Common Mistakes On Bulletproof Diet

So many of us are getting really good at this diet. I was thinking we could all help each other and post things we have learned along the way that did not work, or that we did incorrectly, and how we corrected it. From diet, to coffee mistakes, and workouts, lets all post what we feel we have learned that might be obvious or not so obvious.

'

Some mistakes I made:

-Having small amount of fruit everyday. This one sucks because I love grapefruit and blueberries, but I think it hinder my weight loss and added more cravings for sweets. I'm trying to have it only 2-3 times a week.

-Too many nuts. Nuts are so good and quick, so its easy to over-do them. I notice they hinder weight loss though.

-Not working out at all. Though Dave said he obtained all that weight loss, he was really over-weight, so I think if your someone who is looking to lose 5-15, being somewhat active is essential.

Comments

• I struggle with the fruit issue as well, grapefruit and blueberries also being among my favorites.  I have a sweet tooth, always have, and all but giving up grains has not cured me of it.  My last pouch of belly fat is tenacious, and I'm reasonably certain it's because of the fruit, since grains and other carbs are largely out of the picture (and wheat is completely out).  I have eliminated all other sources of fructose, which I committed to before ever attempting the BP protocol, so it could be much worse.  I think I simply need to switch up my menu a little, and take more hot recipes with me to work in a thermos (with plenty of butter of course).  Cold kale shakes need fruit, and I'm still addicted to them.

I've said it before, but on the subject of exercise I personally think that Dave's ability to gain muscle using a vibration plate once a week (at the most), and only moderate protein, is due to his taking exogenous testosterone.  On the other hand he may be one of those people who just grow muscle without trying, but I'm not aware of him ever saying that.  I need about 180 grams of protein/daily and heavy lifting 3x/weekly, and I still plateau.  BBS principals don't work for me, at all.  In other words, I take no advice from Dave on the matter (on exercise, that is), there's nothing he's recommened that has any relevance for me.  YMMV.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

A combination of going too low carb, lifting heavy weights and starting to mega dose iodine really messed my system up.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• A combination of going too low carb, lifting heavy weights and starting to mega dose iodine really messed my system up.

did you take Iodine supplements or are you saying through increase of salt? Iodine supplements I think can be dangerous for thyroid.

• I struggle with the fruit issue as well, grapefruit and blueberries also being among my favorites.  I have a sweet tooth, always have, and all but giving up grains has not cured me of it.  My last pouch of belly fat is tenacious, and I'm reasonably certain it's because of the fruit, since grains and other carbs are largely out of the picture (and wheat is completely out).  I have eliminated all other sources of fructose, which I committed to before ever attempting the BP protocol, so it could be much worse.  I think I simply need to switch up my menu a little, and take more hot recipes with me to work in a thermos (with plenty of butter of course).  Cold kale shakes need fruit, and I'm still addicted to them.

I've said it before, but on the subject of exercise I personally think that Dave's ability to gain muscle using a vibration plate once a week (at the most), and only moderate protein, is due to his taking exogenous testosterone.  On the other hand he may be one of those people who just grow muscle without trying, but I'm not aware of him ever saying that.  I need about 180 grams of protein/daily and heavy lifting 3x/weekly, and I still plateau.  BBS principals don't work for me, at all.  In other words, I take no advice from Dave on the matter (on exercise, that is), there's nothing he's recommened that has any relevance for me.  YMMV.

What do you recommend then for belly fat? Thats one I need help on too, and I also have eliminated grains for the most part, most part meaning, maybe 1-2 a month they make an appearance, and only a serving.

• Sometimes I lay on the floor and pretend I'm a carrot. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Too much MCT oil too soon!!!!  :eek:

Start slowly and increase slowly!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• The lessons BP life taught me:

1) first check and heal your adrenals, then attempt IF and sleep hacking

2) listen to carb cravings and gauge refeeds

3) isolate variables when testing a new hack or supplement. 

P.S.

I also fell Dave's six pack story.

• A combination of going too low carb, lifting heavy weights and starting to mega dose iodine really messed my system up.

Care to elaborate?

• edited March 2014

Too much MCT oil too soon!!!! :eek:

Start slowly and increase slowly!

Conversely, you shouldn't take too much. I think I may have started giving myself some issues from overconsumption, and I'm now sort of suspicious of mct oil in regards to its actual efficacy relative to other fats as well as possible issues it may have as a refined food. John Bailor hints at his oppinion of mct oil in The Calorie Myth.

At the very least, consuming too much will crowd out more nourishing sources of calories.
  • Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

did you take Iodine supplements or are you saying through increase of salt? Iodine supplements I think can be dangerous for thyroid.

Care to elaborate?

Is there anything particular you want me to elaborate on? I found out the hard way that ketosis, while great for losing weight, is not so great if you are trying to gain weight. That combined with extra stress on my system from the detox effect of mega dosing iodine (I was taking the Life Extension 1mg capsules  from the Supplement Protocol thread) was too much for my adrenals and I developed leaky gut in combination with SIBO. I read later that ideally you should start at the Daily Value % for iodine and slowly build up to 1mg. Pretty sure it wasn't stressful enough to give me Adrenal Fatigue though although I didn't get any tests done. Almost back to 100%. The good news is I can be a guinea pig for John B's Simple SIBO and gut heal protocol to get rid of the last of those little buggers. Needless to say I now keep carbs around 120-150 and get iodine from food sources (eggs, sardines, salmon, kelp, etc)

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Is there anything particular you want me to elaborate on? I found out the hard way that ketosis, while great for losing weight, is not so great if you are trying to gain weight. That combined with extra stress on my system from the detox effect of mega dosing iodine (I was taking the Life Extension 1mg capsules  from the Supplement Protocol thread) was too much for my adrenals and I developed leaky gut in combination with SIBO. I read later that ideally you should start at the Daily Value % for iodine and slowly build up to 1mg. Pretty sure it wasn't stressful enough to give me Adrenal Fatigue though although I didn't get any tests done. Almost back to 100%. The good news is I can be a guinea pig for John B's Simple SIBO and gut heal protocol to get rid of the last of those little buggers. Needless to say I now keep carbs around 120-150 and get iodine from food sources (eggs, sardines, salmon, kelp, etc)

Oh that's all I was wondering. I was on strict BP for 3 weeks with no carb refeeds (oops) and I gained fat and my thyroid function slowed down. I was just curious if the same happened to you.