How Long Do You Drink Your Bp Coffee In The Morning? 8Am Until ?

edited March 2014 in Bulletproof Coffee

Just wandering how long it takes for everyone to drink their BP Coffee?  I like drinking it when it is hot but normally that makes my stomach rumble.  

Its 11:18 am right now and I'm just now finishing mine I started at 8 am or so.  I normally make enough for my travel mug I take to work and about 2-4 oz more that I drink right before heading out the door. So I drink about 20-24 Oz a morning. Normally use a tablespoon or more of MCT and 3-4 tablespoons of Kerrygold.

Comments

• When I was drinking BPC, it'd usually be down within 30-60 mins.

Mmm, I miss it. :)

• I whip it up, put it in a thermos and drink it over the course of an hour.  No stomach issues with that slow process, and I am up to 2 tbsp of mct oil now.

• Make it around 6:30 every morning. I make 24 oz. of coffee with 4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane. I drink 8 oz. before heading out the door at 7:00, and drink the remaining 16 oz. over the next 2-3 hours.

• I drink mine btwn 8am and don't usually finish it until 11am...I get too busy and forget about it. 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• maaxgrreenmaaxgrreen keeping it hella ancestral

Sometimes it's down in 2 hours. Sometimes 8. As long as i'm done by noon or one, I usually won't feel it later on. 24 oz, 2 tbsp MCT.

• I make mine around 7am, 20oz and I finish it usually in between 11am and 1pm.

• 4 tbspn KGB

2 tbspn Brain Octane

16 oz Upgraded Coffee

Drink it down in about 5 minutes while i pet dogs about 6am.

I then down nother mug of just Upgraded coffee in the next 15 minutes or so...

Out the door...

Usually don't eat again until late afternoon or even supper...

• I usually make mine at work between 9 and 10am. 20-24 oz. I nurse it for about two hrs and finish up between 11 or 12. First meal is usually 2pm.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I drink mine like a normal cup of coffee, so around 15-20 minutes.

• Several hours. Probably from 8 am- 1:30 pm. 

• Ususally takes me about 45 minutes from 6am to 645am. 

• I can't stand cold coffee. I blend mine around 5:30, and it's gone by the time I walk out the door at 6. My stomach wasn't happy at first (when I started a month ago, I couldn't finish the whole thing). I usually eat lunch at noon.

2.5T Kerrygold

1.5T MCT

16 oz. Upgraded Coffee

1t cocoa powder

Couple shakes of cinnamon

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

• A couple hours or so. I usually have it made around 7am and drink the last of it at work in my Contigo by around 9am. It's still fairly warm by then, but there have been times where it wasn't but I dealt with it.  :shock:

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

I tend to drink it in about 30 minutes, but I generally max out at 2 tbsp butter. But for some reason this thread made me wonder about chugging it. Which I didn't do (only because it was too hot) but got me thinking... 

When you consume a bunch of butter in the form of BP coffee, what exactly is going on in your body? (I'm excluding MCT because it's absorbed via a different pathway) When glycogen is totally depleted, you'll use it via ketosis, but if you're drinking BPC after your carb refeed day, glycogen is definitely not depleted. Exactly how all the fat we drink gets converted to energy is actually a pretty relevant question that I don't think Dave has covered in-depth. 

Obviously we're fasted in the morning, and BPC keeps us full for a long time even if we drink it fast. So there MUST be some kind of storage of triglycerides whether in the intestines, intestinal walls, or in the blood as triglycerides, chylomicrons, or VLDL particles. What's going on?

Is it:

1) Pancreatic Lipase is a rate-limiter, so the fat stays in your intestines and only slowly leaches into enterocytes (intestinal cell walls,) at the rate that PL can break it down to monoglycerides and free fatty acids?

2) Re-formed triglycerides in enterocytes chill out in the enterocytes until they are ready to be formed into chylomicrons? (chylomicron formation as a rate-limiter)

3) There are so many triglycerides in the enterocytes that only some form chylomicrons and the rest are released as free triglycerides and float around until they are used? (trig uptake as a rate-limiter)

4) You get elevated blood chylomicrons which float around providing energy to cells?

5) Elevated chylomicrons are broken down in the liver into a bunch of VLDL which then floats around dropping off fatty acids at a cells via LDL receptors?

6) The liver gets so many fatty chylomicrons that it switches to ketosis even when it has glycogen?

7) Something else?

By the way, I'm basing a lot of my understanding of lipid metabolism on this video from WellnessFX, and the stuff I'm talking about starts at 3:57 (time linked)

EDIT: now asked in the Ask Dave Anything thread here

• 30 minutes.... start at 5am, dont eat again until 230 or 3pm

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

I drink mine from 8am till noon. Dave mentioned that coffee drastically changes after 30 minutes, anyone have research to back this up?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Wake up till 2pm. I have 3 of them and a 20oz tumbler. Prob drink each over like 15 mins.

• Sometimes it takes me as long as five minutes to finish the cup. :cool:

So, usually I'm drinking my BPC from roughly 6:45 - 6:50, and I'm done. :P  Then I wash everything from making the BPC and head on to work.

Overall the morning ritual is a rather lengthy process of like ten minutes total, to boil, press, blend, and consume and I'm thinking I can shorten it some by cold-brewing the coffee and taking out the boiling and pressing parts in the process. Might be able to get 'er done in under three minutes. :grin:

• Sometimes I need to drink mine in about 15min because I'm late for school. If I'm not late to somewhere, I drink it in about 30 min. I don't think I've ever taken longer than 30min and I've never had stomach issues because of it.

• Funny, the next morning after I posted the previous post, I down my coffee in like 5 min and have a small upset stomach for a couple minutes XD I just drank some water and its all good. I think the key for not getting an upset stomach is to drink a large class/bottle of water before or during drinking your coffee.

• It usually takes me between 30mins and an hour. I either keep it in a 200 degree oven or a saucepan with hot water, and I use a battery powered stirrer to mix it up between little gulps.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

I finish it like a normal coffee, quicker than how people usually drink it, it's down within a minute because it's so tasty. (I never understood why people sit with an espresso for hours just because everybody else does it. Though it's a nice feeling when I have time for that on a weekend day.)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

When I was drinking BPC, it'd usually be down within 30-60 mins.

Mmm, I miss it. :)

So you no longer drink it. Why and for how long? :) Curious.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Funny, the next morning after I posted the previous post, I down my coffee in like 5 min and have a small upset stomach for a couple minutes XD I just drank some water and its all good. I think the key for not getting an upset stomach is to drink a large class/bottle of water before or during drinking your coffee.

---

I'm not sure about that - BP coffee is mostly water by volume. The upset stomach could be an issue with stomach acid, in which case diluting it with more water may not help. Similarly, once in the intestine, the fats need to be emulsified with bile from the gallbladder, and again diluting it with more water may not help. 

But do whatever works. Perhaps the water just cooled down the coffee in your stomach, or increased the rate of gastric emptying to the intestines. 

• I'm with reka, I down my 8oz 2 scoop bpc in a few swigs, gone in second, with mct and butter, got the idea of adding cocoa powder, gonna give that a go tomorrow

• ---

I'm not sure about that - BP coffee is mostly water by volume. The upset stomach could be an issue with stomach acid, in which case diluting it with more water may not help. Similarly, once in the intestine, the fats need to be emulsified with bile from the gallbladder, and again diluting it with more water may not help. 

But do whatever works. Perhaps the water just cooled down the coffee in your stomach, or increased the rate of gastric emptying to the intestines. 

---

The reason I thought that was because Dave Asprey said once to always drink a large glass of water before you drink your morning coffee. So I usually do, but yesterday I didn't and that was the only time the upset stomach thing ever happened. I put two and two together and figured that's the only thing that was different :3

I think he said something about the absorption is better with drinking water beforehand

• 10-15 minutes. I let it cool down some and I just gulp it.

• make 3 coffees with aeropress

put 3 tablespoons of butter in coffee

5 grams of l-theanine

2 tablespoons of mtc oil

use immersion blender

put pot on mouth

drink it all

wash coffee pot and immersion blender

how can you drink it so slowly D=

• 5am up, espresso, train, protein shake.

then sip decaf BP made with aeropress (2 tbsp MCT 2 tbsp butter 9oz water) from roughly 9am-11am in between work (electrician) 

i like to almost chew small sips, kinda weird but tasty. :)