New To Forum: Question On Brain Supplements, Increased Concentration

Greetings,

I’m a nootropic newbie.  I have dabbled a little but, never saw any improvement and I get frustrated with my brain these days.  I’m mainly looking for increased focus and concentration.  I’m a musician and have long practice and writing sessions and feel I could be way more productive.  Every now and then I really ‘lock in’ but it is rare.  I lose focus and my memory could be better.  I probably have a mild version of ADD.  I will lay out what I currently am doing in terms of supplements and diet and maybe I can get some input/suggestions.

I am 40 years old. 

Exercise – primarily kettlebell training, some free weights, sprints.

I’m naturally lean. Yearly bloodwork (chem panel, lipids etc) are very good.

First – I’m pretty good with my diet. I eat a mostly paleo/primal diet about 80% of the time.  The last 6 months or so I have not been as diligent. I really think this is a factor at times. I suspect gluten and sugar is holding me back.  I am really trying to get this dialed in and believe I’ll make good progress starting with diet.

Supplements – this is what I currently take daily.

New Chapter Men’s One Daily Multivitamin

Thorne Research B Complex #5 Stress complex (contains extra B5)

Healthy Origins Ubiquinol - 50 mg

Kal Magnesium Glycinate – 800 MG

Vitamin D3 drops – 2000-4000 IU

Probiotic

Olive Leaf Extract

Stronger Faster Healthier liquid Fish Oil.

I make BP Coffee from time to time.  Either MCT or GF Butter and Coconut oil.

Brain Supplements I have tried

Source Naturals DMAE 351 MG – no change

Source Naturals L-Theanine 300 MG – don’t recall if this helped

Cognitive Nutrition Phenylethylamine – no change

Source Naturals L-Tyrosine 500 MG – made me jittery

Jarrow Neuro Optimizer – no change. Recently started retaking.

St. John’s Positive Thoughts – This has a lot of St. Johns Worth and Gaba.  I find that sometime this calms me and helps me focus.  Only about ½ the time I take it.

My personality is “I’m always in my head”…in my own world.  I suspect what might work for me is something calming for brain activity.  Maybe that is why the Positive Thoughts helps on occasion.  Something that is stimulating might not be good – although coffee works???  I’m a little tentative with Racetams (from what I have read).  I’m thinking about trying Alpha GPC.

Thank you for any input!

Comments

• Hey Kendo!

Seems you've tried many differents supps.

Have you tried the emWave2 from Heartmath? Did you check for deficiencies (e.g. Iodine/Selenium)?

Anyway I totally recommend to start doing some breathing exercises or meditation for focus.

Have a nice day.

• Hey Kendo!

Seems you've tried many differents supps.

Have you tried the emWave2 from Heartmath? Did you check for deficiencies (e.g. Iodine/Selenium)?

Anyway I totally recommend to start doing some breathing exercises or meditation for focus.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the feedback Mishra. I forgot to mention I do have/use Heartmath.  I had one years ago and sold it like a fool.  I just bought the smartphone adapter and am back to using it.

When you say "Did you check for deficiencies (e.g. Iodine/Selenium)" can you be more specific?  How to check and what the benefits might be?

I've never supplemted with Iodine or Selenium but have been curious about adding it.  My mutilV contains 75 mcg of each - which I'm sure is not enough in terms of supplementation.

Cheers!

• Welcome to the Bulletproof forum, Kendo!  Always good to have new members.

For more information on the Bulletproof Diet and lifestyle, please check out the Bulletproof Executive's home page:  http://www.bulletproofexec.com/ 

One good place for newbies to start:  http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/

Also, the podcasts contain lots of great resources.

Regards,