Sunflower Lecithin - Why And How Much?

I listened to Dave's recent podcast on brain hacking where sunflower lecithin was mentioned as a way to protect the myelin sheath in neurons. Can this product really do that? if so, that would be amazing!

I just bought a bottle of 1200 mg capsules. Can someone advise me how much to take and how often? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Well, I believe choline does this in general. You probably would have been better off with CDP choline or alpha GPC. I am not well versed in myelin sheath protection, but I believe that is the choline from lecithin. 

Out of curiosity, why do you ask after you purchase? I'm just curious.

• I purchased this after listening to one of Dave's podcasts  on brain hacking - maybe Dan Hurley.. He was the one who recommended sunflower lecithin. Now i'm thinking this wasn't teh best idea. What would you recommend?

• I purchased this after listening to one of Dave's podcasts  on brain hacking - maybe Dan Hurley.. He was the one who recommended sunflower lecithin. Now i'm thinking this wasn't teh best idea. What would you recommend?

=======

I don't believe sunflower lecithin is necessarily bad. However, it is not as efficient as you might find for myelin sheath benefits. Choline is the nutrient that offers advantages in this realm so CDP choline or alpha GPC are more efficient methods. Just remember it for the next purchase.

• Lecithin is an alternative source of choline - other food based sources would be eggs, shrimp, chicken - in addition to linoleic acid and inositol.

It is beneficial on many fronts:

Emulsifier of fats (processed foods and cosmetics staple) suspending them in the bloodstream and preventing plaque build up on membrane walls; it's a solvent for cholesterol, triglycerides, and other fats; it's a crucial component of myelin sheathing - optimizing nerve insulation and neurotransmission; provides the essential fatty acids that aid lung tissue, soothing mucous membranes and calming irritation; utilized by the liver to make bile -> bile emulsifies fat soluble nutrients: EFA, vitamins A, D, E, and K thus facilitating their absorption;

lecithin protects fatty acids from oxidation <-> protecting the body from oxidized fatty acids.

If you're using DMAE in a nootropic/anti-aging stack, lecitin might be a beneficial companion supplement as two early studies indicate DMAE inhibits Phosphatidylcholine and Sphingomyelin synthesis, both crucial to myelin sheathing formation. 

Lecithin can't compare however to Alpha GPC or CDP Choline when your choline needs are higher, but

for some that get brain fog or headaches from an overabundance of choline, lecithin could be tried in place of them.

I've developed crushing headaches in the past when testing stacks using the aforementioned.

I find cleaner results using lecithin when choline is needed, but then again I tend to ingest ample choline from food sources.

It may also prove useful when cycling off brain stacks - from personal experience I found it mitigates crashing.

If supplementing, Sunflower is a better option as soy lecithin is likely to be GMO unless the manufacturer states otherwise.

It's also grand for skin and hair health, so it's not a waste of cash - it's only about 10 bucks anyhow.