enough, the absorption and reaction time was increased greatly. I beleive if I am not mistaken pramiracetam is fat soluble and piracetam is water soulable. In regard to beginning dose with piracetam, I stuck to package directions for a week and then upped it to a reasonable dose, which you can see above in my post. I mainly use when I use, exclusively pramiracetam and alpha gpc together, I do not use them with any other stacks except ashwanghanda , rhodiola rosea and l theanine, of which I take one of these three every two days rotating between them. I am a firm beleiver in health discipline ( eating nutrient dense foods, daily practice of prayer/meditation, sleeping 7 to 8 hrs, intermittent fasting, good multi vitiamin, enough water, coffee and walking for at least half hour each day. IMO you must have a good foundation to really use nootropics, adapt gens and other resources to gain maximum benefit.