Bp Coffee And Stomach Aches

Hey guys. First off I just wanted to say that I know this topic has been gone over a lot on this forum in the past. I just wanted to start a thread where we could do some quick problem solving of the issue of stomach aches after bullet proof coffee (specifically the MCTs in the coffee).

I've been having stomach aches after my morning bullet proof coffee, and they usually last until I eat something later in the day. They're not terrible, they're just uncomfortable. I have read a few of the other threads on this topic and have some possible solutions.

1: Try having the coffee with food.

2: Try lowering the amount of MCTs you are using and slowly increasing over time.

3: Try taking a fat-digesting enzyme with the coffee.

4: If you have been on a low carb diet for a long time without proper re-feeds you may have leaky gut and should look for solutions to fix that issue first.

5: I am out of solutions, but 5 is a more satisfying number.

Please feel free to add more possible solutions to this problem.

Here is my attack strategy.

1: I plan on starting with #1 since that's the easiest, but this will mess up my usual intermittent fasting routine. I would like to find another solution that will let me keep intermittent fasting and still have my morning coffee.

2: I've already done #2, which has removed the need to sprint to the bathroom after too much MCT, but hasn't helped with the stomach aches.

3: Will try #3...

4: I don't think I have leaky gut, but I should probably do some research on that to make sure.

5: ...I can't help it.

Any further information that can help me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Dr.M

Comments

• I've been feeling the nauseous ache about 1-2 hours after I finish the coffee. I use Coconut Oil in my coffee. I save the Brain Octane for the blended protein coffee shake. (see my other post) My thoughts steer to 'where' in the gut the concoction is in relation to the time until the nausea hits. I wonder where in the gut might be causing that feeling. I've tempered the nausea with some snacking some GF Rice Chex cereal with the coffee. I don't think I can lower the butter of oil any more; I keep mine to 2 tbs. of butter and 1 tbs. of oil. I agree with the desire to 'mess with' the IF. It would be nice to get other's thoughts.

MKB

• edited April 2014
    Does the nausea and stomach ache come with heartburn? Or any heartburn throughout the day?
  • Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, JCastro and Airfed! It appears you both are off to a good start here, but if you need assistance, let the moderators know.

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • edited April 2014

You shouldn't have to eat to avoid negative side effect from the BP coffee and if you're still getting stomach aches after lowering the MCT then I'm thinking one of the following is the cause:

1) Sensitivity to coffee/caffeine and/or Butter.

2) Herx reaction from anti-microbial effects of MCT consumption

3) Low stomach acid/Lipase production.

I'd do this...

Try knocking back some Betaine HCL capsules with your first sip (go with 4-5 650mg ones to ensure you are actually covered). If that works then you have your answer. If not, do the same with Lipase. If neither work alone then do both together. If that still doesn't work then try a cup of hot water blended with the butter and MCT and see what happens. If you're still in the same boat then do butter in hot water only. If you're still in the same boat then do the same with Ghee. If you're STILL on that damn boat then I'd say it's prob a herx reaction from the MCT which may pass with time or require further investigation.

MSc student. Health Nerd.

• I find Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract (DGL) helps quite a bit. Taken before or after.

• I wouldn't recommend taking Betaine HCL, unless you fully research this supplement. The same goes for everything that's recommended to take by BP and BP bloggers. You should also look into low stomach acid and the ways you can test yourself for low stomach acid production. My post is not meant to step on any toes, but somethings do not always work for everyone and at times may be harmful to some.
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Try to use a digestive enzyme supplement like Digest Gold by Enzymedia or just straight lipase for a few days and see if your digestion improves. For most people with proper gallbladder and liver function their body will adapt to the extra fat in the diet in a few weeks and most people will be fine. The extra saturated fat that you aren't used to in your diet irritates the intestinal lining, which can cause stomach aches and diarrhea.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I'm in the same boat.  I get really bad nausea after having the coffee (about 2tbs butter and 1tbs brain octane) and feel pretty incapacitated.  I'm going to try taking more than one Betaine HCL tablet and see how that works, otherwise I'm moving on to the digest gold idea.  I'll keep you posted on how it works for me. 

• As a follow up: if I'm getting nausea WITHOUT any heartburn or stomach pains, should I be trying a different approach?  I'm guessing it might be that I'm just getting used to the MCT oil...

Thanks!

• Hi folks - Specifically Mickles27 and Airfed -

I too have noticed nausea after having BPC but I've determined my pattern (maybe). I only suffer nausea later in the day if I continue drinking coffee (just plain coffee not BPC). 

So I wonder if it's a quantity thing. 

Just one big cup (10 oz or so) of BPC is all I need and have no ill effects. But, if I brew say enough for my BP cup and a to-go mug for the office - even sipping on the second mug triggers the nausea (with or w/o a little Almond milk to cut the acidity). 

How much coffee are you drinking, BP or otherwise?

Personally, I'd love to find a way to drink coffee 24/7 so if it's not a quantity issue, that's good news for me. 

Cheers,

C

• I have an interesting twist to this topic.  I've been doing BP coffee for almost 2 years now, primarily KG butter at 4 TBSP, no MCT (waaaay too many problems there).  I tend to have some nausea/digestive discomfort about 1-2 hours afterwards, lessened with a digestive enzyme.  Nothing new here, as many people experience this. 

Here's the twist: I have a local dairy that's doing raw, grass fed milk & butter, which I recently had the chance to try.  I kept to my 2 oz/4 TBSP butter morning BP coffee and had zero stomach pain/problems.  My problem?  She doesn't always have butter!!!  So I was back to KG today, and the nausea/stomach discomfort was back with a vengeance!!

I'm wondering if the whole stomach discomfort/nausea isn't somehow related to the processing of the oil, as I seem to have a similar issue with the MCT or brain octane oil.  May be something specific to some of us.  We'll definitely have to keep digging.  In the mean time, I'm reaching for my combination of digestive enzymes & probiotics to keep on being bulletproof (at least my coffee).

• I gave up on mct also. Coconut oil is fine
  • edited December 2014

First time on the forums!  Bought the BP Coffee Kit about 6 weeks ago.  Did fine for a while, then stopped because of the nausea!  Got my BP Diet book on 12/2, began reading and note taking.  Stocked up on BP food & started back on the BP coffee this morning.  1 TB KG, 1 TB MCT oil to start out.  Nausea came right back!  I'm an "all day long coffee drinker" kind of gal, so I don't think it is the coffee.  My personal thought is the coffee, butter & oil on an otherwise empty stomach.  Suggestions?  Advice??  Thanks

PS:  forgot to add that I use the BP coffee in the K-cups, but also have beans, a burr grinder and French Press.  I started out with the French Press and got the K-cups later.  Also, I use KG salted as I am unable to find grass-fed unsalted butter of any kind.  I tried organic unsalted butter but actually like the salted better!

• First time on the forums!  Bought the BP Coffee Kit about 6 weeks ago.  Did fine for a while, then stopped because of the nausea!  Got my BP Diet book on 12/2, began reading and note taking.  Stocked up on BP food & started back on the BP coffee this morning.  1 TB KG, 1 TB MCT oil to start out.  Nausea came right back!  I'm an "all day long coffee drinker" kind of gal, so I don't think it is the coffee.  My personal thought is the coffee, butter & oil on an otherwise empty stomach.  Suggestions?  Advice??  Thanks

PS:  forgot to add that I use the BP coffee in the K-cups, but also have beans, a burr grinder and French Press.  I started out with the French Press and got the K-cups later.  Also, I use KG salted as I am unable to find grass-fed unsalted butter of any kind.  I tried organic unsalted butter but actually like the salted better!

Welcome. At first blush I'd think you have a fat digestion problem, but in that case I'm not sure why you "did fine for a while" before developing nausea. Have you had your gallbladder removed? Do you eat similar levels of fat with meals (like a tablespoon of kerrgyold and MCT on veggies,) and if so do you have nausea then? Are you blending the coffee and fats well?

• Welcome. At first blush I'd think you have a fat digestion problem, but in that case I'm not sure why you "did fine for a while" before developing nausea. Have you had your gallbladder removed? Do you eat similar levels of fat with meals (like a tablespoon of kerrgyold and MCT on veggies,) and if so do you have nausea then? Are you blending the coffee and fats well?

When I first started with the BP coffee I used smaller amounts and "eased up" to 1 TB of each, and then going up to a 1 1/2 TB each, etc. I think the nausea developed after I got past 1 TB. I've never had fat digestion issues in the past, I haven't been consuming lots of fat recently, but certainly haven't been "fat free." I use a stick blender to blend, probably 20-30 seconds. I do feel that I probably need something to eat along with the BP coffee, even in the beginning with intermittent fasting. What is a good thing for me to have with it?

Thank you so much for your help!!