How To Hack Gray/grey Hair?

RoarkRoark
edited April 2014 in General Discussion

I haven't seen any meaningful discussion on this in the biohacking community, and due to my present situation, I am keenly interested in the topic!

I'm a 29 year old male, 5'10" and 170lbs at the moment, and in recent months there has been an onslaught of grey/white hairs erupting from both sides of my head. It's so dramatic after my most recent haircut, the majority of friends who see me comment on it, asking "when did this start happening?" The answer to that question is: just a few months ago.  The answer to "why" it's happening is completely evading me...

I'll give a quick synopsis of my lifestyle and diet, and if you see anything either present that could be causing it, or anything absent that could help prevent/reverse it, please let me know!

I've been bulletproof for over a year now quite consistently. I wake up around 10am without an alarm after about 8 hours of sleep. I immediately drink bulletproof coffee (about 16 ounces, 2tbs MCT, 1tbs butter, upgraded coffee beans). With my coffee I supplement with collagen, vitamin C, kelp/iodine, magnesium, krill oil, D3, and K2. Between 10am to 5pm I don't eat, but I take 1tbs of MCT oil twice in that time about an hour or two apart from each other. Then around 5pm or 6pm I eat my main meal (1/2lb grass fed beef, 4 pastured eggs, 3tbs butter). I usually also include a large head of broccoli with my meal, but I've been trying to lean out, so I cut the broccoli to reduce carbs. With this meal, I supplement with kelp/iodine, zinc/copper, adrenal optimizer, cordyceps mushroom, selenium, and biotin. If I get hungry before bed, I'll usually drink 8oz of full fat organic coconut milk. I usually have 1 day a week not eating bulletproof with friends, where I consume a lot of carbs and calories. I maintain roughly an 18/6 intermittent fasting schedule, sometimes pushing it to 20-24 hours fasting. Lately I've been doing Dave's 2tsp of honey with 1tbs MCT before bed. I guess the only other thing to mention is my water intake, which is usually between 128-200 ounces per day.

So - from what I've seen, most people think copper supplementation is most important. I've also seen the importance of iodine to ensure proper thyroid. I'm in ketosis most of the time - could that be a stressor? I intermittent fast everyday, could that be a stressor? I have yet to see a full elaboration on the how, when, and why to use Glutathione, but could that be something to add?

My day job involves regularly lifting semi-heavy objects. I just started incorporating the Body By Science 12 minute per week workout protocol. I also recently purchased an inversion therapy table, and have been hanging upside down for about 5 minutes a day (it's been said the increased blood flow to the head improves the health of the scalp, among other things).

I don't know what to add or subtract from any of the above, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• When did your Dad, Uncles, Granddads turn grey/white? I think hair color like baldness is mostly genetic. My granddad had some of the most beautiful white hair and I was always told that he got grey really early. My uncles also started getting grey hair by their 30s and full on white hair by mid 40s.

Maybe somebody will chime in with supplement, diet, or lifestyle advice to help alter hair color, but I think there is probably little you can do other than cutting or dying it.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

There's an anti-aging drug called TA65. I've heard reports that grey hair goes away. I've never tried it. 

• RoarkRoark
    edited April 2014

There's an anti-aging drug called TA65. I've heard reports that grey hair goes away. I've never tried it. 

Dang, 600 bucks a pop! May need to wait on that one...

As far as genetics goes, there's no telling. My dad works in a position that has required his appearance to remain relatively unchanged for 40 years now, and so I don't even know at what point his hair ceased being naturally colored, or real for that matter.

I'm in a similar industry, and so if hair remains the 'no-biohacking-here' zone that it generally tends to be, then dye may have to be the solution...

• YOu should also look for some natural options..

• can anybody agree on what is an awesome hair dye??

• GeijutsuGeijutsu
    edited July 2014

Revgenetics sells the TA65 for much less.

http://www.revgenetics.com/store/p-121-ta-65-telomerase-activator.aspx

Dang, 600 bucks a pop! May need to wait on that one...

As far as genetics goes, there's no telling. My dad works in a position that has required his appearance to remain relatively unchanged for 40 years now, and so I don't even know at what point his hair ceased being naturally colored, or real for that matter.

I'm in a similar industry, and so if hair remains the 'no-biohacking-here' zone that it generally tends to be, then dye may have to be the solution...

• $600 a pop..

i'll buy two!

• I woke up with a lot of grey hair in my early twenties one day. For sure due to stress. I was studying full time and running two businesses. Stopped stressing and it went away after a few months.

Stress is probably something that can cause grey hair. 

1.5 year ago just before starting paleo Ive had a few grey hairs here and there for some time. They are All gone now. Took like 6 months and something I just noticed one day. Could be the diet or it could be the fact that I also started meditating at the same time. Or both.

As you, ive also noticed that low carb stresses my body. The overall hair quality gets worse when im low starch for some reason.

• 4 years on :) I'd like to comment on this thread and say that I get noticed going grey in my early 20s. Just a few at the side of my head.
    It dawn didn't me until later on that it was drinking caffeinated beverages that was causing it.

I can reverse most of my greying within about 2 weeks but it's a strict diet of lots of greens, no alcohol, wheat or sugar and no caffeine.

It's to do with maintaining catalase levels. This breaks down hydrogen peroxide which is bleaching the hair follicle. As we age we produce less catalase.

• @capricious71 said:
    4 years on :) I'd like to comment on this thread and say that I get noticed going grey in my early 20s. Just a few at the side of my head.
    It dawn didn't me until later on that it was drinking caffeinated beverages that was causing it.

I can reverse most of my greying within about 2 weeks but it's a strict diet of lots of greens, no alcohol, wheat or sugar and no caffeine.

It's to do with maintaining catalase levels. This breaks down hydrogen peroxide which is bleaching the hair follicle. As we age we produce less catalase.

Yes you are right maintaining catalase levels will reduce h2o2 levels in body ..can you please give detailed diet you followed .....i got greys at 14 now 25 .......i want to turn them black

• I wouldn't worry about that. Now beauty issues can be solved without any problems. If you are worried about gray hair, you can always find a good hair dye. It’s easier than being nervous and wasting your time to improve the result a little bit. I don't have long eyelashes from nature. Such genes( I didn't worry and just use false eyelashes, as here - https://alleyelashes.com/velour/ It looks even cooler than natural eyelashes. A simple solution, but no stress)