Hack The Taste Of Ghee.

Ok really simply, i have autoimmune issues that I found out about recently.. got myself tested for upgraded coffee beans, and i dont have any allergies to it (woot!), but butter does mess me up because of the casein and lactose.. pretty sure ghee doesn't do anything to me, but the taste wrecks coffee for me. 

So does anyone know a way to make ghee used in BP coffee taste good? I heard someone was able to make their ghee (homemade) end up being sweet because of a caramelization(sp?) process that they used when cooking it... don't know how that works or is even true though. 

So... save me guys, i love BP coffee but the ghee just doesn't work well in coffee, and I need it til i can get my AI issues under control D:

Hacks.. and Go! :)

Tagged:

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Can you have eggs? That would help emulsify the ghee and coffee together. Although it may not help the taste.

There's also no reason you have to drink them in the same mug. You can have the ghee and the coffee separate if you can find a way that makes that tastier.

Lastly, have you tried adding the upgraded vanilla or chocolate? I used the vanilla (until I ran out) to mask the taste of butter and it worked well.

• Before I started to drink coffee daily, I substituted matcha green tea in the Bulletproof Coffee recipe. Using ghee instead of butter and adding stevia made it taste very caramel-y. 

There's a post about making ghee on my blog (link in sig), the caramel taste comes from extending the cooking process closer to "burning" the ghee. Risky for a beginner, but if you can get it right then everything you make with the ghee will have that caramel/butterscotch vibe.

• I am not lactose or casein intolerant but I was wondering about grass fed ghee instead as dairy isn't recommended on the BP diet.

Is there a reason butter is recommended over ghee, other than the taste?

Is there a chance that BP will be developing their own grass-fed butter and/or ghee in the future?

• Also, has anyone tried using Butter Oil in their coffee, or for anything else? I had not been aware of this product, it's potential benefits or uses. Any info would be great.

If there is another thread covering this topic, please kindly redirect me as I did and search and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

I am not lactose or casein intolerant but I was wondering about grass fed ghee instead as dairy isn't recommended on the BP diet.

Is there a chance that BP will be developing their own grass-fed butter and/or ghee in the future?

----

According to the newest BP diet infographic, ghee is preferable to GF butter as a fat and equal as a dairy product. 

GF butter is easier to find than ghee, and if your ghee wasn't clarified from GF butter it won't have the same butyrate content. Or K2 content, or other stuff I'm forgetting. But clarifying GF butter into GF ghee is going to make for some pretty expensive ghee.

The reason dairy isn't recommended is that a lot of people have trouble with the lactose and with dairy proteins. Butter has almost no dairy proteins or lactose, so almost everyone handles it just fine, which is why it's still green on the BP diet. Butter also mixes better into bulletproof coffee, if you use ghee you need to add collagen to get the same frothiness. 

I would think the costs of owning and caring for cattle would make producing BP butter cost-prohibitive without a huge market for it. I know I'd be hard-pressed to pay extra and wait for shipments of BP butter when Kerrygold is >90% grass fed, cheap, and available near me. Keep telling people about GF and maybe there will be a big enough market to get some of the GF beef farms add a dairy component?

I haven't tried butter oil on it's own, but I used to take Green Pastures' "fermented cod liver oil / royal butter oil" product. It was expensive, so now I just take their cod liver oil, eat plenty of GF butter, and supplement K2. In the K2 podcast with Dr. Kate, she basically said she thought GF butter was close enough to the butter oil Weston A. Price used as to be interchangeable. I'm not convinced, but it's still cheaper to eat butter and supp K2, so I'm sure I'm getting enough. 

• so, this morning i decided to do a protein fast, and i also wanted to drink BPC before about an hour before i taught my yoga class, so i wanted ghee instead of butter, and i didn't want to mix it with collagen or an egg, so i tried cacao butter. surely most of you have probably tried this combination, but if you haven't, i would say it is a must-try. i dunno if i was just in an especially good mood or what, but damn that coffee was delicious. may have to repeat later today...

• so, this morning i decided to do a protein fast, and i also wanted to drink BPC before about an hour before i taught my yoga class, so i wanted ghee instead of butter, and i didn't want to mix it with collagen or an egg, so i tried cacao butter. surely most of you have probably tried this combination, but if you haven't, i would say it is a must-try. i dunno if i was just in an especially good mood or what, but damn that coffee was delicious. may have to repeat later today...

Ok, what kind of cacao butter? I have heard this is a must try before and I am very interested.
  • Oh, I forgot to mention, I use ghee and started adding a dash of cinnimon to my morning joe. Across the board it helps with the flavor, (I too was not super happy with the flavor butter/ghee added)
  • upgraded cacao butter. i try not to use very much very often because of the price, but it helped emusify the ghee and added a super awesome flavor. 

• pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez

100% cocoa powder like the one Dave sells is excellent for improving taste. I use Ghiradelli brand because it's cheap and easy to get at any grocery store.

• Ancient Organics ghee is what i use. "Ancient Organics Ghee | Pure Grassfed Ghee, Order Online" right in their website title. cheaper than BP Ghee as well

I am not lactose or casein intolerant but I was wondering about grass fed ghee instead as dairy isn't recommended on the BP diet.

• I've used Bulletproof brand ghee, Ancient Organics (those two have been my favorites for taste), Purity Farm Organic ghee (ok but feels lacking in taste and has a much different texture and color) and I've just recently tried Nanak Pure Desi Ghee. I couldn't help but try it since I found a 56oz tub on Amazon for $33 

I had read on one of the reviews that ghee is better (all grass-fed) the more yellow it is and this stuff is noticeably a more brighter yellow than most I've tried. Dave's ghee is a close second but this one is bright yellow. The only downside is that it has a much grittier texture compared to others I've tried. The grittiness still melts away quickly but I was just curious as to whether anyone else has used this brand of ghee or might know why it's texture is so much courser. Is it just raw and manufactured/processed less or differently?

• I add about a tbl spoon of Saigon cinnamon and a good splash of vanilla Nutpods to my BP coffee.

• So glad to find this here. I was ok with the taste at first but the second week and I'm trying to guzzle it down and not think about how horrible it tastes.