When Paleo/bp Living Is Not An Option For A Time, What Are Some Ways To Minimize Damage? Let's D

Hello Bulletproofers!

I will use myself as an example, but in this thread I would like to create a pool of information for those of us who have sporadic lifestyles that may at times make it difficult or impossible to stay bulletproof.  Perhaps we can all put our experiences, tips, and advice together?

I have been traveling for the past three weeks.  Though I have cans of sardines, some MCT oil, some Brain Octane, some butter and ghee, nuts, seeds, proteins, and of course -- BP Coffee + accessories, the simple fact is -- through many many circumstances I have not been able to completely stay BP.  I am working in the field with little time and almost no access to BP food (it's winter here,) and  I have been eating carbs and sugars, and I am sure I am not in ketosis much if ever.  I use glutathione and a ton of other supplements -- all of the cod liver and krill oils, salmon oil, vit. K, etc. etc. etc...  But there are surely toxins in my food, as well as wheat and sugar.

What can I (or someone like me) do to A. minimize the damage and keep weight off, and B. return to BP smoothly after this period is over?

And the scientific part of the question, for those of you in the know:  When the body is out of ketosis and burns glucose for energy, is it still a good idea to eat MCT and butter?

Thank you.  Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Comments

• I think we as first adaptors all have this problem with the BP diet.  One of the first things that came to my mind was get some activated charcoal to absorb many of the toxins you are being exposed to. At xmas time Dave put an article on how to minimise the 'damage' done over the holidays, that may be worth a read for ya! 

It seems there aren't a lot of options for food choice so you need to address the damage after its done!

The best part is that you are mindful of what options you have in front of you that will limit the effect of these foods.  

IMO You can still eat butter and MCT oil, the route to ketosis is to restrict your carbs, also mct is used to speed up ketosis.  

If you are eating carbs, try to use some intermittant fasting and push your carbs further on in the day where insulin sensitivity isnt as apparent.  The first half of the day will be your fat burning period.  I have been travelling a bunch of times and I always thought I would put weight on, but I never did and its because I walked so much, I was walking everywhere, exploring and usually skipping breakfast, this kept me ultra lean.

Hope my info helps!

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• Thank you, Hotspoons!  I did not know this about insulin sensitivity being less in the latter part of the day.  Funny, I have been trying to do just that, instinctually -- to have my BP coffee and no breakfast, and then to eat carbs at dinner time when there is nothing else.  I do have charcoal with me, tons of it, as always.  Also, I did read Dave's 'reducing damage' posts.  I do all of that, and I am not drinking -- which helps.

• Your bulletproof instincts kicked in!!  :-)

if you look at any of Kiefer's diets namely Carb backloading and Carb Nite the basis is an upsidedown version of most peoples view of carbs.. Instead of eating all your carbs early on, its flipped and the day is split into 2 stages.. Your fat burning stage pre workout and post workout carb load...

You fuel your body for the next day, while taking advantage of insulin sensitivity/fat burn in the am, and muscle growth through the aftenoon and evening.. Your insulin sensitivity drops throughout the day that is unless you have a pretty vigorous training session which sensitises the insulin response.  

So if you only have access to sugary or processed carbs, they can be eaten with less risk if you like to workout.  Have a check also at Tim Ferriss's 4hb, before eating a big meal he does a quick body weight workout lasting like 3 minutes, he says helps your body use the nutrients from the meal to your lean advantage.. Lots of little hacks worth trying.

My diet is IF with bpc through to 5pm then train heavy and hit the carbs after, I try to stay as bp as possible so my starchy carb of choice is the sweet potato.. I ate 700g of sweet potato last night, it was amazing with grass fed butter and loads of himalayan pink salt..  :-) 

There's glutithione, vitamin c and copper which are some supps dave reccommends.  They sorted me out over xmas!! Vitamin d3 (but you are prob getting lots of that) 

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• Good conversation. I have nothing to add, but look forward to reading more.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

What can I (or someone like me) do to A. minimize the damage and keep weight off, and B. return to BP smoothly after this period is over?

And the scientific part of the question, for those of you in the know:  When the body is out of ketosis and burns glucose for energy, is it still a good idea to eat MCT and butter?

Thank you.  Please share your thoughts and experiences.

---

As for the MCT, there's a more in depth discussion on that over here. I say go for it. Butter is trickier... the fat content will blunt blood sugar spikes, but if you still manage to spike your blood sugar, and therefore insulin, you'll be storing the metabolized butter in your fat cells (or potentially muscle cells if you just worked out and activated GLUT-4 in skeletal muscles.) Storing a bit of butter isn't necessarily unhealthy, but it does generally mean a bit of fat gain. 

I never have a problem transitioning back to healthy eating after a day or two of unhealthy. Longer still isn't very hard, I just eat a bit more dark chocolate or nuts to satisfy any cravings in a reasonably healthy way. 

This might be controversial around here, and it might also be a placebo effect... but I generally feel better if I eat better versions of bad food - the ones with fewer and more organic ingredients. A few slices of chain-store pizza will make me feel run down, but the pizza they make at Whole Foods, not so much. Chain Italian restaurants makes me feel crappy, but even a big dinner of pasta and bread at a nice Italian restaurant that makes everything from scratch is something I feel like I can handle pretty well for one meal. Cheez whiz < aged Cabot cheddar. For me the "food" that clearly knocks me on my ass is super-refined, trans fats, or full of chemicals I can't pronounce. So I guess my argument is that if you absolutely have to, you can run your car on low-grade fuel for a while without it breaking down. Just avoid fuel that's downright contaminated, and get back to super-premium as soon as possible.