What Other Organ Meats Do You Eat

I'm sure there's atleast a topic about this, but searched and couldn't find it, I'm just curious as I've only tried liver, saw a kidney for sale, and wondered what other weird things you could get, like brain, or adrenal glands, seems like you could get quite a boost from eating brains and adrenals for breakfast. Anyone here done anything like that, and more importantly in general how did u prepare anything that wasn't liver? Or get it at all?

Comments

• ZenfoodZenfood ɹǝqɯǝɯ pǝɔuɐʌp∀

I eat ~250g of Chicken Hearts daily. Super cheap stuff and it tastes like ordinary chicken.

Why? It contains 12.5mg CoQ10 and ~1g of Phosphatidylserine (check out how much a megadose of PS would cost: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=phosphatidylseine&sug=phosphatidylserine&x=0&y=0#p=1), zinc and all B-vitamins.

• Nice! That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks. Don't think I've seen that one in the store though il have to ask the meat guy.
  • thats what she said.

---

• I've eaten beef heart, from a grassfed pastured cow of course. Heart has a slightly weird texture and it smells kind of funny, but it tastes better than beef liver for sure.

Mary

edited March 2014

Nice. Hopefully you'll find some. I could eat 500g daily, but I would get an iron overdose. I think 250g is a pretty good dose.

• If the source is safe, brains are also a very interesting food. :)

• have you had it?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I have been buying lamb livers recently and trying to hide them in my food. I initially tried egg and frozen liver blended together and drinking it. Holy shit, that is disgusting!

I've had some success with pork hock soup: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9133-ham-hock-soup-sneaky-way-to-eat-liver/

• SystemSystem mod
    edited March 2014

I don't eat them so much as I swallow them in pill form.

I take the following, all grass-fed and organic:

Organ blend

Spleen

Liver

Pancreas

Prostate (it has remedied the problem I had with frequent urination)

Yeah, it's a little pricey, but whatevs.

I have pounds of grass-fed liver chillin' in my freezer, but I honestly can't eat it without puking. I thought I was hardbody because I'm able to ingest a whole syringe of upgraded glutathione without chasing it down with water, but I've met my match with liver. That stuff kicks my ass up and down the street; a mere whiff of it makes me dizzy. I now just give the freezer liver to my dog, and I only take the dessicated liver pills I linked above.

True story. Also, cool story, bro.

• I can't find if Pork is bulletproof. I did find a source which claims to be grass fed mainly, seems really good. It is also a bit cheaper compared to beef, so that's why I'm asking. 

Same question for chicken. Like all chickens get grains pretty much right?

• I've eaten heart, kidney, liver, and tongue (thus far), from Grassfed aminals.

Insilico: I'd like to find that out, as well. My gf beef farmer has offered me some free quality pork organ meat, if I want to test the waters. I'm fine with bacon, however.. I've been slightly apprehensive about eating a lot of other types of pork. Esp cause I can nibble on raw gf beef, but I know that raw pork is no bueno. Soooo.. apprehension and hesitancy :-P
  • J-rockJ-rock
    edited July 2014

Is a pound of grass-fed liver per week too much?

• I hope not. I've been goin through a pound of it over the past 3 days, 4oz left to go and I'm 100 lbs lighter than you. I don't want it to go to waste and have no one to share it with! If you don't see me post after tomorrow around lunchtime just assume its liver poisoning and take note. I feel great so far though.
  • J-rockJ-rock
    edited May 2014

I just recently started eating organ meat and I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a pound of it at the beginning of the week and didn't want it to go to waste. My wife won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. I've been eating 4-6 ounces every other day. I really can't say I enjoy it, but its so cheap and its a nutrient powerhouse.

I want to order a beef heart next and reenact the scene from Temple of Doom where the guy gets his heart pulled out. Except I'll cook it and eat it. Kali Ma!

• I eat ~250g of Chicken Hearts daily. Super cheap stuff and it tastes like ordinary chicken.

Why? It contains 12.5mg CoQ10 and ~1g of Phosphatidylserine (check out how much a megadose of PS would cost: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=phosphatidylseine&sug=phosphatidylserine&x=0&y=0#p=1), zinc and all B-vitamins.

do you find it hard to find organic chicken? does it matter if its organic or not? i've heard organ meats from grain fed animals don't matter as much?

• Pig livers are also ridonkulously huge..... pretty much the size of a beef heart.

For the ultimate paleo organ meat frequency guide, buy one of each type (2 for kidney) then roughly calculate how long it would take you to eat the muscle meat. This way you simulate a successful hunt, you wouldn't go kill a new game just to get more organs before the current meat was gone, Zenfood would have to kill x amount of chickens/day to get all those hearts for example. One lamb liver/week is doable but a bold attempt at eating that much meat. You'd also have to find out the whole size for the animals, moose livers are over a foot across!

• I just bought some grass fed beef liver for the first time, when the butcher asked how much I wanted I just kinda guessed "a pound?"... ate about 2/3 of it tonight in herbs and butter with some veggies, pretty good stuff! I'll probably finish the pound off for lunch tomorrow, but from the sound of it that's not really overdoing it. Might try heart next week if I can find it.

I saw a ground beef/heart mix advertised at the farmers market a few weeks ago, I've gotta see if they still have that and make burgers.

• I saw a ground beef/heart mix advertised at the farmers market a few weeks ago, I've gotta see if they still have that and make burgers.

Would it be cheaper to mix it yourself?

• Would it be cheaper to mix it yourself?

probably? if the heart were already ground separately. Otherwise I'd need to buy a meat grinder of some kind.

• Been cooking up heart in ghee with some sea salt, rosemary, thyme, Tumeric and cumin seeds, it's amazing!
  • I think heart would be great mixed in with burger. I actually made some heart tonight. I marinated it overnight with a few limes, cumin, cayenne, and chipotle powder. Threw it on the grill and cooked to medium rare and made a taco salad. It has a similar texture to normal beef but less flavor. Definitely not as strong as liver. Although the lime juice overnight may have helped. 

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    I currently eat raw frozen liver. I've been thinking about grinding up a bunch of organ meats and making frozen meat cubes. Sort of an organ meat supplement.

Probably just heart and liver, but perhaps others.

• I can't find if Pork is bulletproof. I did find a source which claims to be grass fed mainly, seems really good. It is also a bit cheaper compared to beef, so that's why I'm asking. 

Same question for chicken. Like all chickens get grains pretty much right?

You definitely won't find grass-fed pork or chicken, as these animals do not naturally consume grass like cows and other ruminant animals (due to their lack of multiple-compartment stomachs to digest the cellulose-composed grass). Pigs and chickens can, however, be certified organic and pasture-raised, allowed to roam free on their land, consuming wild food sources and getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine. Both organic, pastured chicken and pig diets will be supplemented with grain in many cases, but the grain will be certified organic and, in most cases, non-GMO. 

edited June 2014

do you find it hard to find organic chicken? does it matter if its organic or not? i've heard organ meats from grain fed animals don't matter as much?

It's not from organic chicken, but it's still awesome! Heart is the place where everyone stores important nutrition... if the heart fails, we fail :)

My memory has improved significantly after I started eating chicken hearts.

• Luckily for me I love liver I might have some with my gf lamb and sweet potato tomoro mmm
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

Got goose heart on the weekend and have been eating it for some days... lovely! I'll buy some more soon.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• you can't really go wrong with organ meats once you get beyond the "ew", factor. Most supermarkets here in OZ stock a variety of organ meats but they are from grain fed animals. i'm not sure it's such a massive issue. I used to go to quite a length to get grass fed organic beef liver, but for the moment I am happy with the various organ meats they have five minutes from my house, which include.

lamb liver

beef heart

lamb kidney

beef kidney

chicken giblets

chicken hearts

and probably some other stuff..

anyone know any details about whether grain really matters when it comes to organ meats? I imagine it does, but, i'm not really sweating it at this precise second in time.. but any info would be useful - thankyou.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited June 2014

you can't really go wrong with organ meats once you get beyond the "ew", factor. Most supermarkets here in OZ stock a variety of organ meats but they are from grain fed animals. i'm not sure it's such a massive issue. I used to go to quite a length to get grass fed organic beef liver, but for the moment I am happy with the various organ meats they have five minutes from my house, which include.

lamb liver

beef heart

lamb kidney

beef kidney

chicken giblets

chicken hearts

and probably some other stuff..

anyone know any details about whether grain really matters when it comes to organ meats? I imagine it does, but, i'm not really sweating it at this precise second in time.. but any info would be useful - thankyou.

Personally, I would rather supplement with organs from grass-fed animals like Dr. Rons before eating organs from grain fed animals pumped up with antibiotics and hormones.

• kidney is nastyyyyy