What Affects Your Hrv?

so, last week my housemate was a bit congested, then this weekend we hosted an event here for my capoeira group, which means way less sleep than usual, long training sessions, and trying to keep things organized (organizing angoleiros is kind of like herding cats), so i ended up with a little bit of congestion myself. on top of that my sleep hasn't been ideal the past couple days, i've gotten a good amount of hours to make up for missing sleep over the weekend but the quality hasn't been the best for some reason....

...and despite feeling a bit tired, and mostly but not completely over the sinus-inflammation i've been feeling, i had 2 of my best hrv scores ever this morning (pre and post BPC). and that just seems kind of weird to me. so that makes me wonder, have any of you found things that consistently result in especially high or low HRV scores? anybody experience higher hrv when they feel less than optimal? or vice versa?

Comments

• In my spreadsheet, I track every session and then roll it into a daily view.  For each day, I track whether I did things like fly, drink BPC vs. non-BPC, take Iodine, inject B12, drink alcohol, etc.  There's no reason why I don't throw in my sleep cycle data in there but I havent done so yet.

The biggest increases I've gotten HRV-wise is when I inject B12 and when I stopped eating butter - also got a spike when I started using Upgraded Beans vs. very high end freshly roasted wet process stuff.  N = 1.  The biggest decreases I've gotten were from drinking. 

• KirmokinKirmokin freshpotential
    edited March 2014

My HRV has been lowered and become far more unpredictable in the past 2-3 months which I have spent experimenting with different herbs. Tribulus terrestris definitely didn't jive with me, it severely lowered my HRV, and my regular 4.5-5.5 scores on inner balance have yet to reappear since taking it. I started taking iodine daily since then also and didn't consider until now that it could have been a contributing factor.. Othewise it seems that horny goat weed and schizsandra (probably of bad quality) lowered it, and having gone an entire night without sleep seveeerlely lowered my HRV. 

Actually looking at my sleep cycle data, there seems to be somewhat of a correlation between the "sleep %" and HRV.

• It is ridiculous how much better I do right after a b12 shot.  My HRV data on this was compelling enough to get my doctor to double my prescription.  I just had my best session on Highest challenge averaging 6.3 but getting as high as 9.1 at times.  Prior to using B12 a month ago, I was lucky to break 4.0 on High level.

• For me:

Lowers

alot of fruit

bad sleep 

over training

hot weather

0-30g of carbs/day

Raises 

sitting still (temp)

cold weather

good sleep

not using my brain for reading, especially on computer

not thinking much

not working

the hrv breath pacer

listening to my breath during the day

The best thing is to track the hrv throughout the day and see what makes your hrv spike. when you have it in black and white its easier to make a decision next time. like hanging out with a co worker that you dont really like etc

• some interesting input here, good stuff. i think the movement thing is important...the few times i kept my emwave on while drumming i only seemed to get in the green for brief moments when i was really "in the zone", but then when i would shift tempos or move to a different part of my drumset or something i'd go back to the red pretty quick. 

one of these days when i am feeling like i have enough money to buy some more gadgets i think i would like to get something to measure HRV throughout the day. have any of you compared results across devices? the skeptic in me sometimes wonders if the HRV stuff is BS...like if you have a chest strap on and measure with one device, do you get identical readings with your emwave or whatever else you use?  also, do you find that your HRV throughout the day is way lower compared to your intentional HRV training sessions? 

• Heres a guy that measured different devices. The chest strap is accurate. Wristwatches not.

http://www.marcoaltini.com/2/post/2013/12/heart-rate-variability.html

• KirmokinKirmokin freshpotential

I just discovered that the cause of my low HRV on seemingly random days for the last 2 months was due to the rice I've been consuming. The brand is Double Diamond, basmati rice, and looking through my tracking data I found that my HRV was consistently low on mornings proceeding evenings where I consumed the rice. So apparently it has some mold or something on it. Really glad to have discovered this connection. The other brand I had prior did not affect HRV at all.

• I just discovered that the cause of my low HRV on seemingly random days for the last 2 months was due to the rice I've been consuming. The brand is Double Diamond, basmati rice, and looking through my tracking data I found that my HRV was consistently low on mornings proceeding evenings where I consumed the rice. So apparently it has some mold or something on it. Really glad to have discovered this connection. The other brand I had prior did not affect HRV at all.

More likely arsenic given the issues with virtually all rice now. Google for "Chris Kresser rice arsenic" for a good overview.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• I cut out forskolin a few months ago after I decided to prioritize lowering my cortisol.  I decided to reintroduce it last week at very low doses (<2mg) and after 2 days, my HRV went into the shitter.  It has been 2 days since I cut it out and I'm getting back to where I was.

FYI - my baseline is in the high 5s on highest (average coherence) for a roughly 10 minute session.  I went 3 days where I went into the low 4 / high 3 region and I when I got to green (which is at 6) I couldn't sustain it for very long.

• some interesting input here, good stuff. i think the movement thing is important...the few times i kept my emwave on while drumming i only seemed to get in the green for brief moments when i was really "in the zone", but then when i would shift tempos or move to a different part of my drumset or something i'd go back to the red pretty quick. 

one of these days when i am feeling like i have enough money to buy some more gadgets i think i would like to get something to measure HRV throughout the day. have any of you compared results across devices? the skeptic in me sometimes wonders if the HRV stuff is BS...like if you have a chest strap on and measure with one device, do you get identical readings with your emwave or whatever else you use?  also, do you find that your HRV throughout the day is way lower compared to your intentional HRV training sessions? 

The Emwave approaches HRV with a different measure to most of the other apps out there (e.g. HRV sense). So you have different metrics to compare.

I experimented with using a Polar H7 and an iphone app for HRV that could track 24/7. The issues with that afterwards are:

1. Analysis of the data is quite complicated - you have to export and run through software.

2. It's probably not a good idea to have a wireless Polar H7 or H6 (better as only bluetooth smart, lower energy) around you 24/7.

24/7 HRV tracking for a couple of weeks is still something I'd like to do at some point, but I haven't found a solution yet to make it worthwhile (accuracy, convenience, elimination of 24/7 EMF factor)

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• It is ridiculous how much better I do right after a b12 shot.  My HRV data on this was compelling enough to get my doctor to double my prescription.  I just had my best session on Highest challenge averaging 6.3 but getting as high as 9.1 at times.  Prior to using B12 a month ago, I was lucky to break 4.0 on High level.

I had the same experience

• Consuming resistant starch improves my HRV.

I still, for the life of me, can't get master the medium setting on the Emwave.

I read the Heartmath Soluton book and tried to implement the techniques, but they're too difficult to put into practice. It says to pretend you're breathing in and out through the heart and focus on positive thoughts, but my mind wanders a lot.
  • drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

random new agey technique i started doing sometimes when my mind wanders a lot: on the in breath focus on something good that you take in to your life/mind/body - think about good food or music or knowledge, something you appreciate. on the out breath focus on some way that you project good stuff out to the world, your work, your sharing of knowledge, etc. you can think of something different every breath cycle, or the same thing, but if you notice your mind wandering you can use that to at least focus on positive stuff instead of random crap. 

i'm still noticing way lower hrv scores after cold showers. kinda wish i had a waterproof emwave so i could see if its possible to stay coherent during a cold shower. guess i could try it in a cold bath...