Triathlon- Diet And Supplements

hey all,

new to the forum thought i'd ask opinions on my life 

firstly please don't post 20 comments on how endurance exercise is bad for you and that i'm destroying my body with it. I love triathlon and everyday i wake up excited to train harder and get faster, and love the hours i spend in the pool riding and cycling.

i'm not asking for minimalist training approaches or how i can cross fit my way to endurance, cause at the end of the day triathlon is what i love and its what I'm gonna keep doing.  its through triathlon i found bulletproof 

what i would love to get everyones opinion on is how to maximise my energy and recovery, ways to drop to race weight, and thoughts on my current eating schedule and supplements. 

currently i am training for my first ironman, but have been competing in half ironmans and shorter races for the last 4 years. 

i train between 15-25 hours a week, twice a day, 7 days a week, (again don't need to here how i'm overtraining)

weekdays i train first thing around 5am with only coffee and amino acids (master amino pattern MAP x5) and take in a shake with 20-30g goats whey protein (Mt capra deep 30 or double bonded) or rice protein (have been using these for a while due to problems with cows dairy) and mixing it with 20g u can super starch and maybe some mct and chia seeds

i will then only have bp coffee till 12pm

lunch veg tuna olive oil (tuna have just been cheap easy and convenient) 

train again between 3-5pm for 1-3 hours map before hand

dinner 7-8pm usually sweet potato, GF butter, GF steak or salmon or liver, and green veg like kale

trying to keep my diet as bulletproof as possible 

supplement wise i take a absolute s&*t load- i'm always N=1testing on my self and have made my self crook may time doing this

currenty taking vitamin d and c, cod liver oil, krill oil, adaptagenic herb complex, zinc, glutamine, probiotic enzyme, digestive enzyme, PAGG stack, potassium, magnesium, ciltep, goat milk colostrum, valerian root, and coQ10

weekend longer session i use u can super starch and then use gels towards the end or if I'm doing harder intervals as i run out of steam on super starch.

questions- am i going to lower carb? i do bonk on weekend long rides until i take a gel usually around the 4 hour mark

I have been doing the tim ferris style cheat meal and his PAGG stack. The cheat meal works mentally and socially for me, but is it ruining my metabolic efficiency? also unsure on the PAGG using it for that past month can't say weather its worked at all or not, have not dropped weight but have dropped bf%

is my post work to shake ruining any chance of being ever in ketosis, i've found fasting after the first session has me running out of steam in my afternoon sessions.

I currently weight 74kg and am hoping to race june 9 at 68kg, 

and would taking u can super starch with bp coffee take me out of "fat burning", planning to test with a new blood glucose monitor i got.  

any thoughts ideas and help are welcomed and appreciated 

thanks

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Have you looked at Ben Greenfield's site and podcast? He is a better resource for this kind of thing.

• Try Collagen Protein. It's a miracle worker for recovery.

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

Have you looked at Ben Greenfield's site and podcast? He is a better resource for this kind of thing.

Second that

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• yeah I've been following ben greenfield for ages, thats how i got on to u can, ketosis and then to bullet-proof. 

wondering what everyone on the forums real life trails have been like

have just ordered collagen to try, thanks

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

One thing you haven't mentioned and comes to my mind is SLEEP and HRV (good indicator of recovery), or at least check resting heart rate in the morning.

• I track my sleep with the sleep cycle app every night, which has been getting worse and worse lately and i'm waking up more tired and less motivated than usual atm. i do also use the sweet beat app, i try to do this daily but the strap is very on and off and when i wake up needing to go to the bathroom that screws up my measurement as my baseline is before i get up.

im assuming my sleeps going down hill from a bit of functional overtraining. I've tried melatonin but i always wake tired after using it, sure knocks me out though ;)

anything else i should try?

• The past few nights I finished eating around 8pm, took 1 upgraded charcoal capsule immediately before bed around 10:15pm. (only water/no other food or supplements after 8pm). According to my Jawbone UP app, last night I had the most sound sleep ever.

Maybe a charcoal before bed?

I track my sleep with the sleep cycle app every night, which has been getting worse and worse lately and i'm waking up more tired and less motivated than usual atm. i do also use the sweet beat app, i try to do this daily but the strap is very on and off and when i wake up needing to go to the bathroom that screws up my measurement as my baseline is before i get up.

im assuming my sleeps going down hill from a bit of functional overtraining. I've tried melatonin but i always wake tired after using it, sure knocks me out though ;)

anything else i should try?

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Melatonin messes up with sex hormones on the long term. I wouldn't take it, I'd rather avoid blue light in the evenings / night, from few hours before sleep time. You mentioned magnesium, I suppose you take it in the evenings but if you don't, move it to the evenings. I don't think you mentioned vitamin B's. Relaxation, meditation could help. Sorry this is all I know about endurance. How do you feel after your cheat meal?

• how does the charcoal help you sleep?

yeah i take magnesium before bed, but i don't take any extra vitamin b's. worth a shot i'll look into.

after my cheat meal I feel pretty lousy. usually later in the day and the following day. but it's like a willpower thing after it i do feel happy to eat clean and right with no urges for crap for the rest of the week, but yeah i does make me sluggish, foggy and sometimes moody.

thanks for the help too. friends and family think all my eating and training is weird so it good knowing theres actually others.