Long Time Lurker. First Time Brain Hacker

Brain Hacking Legends,

I've lurked around the forums and Dave's websites for a while and feel that I have enough general information to about nootropics to be dangerous and now I'm looking for some specific guidance.

My diet is basically low carb, high fat.  I exercise regularly and I probably sleep about 5-6 hours per night.  I am trying to improve my focus and cognitive function so this week I started with CILTEP and have been having it with coffee and brain octane. I wouldn't say that I have noticed a significant improvement but I definitely don't feel drowsy in the afternoon like I used to on occasion.  My focus is still not as good as it could be/has been when I was younger, but I work across a few sites and there is a fair bit of distraction at two of them.

I ordered some piracetam, which arrived today and I plan to add to my current stack tomorrow.  I basically plan to run with that for a week and see how that goes. A lot of my research says choline is worth a look as a next step, are there any other suggestions I could look at?

What I am hoping to achieve is sharper and longer concentration and mental performance.  I also want to try and turn off some of the self doubt so I can kick more ass, but not sure that nootropics will necessarily help with that...any thoughts or examples of things that have worked for you that I might further research and consider?

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, Gimp563!

Just a quick tip...if you don't get a lot of response to your question, you might try searching the "brain-hacking" section of the forum (where you posted): http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/forum/4-brain-hacking/
    Often times, you will find that your question has been answered already and that there are extensive related threads on your topics. Also some members set themselves up to follow such threads and you may also get a quicker response posting to an existing thread.

And don't hesitate to let the moderators know if you need assistance.

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    check out http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1318-bulletproof-supplements-nootropics-guide/ if you haven't yet... a lot of info to sift through there.

i've ben using ciltep for several months now - my physical response to it is very subtle, but it has had a measurable effect on my memory and focus. i like to combine it with caffeine and creatine throughout the day, and occasionally alpha brain when i need extra concentration. haven't moved into the racetams yet, but plan to soon.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• Hi Chris,

Welcome to BP Exec! The first step for deciding nootropics is determining your goal. You say:

"What I am hoping to achieve is sharper and longer concentration and mental performance.  I also want to try and turn off some of the self doubt so I can kick more ass, but not sure that nootropics will necessarily help with that...any thoughts or examples of things that have worked for you that I might further research and consider?"

======

You have definitely gone to the right place if you want sharper and longer concentration. Coffee (caffeine) and healthy fats (preferably on an empty stomach) are great and CILTEP is an excellent choice as well.

A few things I would explore are:

- Micronutrients - sometimes going straight to nootropics isn't always the best first step. Are you getting enough magnesium, zinc, etc? If you are eating BP, my assumption would be "yes" to most. May want to optimize nonetheless.

- Aniracetam / oxiracetam tend to be a little more potent than piracetam. If you find that the piracetam does not give you the focus / mental energy you are looking for, you can substitute for these other analogues. Note: piracetam and oxiracetam anecdotally pair well with CILTEP, but aniracetam does NOT.

- CDP choline alone has been shown to improve mental focus / energy in ADD patients so there is no doubt it would be a useful part of your stack.

About the self doubt: That is never going to go away completely. It's an internal struggle that requires reflection. For that, I suggest meditation as there are no nootropics ( no legal nootropics, anyway...) on this beautiful planet that will help :) 

• Thanks for the replies guys and the pointers.

The CILTEP and Piracetam is going well. I have been thinking I definitely need more magnesium as I do a fair bit of running.

Based on my reading I think I am going to try a CILTEP/Magnesium/Oxyracetam/Choline stack next and compare notes.