Paleo Hummus

I just discovered this recipe and the baby loves it. It is not 100% BP but compared to other stuff it is great. Mix with rice!

Roasted Cauliflower

Tahini

Lemons

Olive oil

Salt

Garlic

Paprika

Comments

• I wonder what could be substituted for the tahini to give a similar taste?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Luckily it says "Paleo Hummus" and not "Bulletproof Hummus" ;-)

• edited April 2014

I've seen recipe's for hummus that do not include tahini. I'm assuning it's not that different without it. All the other ingredients sound fantastic.

• without the tahini, it's a little bit like cauliflower mashed "potatoes" in which case i'd ommit the lemon juice and add butter in place of olive oil.  pretty baby-friendly

• could you make your own tahini with sesame seeds, chia seeds, and mct oil to balance out the omega 3/6 ratio? 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• i don't think mct oil has omegas.  i think besides the omega balance, the phytic acid content would be an issue with unsoaked seeds.

• No omegas in mct, but lots in tahini(sesame)...I mean balance the tahini omega 6 by making own with a blend of chia and sesame seeds...don't know if that would even work. Just a thought.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I'm obsessed with Hummus,

Our recipe is:

1 can of chickpeas

1 lemon

80ml Olive Oil

2 TBSP tahini

1 Teaspoon Cumin

2 cloves garlic

Their is a tonne of o6 in it, could we hack the downsides of the Tahini by popping some fish oils and tumeric?

I try to get around 10grams of fish oil a day, which equates to 3g of EPA and 2g of DHA

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

maybe use flaxseed instead of sesame? This of course if you want to make tahini yourself.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Hummus is like crack to me. 

Seriously... I can make a 2 cans worth of chickpea hummus... food process it up....

and it disappears very very rapidly. :( I have to save myself from myself, by making it infrequently.

I'm obsessed with Hummus,

Our recipe is:

1 can of chickpeas

1 lemon

80ml Olive Oil

2 TBSP tahini

1 Teaspoon Cumin

2 cloves garlic

Their is a tonne of o6 in it, could we hack the downsides of the Tahini by popping some fish oils and tumeric?

I try to get around 10grams of fish oil a day, which equates to 3g of EPA and 2g of DHA

• The reason you put tahini in hummus is to complete the protein profile; apparently garbonzos are missing one and the tahini picks up the slack (this per the Good Eats episode covering hummus).

Since you're not using garbonzos I don't see any reason to use the tahini.    If you're interested in adding a nut flavor, you could go with the nut-butter of your preference.  

• You could replace tahini with bacon..... that would complete the protein profile. Right?

The reason you put tahini in hummus is to complete the protein profile; apparently garbonzos are missing one and the tahini picks up the slack (this per the Good Eats episode covering hummus).

Since you're not using garbonzos I don't see any reason to use the tahini.    If you're interested in adding a nut flavor, you could go with the nut-butter of your preference.  

• You could replace tahini with bacon..... that would complete the protein profile. Right?

Yuuuum!

How do you make yours Garrett?

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2014

The last one I did was

2 cans of chickpeas with the skins taken off (a bitchload of work, but it makes it a hell of a lot smoother)

~3 tbsp EVOOOOOO

some garlic

some salt (forget amount)

some water

Blended up.

Twas tasty. Though I wonder what WOULD happen if a person would baconify some hummus.... maybe add a bit of MCT Oil. 

Mmmm.... baconified hummus......

Yuuuum!

How do you make yours Garrett?