Unable To Sleep A Full Night Without Waking Up

2»

Comments

• TylerTyler
    edited November 2014

The major problem is waking up to pee.

I have this same problem. If I drink nothing in the evening to the point where I have an uncomfortably dry mouth I will still wake up after about 5 hours needing to go.

Alternatively If I drink water at my usual rate which isn't excessive by any means, I will often have to go 4 times during my sleep, 11pm to 8am.

I eat fairly well, 90% BP and am very fit and healthy. 

This is my current biggest issue because sleep for me is very important in regulating overall mood and performance at work and that constant interruption definitely makes a difference. 

​I will very much appreciate any advice! :smile:

On a side note, does anyone know roughly how long it takes water to make it's way from the mouth to the other end? 

• I have this same problem. If I drink nothing in the evening to the point where I have an uncomfortably dry mouth I will still wake up after about 5 hours needing to go.

Alternatively If I drink water at my usual rate which isn't excessive by any means, I will often have to go 4 times during my sleep, 11pm to 8am.

I'd look at salt and potassium intake. If it's low, you may have trouble retaining the water. Adding a pinch of sea salt to water generally helps with retention. 

If this frequency also happens during the day, depending on your age, could enlarged prostate be an issue? 

• I'd look at salt and potassium intake. If it's low, you may have trouble retaining the water. Adding a pinch of sea salt to water generally helps with retention. 

If this frequency also happens during the day, depending on your age, could enlarged prostate be an issue? 

Thanks for that, I will up my potassium and try adding a little salt to my drinks. I stopped drinking 4 hours before bed yesterday and actually made it through the whole night until I had to go around 7 30am which was perfect as it got me out of bed early. I still felt thirsty this whole time however. My pee is always clear so I assume I'm not dehydrated. Maybe I just enjoy a good cold drink, it does get hot down here...

I'm 29, hopefully nothing wrong with the prostate just yet :-/ 

• Thanks for that, I will up my potassium and try adding a little salt to my drinks. I stopped drinking 4 hours before bed yesterday and actually made it through the whole night until I had to go around 7 30am which was perfect as it got me out of bed early. I still felt thirsty this whole time however. My pee is always clear so I assume I'm not dehydrated. Maybe I just enjoy a good cold drink, it does get hot down here...

Dave has recommended the salt, and I am reading Kelly Starrett's Ready to Run. One of his "standards" for being ready to run, or any physical activity, is being well hydrated. He makes the claim that if you don't salt your water (or add fancier electrolytes) you can pee clear but still be dehydrated. 

On the one hand, this makes sense: if your body is low on salt, additional water will make the problem worse, relatively speaking: you'll have less grams of salt per oz of hydration in your body. 

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much salt is in the average river, and therefore how our ancestors, along with most animals, would stay properly hydrated if it's true. 

However I recently started adding salt and I seem to be retaining a bit more water. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

I still felt thirsty this whole time however. My pee is always clear so I assume I'm not dehydrated. Maybe I just enjoy a good cold drink, it does get hot down here...

Pee should not really be clear, it should generally have some shade of yellow to it. of course now & again is fine if you overhydrate. 

Clear pee will be due to either i) overhydration or ii) 'something else'*.

If your pee is clear due to overhydration, you just end up peeing away valuable minerals/electrolytes, that need to be replaced.

*now to the 'something else'...

it could be many things...try googling your symptoms ie. clear urine nocturia thirst etc

your symptoms of thirst, frequent urination, clear urine, do match diabetes symptoms...not that you have diabetes...just saying.

may be get your Doc to runs some tests...blood, kidney function etc

Diabetes insipidus also gets mentioned, which as far as i can tell is 'not really' diabetes.

Anyway, here's just one related article that google threw back; Does clear urine mean you're healthy? What causes clear urine?

fake it till you make it