My Attempt Trying To Get A Modafinil Script.. :(

Went into the doctors office today to try and get a Modafinil script. He's a family doctor of mine for the past 16 years (I'm 27) So he has my health history and knows I don't have narcolepsy nor did I want to try and go down that route haha. I did go in a few months ago, telling him I do have some signs of adult ADD that do adversely effect my work performance etc.. I didn't ask for modafnil right off the bat and just said I'll try and deal with it, without a prescription. I went back today loaded with a few notes I had made + some common symptoms I have been experiencing (ADD related things) and highlighted sections of articles to reenforce my testimony. Anyways, we started having a conversation then it got down to prescription, he said most doctors prescribe antidepressants for adult ADD (prozac etc) I said I wasn't interested in anything like that or in adderall or ritalan. I then said I had done some homework and the only prescription drug I'd be interested in is Modafinl... I thought I was going to get it since I had come so prepared and was calm and cool about it, HOWEVER, he went on about the amphetamine like qualities it has, negative long terms effects and the chance for addiction. I battled a little bit with him letting him know I don't have any addiction problems but didn't want to seem to pushy. But I did not succeed.

Maybe in a few months I'll take another swing at it but he seemed so reluctant to prescribe it to me!! I have a good relationship with my doctor but yet still wasn't able to get modafinil :(. On a side note, I do have some ADD tendencies (who doesn't) but nothing that overly effects my performance but I do want to get my performance to the next level and wanted to give modafinl a try but just hate the idea ordering it from weird 3rd party sites and getting it shipped.... Anyways, just wanted to vent a bit haha. Maybe I will end up having to trust a website in the short term at least..  :-|

Comments

• NoogisNoogis
    edited March 2014
    I'm guessing that the modafinil drug reps don't take him on fancy trips and serve him umbrella drinks.

In my experience that stuff has burnout written all over it anyway. Your n=1 may vary of course.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

Ridicuolous that he would prescribe adderall or ritalin instead.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• HotspoonsHotspoons
    edited March 2014

Are there websites like pharmacy2u.co.uk in canada? 

This is the UK site, its a legit site, online dr assessment, and then writes you a prescription..

Give it a look!! 

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Provigil or Modafinil can be addictive as BPC already stated but is legal to buy and sell here in the UK with prescription of course.

Anyone that sells it without a license though could face two year’s in jail.

Have no experience with this seller but it looks good Hotspoons.

Maybe someone could verify that it is?

Personally the side effect are undesirable risks and that puts Modafinil off "the to try list" anyway.

Noogis has a good point but some people love the stuff. Just be aware that you could fall into the category as a non-responder to it anyway BPC.

• I would suggest you read all of this before you try it. It's a good review of research done.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654794/

The mechanisms that they think it uses (and they really are not quite sure yet) just don't make it worth it to me. My GABA levels are already low according to the braverman test, I wouldn't want to take something that depleted it even further, among other things. I know it's said all the time, but the point Tim Ferris had about no free lunch makes sense to me. Being able to wind down my mind and relax is precious to me.

It's my suspicion that there is a reason Dave doesn't take it much anymore. I can't speak for him of course, but he isn't infallible, and it would be quite hard to say that you probably shouldn't take it long term after going of national tv talking about it. There is the possibility that it just doesn't work for him after all this time. Just my speculation. An expert I am not.
  • BPCBPC
    edited March 2014

It's my suspicion that there is a reason Dave doesn't take it much anymore. I can't speak for him of course, but he isn't infallible, and it would be quite hard to say that you probably shouldn't take it long term after going of national tv talking about it. There is the possibility that it just doesn't work for him after all this time. Just my speculation. An expert I am not.

Yeah I've read up a lot about it. I just look at it simply. Risk and reward. I wouldn't use daily but more likely certain days/weeks where my work load is heavier and requires juggling multiple projects in the air. Thats where whatever ADD I do have in me kicks in and I have trouble channeling my brain power into one project to completion, instead flipping back and forth, getting distracted with this and that. I eat clean, drink BP coffee, and have recently tried picking up meditating as I feel like that could be a missing link to trying to harness my brain power haha. But have only really had great result when going in a sensory deprivation tank but its a work in progress! 

Yeah I see all these sites to order from in the forums so maybe i'll give one a go. I have a property in the states as well so I can get stuff shipped to the states, but then I have to bring it home across the border...  :???:

• Ridicuolous that he would prescribe adderall or ritalin instead.

Yeah, he said most doctors prescribe prozac & other anti depressants to adults with ADD ? Anyways, I was hoping he was going to be like oh wow this guy has done his homework and feel confident in prescribing it to a reasonable adult. 

• Prescribing Modafinil for ADD is known as "off label" prescribing.  This puts the doctor at a legal risk if something goes wrong.  It could also affect their relicensure process.  It would probably be better to try a different strategy.

• Prescribing Modafinil for ADD is known as "off label" prescribing.  This puts the doctor at a legal risk if something goes wrong.  It could also affect their relicensure process.  It would probably be better to try a different strategy.

Well I'm going to start looking into order from a 3rd party site now, although, I wish I could just go to my local pharmacy and know what I'm getting haha. 

• I know of some one who has used thepharmacyexpress for a couple of years now for ordering it. Modalert I think.

Well I'm going to start looking into order from a 3rd party site now, although, I wish I could just go to my local pharmacy and know what I'm getting haha.

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    I live in Toronto Canada and just got a script for modafinil this weekend. It took 2 attempts to get it.

1) Dont go to your family doctor, go to a walk-in clinic.

2) Dont say you have ADD, go with the shift working angle, which for me is true. I work in the IT industry and occasionally have to work late or be on call. I need to be alert to do my job but I dont want to be taking stimulants that will get me all amped up. Modafinil is less addictive than methylphenidate or amphetamines and not something with recreational street value. You need to be suffering from some kind of occupational fatigue and have a good reason to need this. Another thing I mentioned was the need to study a few hours after work but being too tired after a days work.
    Also there is a good chance your doctor may not be familiar with modafinil, so he'll be hesitant to prescribe it. The first doctor said he hadnt heard of it, so I asked him to look into it and i'd come back later.

When I came back to the clinic a few weeks later I got a different doctor, so I was quite disappointed. I told him the story, and then he went over a list of negative effects then came to the "promotes wakefulness" and was like "ah, I know this" then "yes, no problem, how much do you want?"

• I live in Toronto Canada and just got a script for modafinil this weekend. It took 2 attempts to get it.

1) Dont go to your family doctor, go to a walk-in clinic.

2) Dont say you have ADD, go with the shift working angle, which for me is true. I work in the IT industry and occasionally have to work late or be on call. I need to be alert to do my job but I dont want to be taking stimulants that will get me all amped up. Modafinil is less addictive than methylphenidate or amphetamines and not something with recreational street value. You need to be suffering from some kind of occupational fatigue and have a good reason to need this. Another thing I mentioned was the need to study a few hours after work but being too tired after a days work.

Did you specifically ask for modafinil when you went in? 

Yes, I specifically asked for modafinil. I think that's the only successful way to get it if you don't have narcolepsy, as I said, most doctors will not be very familiar with it. If you don't specify, the doctor may consider giving you more commonly known stimulants such as methylphenidate or amphetamines, they may also not want to give you these because of their common abuse.

So my advice: tell them you've read about modafinil and it's ability to promote wakefulness while being easier on your body and less risky for addiction. You need to be confident and demonstrate you understand that you want this drug but are conscious of the health risks.

IMHO methylphenidate and amphetamines are better in their nootropic effects, but they are definitely harder on your body. Modafinil doesn't make me feel drained or irritable after. Modafinil is better in stressful situations because it won't exacerbate a fight-or-flight response.

• I can attest to this. Modafinil doesn't freak out my adrenals, and thus doesn't cause my body to have a panicked stress feel. That was one of the reasons why I had to quit coffee - it was sending my anxiety through the roof. Modafinil doesn't do that for me. :)

Modafinil is better in stressful situations because it won't exacerbate a fight-or-flight response.