Is 1,080 Calorie Coffee Still "fasting?"

I like to tell people that I:

+ do this thing called "intermittent fasting"

+ that I "skip breakfast"

+ "I only eat between noon and 8pm"

+ etc.

My coffee this morning had 1,080 calories from fat... Now I feel like a liar.

Maybe I'm not actually fasting.

FML.

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com

Comments

• Good word.

I'm going to assume you mean that I'm still getting the benefits of fasting - even though I'm consuming a shit ton of calories & fat.

You can call the fasting part a wash if you want, but there should be no question that you are autophagying (not a word but I laughed so it stays)

• How much volume is your morning coffee?

I'm finding that thick is best for me, been using 4.5oz butter 0.5mctc8 2tbsp collagen with about 5.5 oz of Aeropress coffee for a few months now, so the actual volume of what I'm drinking is around 9 or 10 fluid oz.

• It all fits easily into a regular size coffee mug. I'd guess it's around 10 oz.

How much volume is your morning coffee?

I'm finding that thick is best for me, been using 4.5oz butter 0.5mctc8 2tbsp collagen with about 5.5 oz of Aeropress coffee for a few months now, so the actual volume of what I'm drinking is around 9 or 10 fluid oz.

• edited March 2014

Up until recently I've been making a BP mocha that I estimate had over 600 cal worth of fat and another 100 from carbs and may be 100 from protein. I felt like it was slowing me down in the morning. So I started looking around to see what I can figure out about that.

On the bulletproof podcast episode #19 John Kiefer advises against any significant amount of calories in the morning. In contrast to that very recent Primal Blueprint Podcast episode #12 Mark Sisson says that a small amount of fat in your coffee won't interrupt your intermittent fasting. He references amounts of fat that are even smaller than what I'm using. Then I just listen to a Dr. Mercola podcast with Ori Hofmekler about the benefits of pre-workout coffee. And he stated that you should have nothing more than a small amount of fat (cream or half & half... I think it was) in your coffee. 

To make this long story short… I just recently started drinking cold brewed coffee with just a couple of ice cubes worth of "get some ice cream" in it. Ori Hofmekler (in the Mercola podcast) and Dave Asprey (BP podcast #19) make really compelling arguments for drinking coffee before your workout with nothing else to interrupt your intermittent fasting. Just to restate that another way you should do your work out in the morning during your intermittent fast with a shot or two of coffee in you.

• edited March 2014

I just recently started drinking cold brewed coffee with just a couple of ice cubes worth of "get some ice cream" in it.

That's a pretty cool idea.

• edited March 2014

Tonystocco... I think the short answer to your question is no you're not still fasting. But I think the real question is whether or not you are getting the benefits of intermittent fasting. And that depends on why your Intermittent fasting. Seems to me that there are three main reasons why people fast.

#1 to get the life extending benefits from limiting their caloric intake.

#2 to help them jumpstart in to ketosis.

#3 (the part that interest me the most) getting a boost in growth hormone production.

If I missed some points then I would love to hear them.

Seems to be clear that you won't be getting any benefits from a limited caloric intake. The second one seems like a tossup in my mind. You're probably not jumpstarting the Ketosis process but all that fat won't take you out of ketosis if you are all ready there. And it seems like the information is a little shaky on the boosting growth hormone production but I think you're going to have to limit all of your calories (fat calories or otherwise) in the morning in order to get that boosting growth hormone.

Personally I think I'll limit the amount of fat I put my coffee to round 300 or 400 cal worth except on the days that I work out. On those days I think I'll limited to about 100 calories.

RolandS... I'm glad you like that, it's really tasty and I think it speeds things up in the morning too. Cold brewed coffee is sweeter than regular coffee, add the bulletproof ice cream flavor in there and it is really a great way to start off your day... but, I can't take credit for it I'm almost certain I heard Dave say it in one of his podcasts. Really recommend you try it. I will take credit for modifying Dave's recipe just a little bit (you'll probably think I'm a culinary genius). I replaced the water that he recommends putting in to get some ice cream with about two shots worth of the upgraded espresso.

• edited April 2014

I think you're on to something with limiting total calories in the morning. I cut the calories (fat) in half and am feeling better than ever... and I don't want to fall asleep at 2pm anymore - so that afternoon crash is gone. Plus, I'm feeling slightly more focused and productive all day. And finally, I've had one afternoon workout since cutting the calories, and it was intense. Tons of energy, focus and anger. (anger helps when lifting heavy.) Based on those results, I'll continue to tweak / reduce the fat calories in the morning and see if I can recreate that kick ass workout. 

Thanks for the tip.

...And it seems like the information is a little shaky on the boosting growth hormone production but I think you're going to have to limit all of your calories (fat calories or otherwise) in the morning in order to get that boosting growth hormone.

Personally I think I'll limit the amount of fat I put my coffee to round 300 or 400 cal worth except on the days that I work out. On those days I think I'll limited to about 100 calories.

• Right on dude! I was really having a crash in the afternoon as well. When I first started the bulletproof coffee (don't laugh at me) I was doing karate moves in front of the mirror and bouncing up and down. When I started adding more and more stuff to it, I really really slowed down. I don't have my workout ... worked out, yet. Just did a workout today and got almost no pump out of it. I'll keep working on that though. 

• Right on dude! I was really having a crash in the afternoon as well. When I first started the bulletproof coffee (don't laugh at me) I was doing karate moves in front of the mirror and bouncing up and down. When I started adding more and more stuff to it, I really really slowed down. I don't have my workout ... worked out, yet. Just did a workout today and got almost no pump out of it. I'll keep working on that though.

I laughed. Sorry. :)
  • I'll get over it.  :-P