Metabolism Of C8 Vs C10 And Brain Octane Vs Mct

edited April 2014 in General Discussion

Now before anyone get's upset, I've already used the search function and haven't come across anything.

I was wondering what is the difference in metabolism between the two, and why Upgraded Brain Octane works more for the brain while upgraded MCT is more for metabolism and brain.

Both are broken down into ketones immediately as stated on the product pages which can then be used as energy by the body and brain faster.

This purportedly bypasses the long and slow metabolic pathway of ingesting typical fats.

Now here is the part I  don't get.

The 3 ketones our bodies produce are:

1. Beta Hydroxybutyrate (BHOB) - Measured via blood ketones, and the primary metabolically active ketone

2. Acetoacetate - Measured via urine dip sticks, not very active

3. Acetone - Can be measured via breath, also not very active.

So presumably both the C8 and C10 get broken down into BHOB... so what's the difference in effect within our body and brain?

Why does pure C8 in Brain Octane preferentially go to our brain compared to the C8 + C10 combination in MCT oil?

If anyone can refer to any literature out there describing this, I'd really appreciate it.  

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

Comments

• Bio-chemistry is not the answer here.  You have to widen your search a bit to accommodate specific genetic transcription in the carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation.  The polyphasic modulation of caprylic acid encourages beta-hydroxybutytase where as capric acid encourages poly-hydroxybutyrase.  

Begin your research there, and look for which of these enzymes are expressed in the brain, and which are expressed in the liver.  There you will find your answer.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Once you find the answer, write a blog post about it. I can't believe how many posts there have been with "what's the difference between MCT and Brain Octane". There's a definite need for it! This thread is good as you're going deeper into the actual differences in metabolism. I like it!

• Bio-chemistry is not the answer here.  You have to widen your search a bit to accommodate specific genetic transcription in the carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation.  The polyphasic modulation of caprylic acid encourages beta-hydroxybutytase where as capric acid encourages poly-hydroxybutyrase.  

Begin your research there, and look for which of these enzymes are expressed in the brain, and which are expressed in the liver.  There you will find your answer.

I feel like you know the answer... and are sending me on a quest to slay the dragon of my own ignorance and attain the treasure that is knowledge.

Wish me luck on my journey. I hope to return unscathed.

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

Great answer, but I found myself reading it in the voice of the Frog King guiding Lemmiwinks. 

lemmiwinks.jpg

Bio-chemistry is not the answer here.  You have to widen your search a bit to accommodate specific genetic transcription in the carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation.  The polyphasic modulation of caprylic acid encourages beta-hydroxybutytase where as capric acid encourages poly-hydroxybutyrase.  

Good luck, bjjcaveman! Many perils await you in the small intestine.

• *tosses some CILTEP down bjjcaveman's throat* Go do more research! :D

• Ok guys... neck deep in research.. just pulled almost 20 research articles... learning some interesting things, but haven't gotten the answer yet... next on the agenda... reading through these articles without falling asleep!

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• edited April 2014
    ACH85 said "Good luck, bjjcaveman! Many perils await you in the small intestine."

DID YOU MAKE IT OUT YET!
  • HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Please make us a Youtube video with animations and bullet points. 

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• To be perfectly honest, I had a long day yesterday and I was too lazy to dig up the research.  Here is the study:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030264887889

Because Caprylic acid (C8) has a lower molecular weight, it makes its polymorphic transformation (meets with an enzyme to modulate to a ketone) to BHB which acts upon the central nervous system, and can cross the blood brain barrier.  Capric acid (C10) must be broken at the methyl group and modulates into a ketone which is homologous to BHB, but it must take place in the liver (not only to act a a carbon donor, but that is where the enzymes are expressed).  There are other studies that show a lower requirement for glucose as a result.  This suggests that the skeletal muscles benefit more from capric acid (C10) and the brain and CNS benefit more from caprylic acid (C8).

As you can see, it is not as simple as the metabolism charts the introductory biology textbooks make it out to be.  They all contain the obligatory Acetyl CoA (or carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation) to provide energy, but you have to know some genetics to understand where these enzymes are expressed in the body.

Hope that helps!

• That answer only partially addresses the question... but I feel comfortable now that I've got the answer.

Working on a write up now.  Learned lots of new things... stay tuned.  It was a worthwhile quest, and I've returned unscathed... and a bit enlightened. 

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• To be perfectly honest, I had a long day yesterday and I was too lazy to dig up the research.  Here is the study:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030264887889

Because Caprylic acid (C8) has a lower molecular weight, it makes its polymorphic transformation (meets with an enzyme to modulate to a ketone) to BHB which acts upon the central nervous system, and can cross the blood brain barrier.  Capric acid (C10) must be broken at the methyl group and modulates into a ketone which is homologous to BHB, but it must take place in the liver (not only to act a a carbon donor, but that is where the enzymes are expressed).  There are other studies that show a lower requirement for glucose as a result.  This suggests that the skeletal muscles benefit more from capric acid (C10) and the brain and CNS benefit more from caprylic acid (C8).

As you can see, it is not as simple as the metabolism charts the introductory biology textbooks make it out to be.  They all contain the obligatory Acetyl CoA (or carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation) to provide energy, but you have to know some genetics to understand where these enzymes are expressed in the body.

Hope that helps!

I will also add this article to my write up!  Thanks!

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• More CILTEP and BPC for bjj :) GO! Bring us the holy grail of MCTlightenment!

• What else is a married guy to do on a friday night...

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• OM

Then Project MCT.

What else is a married guy to do on a friday night...

• Oming and mct go very well together.
  • I wonder if MCT Oil would be an ample enough lubrication source to use for OMing... esp with gloves (to avoid any potential rough skin or shtuff on the fingers). 

Something to ponder :)

Oming and mct go very well together.

• Alright guys, I'm hours deep into the research and 3 pages into the writeup... it's going to take me at least a day to finish the writeup, which as of now will be pretty exhaustive guide on MCT... a guide to end all guides, at least for the purposes of these forums.  I have all the reference papers also dating back to 1982... and the 1964 paper that hooper provided, and will be citing these.

So.... do you want to wait for the full post in a day or two? 

Or do you want me to give you the answer?

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Oming and mct go very well together.

=====

Hey! That's not MCT!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Bio-chemistry is not the answer here.  You have to widen your search a bit to accommodate specific genetic transcription in the carnatine channel leading to fat oxidation.  The polyphasic modulation of caprylic acid encourages beta-hydroxybutytase where as capric acid encourages poly-hydroxybutyrase.  

This was better said than Yoda.

1465854-yoda1.jpg

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• We Want The TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• This is defnitely how I interpreted how he said it!

This was better said than Yoda.

1465854-yoda1.jpg

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• Thus spoke Zarathustra :p

We Want The TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LOL...I really can't wait to see this!

• bjjcaveman - potentially this entire project, if deep enough, could be turned into a short film :p 

• Hot off the presses!

http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/04/05/upgraded-mct-oil-vs-upgraded-brain-octane-rough-draft/

This is definitely a rough draft... and I'm not sure why wordpress is screwing up my formatting, but watevers... you guys demanded it!

I plan on putting together a more polished writeup... so keep an eye out for that

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• Interpretive dance?

Hot off the presses!

http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/04/05/upgraded-mct-oil-vs-upgraded-brain-octane-rough-draft/

This is definitely a rough draft... and I'm not sure why wordpress is screwing up my formatting, but watevers... you guys demanded it!

I plan on putting together a more polished writeup... so keep an eye out for that

• Coconut oil works great. Everything else seems to be poison.

I wonder if MCT Oil would be an ample enough lubrication source to use for OMing... esp with gloves (to avoid any potential rough skin or shtuff on the fingers).

Something to ponder :)

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats

MCT feeds your Midi-chlorians

• MCT feeds your Midi-chlorians

So is that why my Force sensitivity has gone up since going Bulletproof?

• Coconut oil works great. Everything else seems to be poison.

funny story here - I tried to teach the OM cult in SF to make a better lube...

why are we talking about this in the mct thread?