Podcast With Sara Gottfried -- Some Clues To Female Fat Loss In Middle Age

2»

Comments

• Thanks so much Dan Ayd and Mary,

I have been OCD about exercising since I was 16. Going on vacation for more than 3 days was always stressful because I was always afraid I would gain weight (always tummy and back fat)-funny thing is, I never did. Most often I would lose weight when on vacation *duh* that should have told me something!

When I stopped in December, it was very difficult to let go of it Mary, I did have to discipline myself not to exercise (adrenal stress disorder mandated it)

But I have to tell you, it is SO nice to have all this extra time; I used to work out 90 mins a day 5x weekly- add to that the drive to the gym/yoga studio (Baptiste style hot yoga); showering etc... it was close to 3 hours out of each day! 

15-20 min workouts is new to me, thank you Dan! i will begin doing it once or twice weekly.

I have done a little bit of jogging (30 mins) on my mini trampoline, is that beneficial as far as exercise goes? I know it is regenerative to our cellular system.

I do have almost daily "freak outs' over how much my body has changed, basically, I look better naked, but not in my clothes. I have never had to buy larger clothes, but if my body is healthier this way, I guess I will have to.

Thank you both!

• "I look better naked, but not in my clothes."  What a brilliant and succinct expression.  Reading your posts, I am so surprised (no more than you, I'm sure, ;-)) that your body is reacting in this way.  It sounds as though it is changing, and in a positive direction -- but it takes time maybe for the body to get into a rhythm that works for it.  The fat increase around your thighs must be distressing, and I hope you will keep us posted on the progress of that.  I am particularly concerned about fat gain, and it's too early to tell yet what is happening with me.  Some days, I think it's less.  Other days, I am convinced there is more.  Overall, I am trying to find my own ratio of things, (refeeds every two to three days,) and see how it goes.  Thanks so much for sharing -- please continue as time goes on.  Good luck!

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

My wife just got her book "The Hormone Cure" from the library but reading the jacket cover, she's turned off by the tone of Sara's...The Godfried Protocol? She says it seems more than a little egotistical...are there any targeted chapters I can suggest she skip to that might offer help to a BP-light, gluten-avoiding, 33 year old woman that's no longer interested in children and not seeking weight loss? Her cycle has been rough though and is why I listen to these podcasts with particular interest...I had suggested she give up diet soda (Coke Zero with Ace-K) and tap water (fluoride) for a month to see what happens...low and behold, she had a really short, normal period. One month isn't a trend, and the last really bad one occurred exactly on a full moon, the most recent was 4 days earlier but 4 weeks to the day (Saturday to Saturday) for onset...I thought the moon cycle was 28 days!

Anyway, despite hating the task of walking through the aisle in the store lined with those dang pink, purple and teal boxes (light, super, ultra, max, sport, dude, and I thought motor oil was a tough thing to choose!) I venture into this territory as a guy that wants his wife to feel good every week...and certainly not be crippled with cramps, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting for 3 days. Any chapter suggestions would be good...she's got her hands full with PT work and running our house so if she's going to send the book back to the library unread rather than wading headlong into the whole thing, I'd at least like her to find time to get a chapter or two that might target her age/need...thanks!

• NoogisNoogis
    edited April 2014
    This amazon review sums up my opinion, although maybe a bit more harshly.

It's too bad too, because she knows her stuff, I just wish she came off a bit more genuine, and less flirty just to seem fun.

I tried to listen to the health bridge podcast, it just seems so contrived.

Wasn't there another book or podcast about hormones? They talked about avocados I think.

I wish Dave didn't take older podcasts off of the feed. It's a pain to go find them and listen from a browser instead if my podcasts app.

Review:

"Forget the confusing organization and the long winded passages and the "I'm your girlfriend who loves top 40 music" vibe the author is trying to cultivate.

What she really wants you to do is pay for more of her (poorly organized and grossly overpriced) programs. Join her detoxes, take online classes, pay for a monthly newsletter (it's all regurgitated info from the book anyways) and pay for access to old webinars and speeches. It's a lofty goal to help women improve their health and hormone balance is a genuine issue but this woman leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. The website alone will set off alarms in any sane person's head - clearly this is someone who subscribes to the pyramid scheme marketing club."
  • I agree about the video mariah posted with Sara.  It is very informative!  A must see.  Sara is very relatable in it and many of her struggles are ones many of us women face.

Dan, you might take the kids out for an hour and let your wife watch it.  I was thinking about buying her book, but thanks MrsFloyd, Dan and Noogis for saving me the trouble. 

I think a lot of times, the issues women have reguarding losing the last bit of weight, are hormonal, rather than just a lack of will power or following a certin diet precisely.  Learning a little bit more about cortisol (which I knew very little about) and how susceptible we are to unbalanced hormones was enlightening.

I really struggle with the cutting back on exercise thing too Mariah, I know I overdo it.  I have cut back some, but I know I still push too hard and go too long and I know it has taken a toll on my adrenals.  I suppose slowly cutting back though is better than not at all.  Since the age of 14, I have exercised pretty intensely, a minimum of 60 minutes of cardio a day (running or really fast on elliptical) sometimes 90 minutes or more with next to no variation in routine.  I'm now down to 30 minutes of cardio (varied) with some bursts like 4 times a week plus weight training 2-3 times a week.  I too have a huge fear of gaining weight if I cut back my exercise.  My weight, though, is held primarily in my butt and thighs.  I always have a tiny waist and small arms/shoulders, etc, but a big butt and thighs.  I have a hard time buying pants too because they are always humongous in the waist and tight in the thighs, butt and legs. 

• hang in there healthymom!

Yes, I have been doing it for a long time and it affected my adrenals and hormones; you sound like me with the over exercising. It has been VERY healing for me to stop and *see* that though I have gained weight, not catastrophically as I always feared I would. There is much to be said for the emotional baggage we carry that can throw us into such things which truly are eating disorders in disguise.

ps: I would trade my skinny legs and butt for your tiny waist any day!

• I agree that over-exercising to that extent is some type of disorder.  At one point, before I figured out as a young adult that I needed to change what I was eating to heal myself, I was over exercising, eating junk, and vomiting up half of what I ate every single day.  I don't even know how I stayed alive through those couple years. 

This society is full of so much confusion and sickness regarding food and body image, and I was certainly part of it.  Thank God for messages of sanity like Dave's, for grass fed butter, and for real food!

• I agree about the video mariah posted with Sara.  It is very informative!  A must see.  Sara is very relatable in it and many of her struggles are ones many of us women face.
    Dan, you might take the kids out for an hour and let your wife watch it.  I was thinking about buying her book, but thanks MrsFloyd, Dan and Noogis for saving me the trouble. 

I think a lot of times, the issues women have reguarding losing the last bit of weight, are hormonal, rather than just a lack of will power or following a certin diet precisely.  Learning a little bit more about cortisol (which I knew very little about) and how susceptible we are to unbalanced hormones was enlightening.

I really struggle with the cutting back on exercise thing too Mariah, I know I overdo it.  I have cut back some, but I know I still push too hard and go too long and I know it has taken a toll on my adrenals.  I suppose slowly cutting back though is better than not at all.  Since the age of 14, I have exercised pretty intensely, a minimum of 60 minutes of cardio a day (running or really fast on elliptical) sometimes 90 minutes or more with next to no variation in routine.  I'm now down to 30 minutes of cardio (varied) with some bursts like 4 times a week plus weight training 2-3 times a week.  I too have a huge fear of gaining weight if I cut back my exercise.  My weight, though, is held primarily in my butt and thighs.  I always have a tiny waist and small arms/shoulders, etc, but a big butt and thighs.  I have a hard time buying pants too because they are always humongous in the waist and tight in the thighs, butt and legs.

Hi Healthymom23,
    Before you decide not to read the book based on a couple people's opinions, I think you could pick a hard copy up in a bookstore and skim it (or find a used copy). Noogis quoted one Amazon review out of 202 -- the book is actually rated 4.4 stars out of 5 and has 149 5-star reviews. The first part of the book is indeed kind of chatty like people are describing, but it becomes less so when Dr. Gottfried goes into the various hormonal imbalances that one can have. I'm a "skimmer" anyway, and ignored some of the first chapter or two, but the "cute" stuff doesn't bother me. I also don't think that the book is geared toward women in any one particular phase of their lives (such as those looking to get pregnant). If anything, Dr. Gottfried tries to cover a lot of ground and tries a little too hard to be all things to all women who might have a hormone imbalance.

I personally like her approach. Right now, I'm reading the section on androgen imbalances/PCOS and even though I doubt that has ever applied to me, if I had a friend with issues covered in that section, I could make some suggestions about how that friend could approach her doctor. I think her book is useful and handy as a reference book. And if you don't buy the book, well, she does have enough podcasts out there in cyberspace from which you can glean good information.

I hope this helps.
    Regards,

Mary

• The book does have a ton of information...and yes, its her "protocol" as much as Dave could have called this the Asprey protocol! It is a marketing thing. She is all about balancing hormones and doing what is right for YOUR body. The thing is...these kind of books are helpful but in order to really fix yourself but you need to be very good at n=1 OR be working with a very knowledgeable bio identical doctor who is aware of your lifestyle. 

Mariah...I also find that my tummy started to even out a bit when eating more carbs(not at the moment thanks to the worst month of eating since beginning this diet!). Some of us just need them to balance hormones...especially if adrenals are taxed! 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I know this about Dr. Gottfried:  While a lot of these gurus online materials are only marketing, she has PLENTY of free information for anyone willing to devote more time to research, read, listen, and watch.  Aside from her book, I have purchased nothing from her -- and it hasn't stopped me from experiencing what she actually teaches and learning from her.  She also has some yoga lessons on her youtube site -- which are very useful.  Yes, all of these people are doing marketing.  Some more than others.  What I like about her (as well as Dave Asprey) is that she isn't baiting you only to buy stuff, like Abel the Fat Burning Man, so called. 

• NoogisNoogis
    edited April 2014
    I agree with this. Like I said, she knows her stuff. I wouldn't doubt her knowledge. She is brilliant. I just don't relate, but I don't think I was meant to. I'm not in her target demographic.

By all means, please read her book. Most health info out there is what works for men.

Besides, I'm probably just still butthurt from her bait and switch book giveaway.

Another good point, I'm all about Abel James. Possibly because we are both handsome beasts. I just have a lot less muscles.

So I think there really is something to what I'm saying about me not relating to her. I see more than a few complaints about Abel from women on here that I don't agree with.

It's all about perspective. :)

Noogis quoted one Amazon review out of 202 -- the book is actually rated 4.4 stars out of 5 and has 149 5-star reviews.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

• ^  Great post, Noogis.  

To be clear, my objections to Abel James are not gender-related.  The content of his stuff is not what I object to -- it is his used car salesman marketing strategies, in which he discloses nothing for free.  He gives just enough to make you listen -- but not enough to use until you buy it.

• Gotcha, didn't mean to imply it was a gender thing.

I just listen to his podcast. I don't think I have ever even been to his site. So you may be correct, I just haven't had the chance to see it.

^ Great post, Noogis.

To be clear, my objections to Abel James are not gender-related. The content of his stuff is not what I object to -- it is his used car salesman marketing strategies, in which he discloses nothing for free. He gives just enough to make you listen -- but not enough to use until you buy it.

• So I just discovered that Dr. Gottfried has a podcast called "Health Bridge."  In case anyone is interested out there.

• I hear what you are saying Marielle and I agree.  Thank you.  I am not closed off to her ideas, even if at some points she has a "buy my stuff" approach.  Sorry if I made my reponse sound dismissive of her.  I like Gottfried.  I think she has a ton of valuable information that should absolutely be out there, so thank God for her.  I just think a lot of what she has to say requires that you have a great doctor who will listen to you, who you are able to visit frequently, and who will run many blood tests on you.  I currently have a horrible doctor who knows jack squat and I think He has a pretty severe case of alzheimers.  I rarely leave the house since I have 3 kids 3 and under, so I don't have the energy/effort/option of having blood drawn monthly or seeing doctors very often.  In a few years when my kids are a bit older, this will change, I'm sure.

I actually like Abel James too.  He has some really good guests on his show.  I particularily enjoyed when he had the "Grain Brain" doctor/author on.  I've never visited his site or looked into him additionally though, but everybody has to make money somehow.  If they are spending their lives researching and studying and using themselves as guinea pigs to give us sound information, I think they should be paid for their expertise. 

• A lot of our opinions must be based on which podcasts we each happened to catch. Most health coaches it seems don't bat 1000 with their podcasts 100% of the time. I didn't think Abel James was a salesman (well-spoken and nice looking, yes), but of his podcasts I managed to listen to, none had much substance. But in fairness, maybe the ones I heard weren't a good sample of his best podcasts.

Right now, I'm really liking Marc David and the psychology of eating. Ameer Rosic has some good ones. Every podcast where Denise Minger has been a guest has been fabulous. The one who puts me off is Jimmy Moore, but some people think he's great, go figure. I get a lot out of Jack Kruse's blogs, but there again, his maverick personality irritates some.

Mary

2»