Vegetarian Bulletproof Meals

Hey guys,

I need some help. My girlfriend is vegetarian and try as I might, I've been unable to persuade her to eat even the most consciously raised and cared for meats. 

Are there any fellow veggies out there that are bulletproof, and if so, what are some staple meals that are your go-to's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

Are there any fellow veggies out there that are bulletproof, and if so, what are some staple meals that are your go-to's?

---

Me, but I don't think I can call myself bulletproof, because not eating meat isn't optimal. So as bulletproof as possible. I started spitting out meat when I was two, against my parents wishes, and can't bring myself to put dead things in my mouth, despite knowing they're healthy and ethical. 

I do take krill oil (any brand that uses Neptune) and fermented cod liver oil (Green Pasture capsules) for EPA/DHA, vitamin A in the form of retinol, and a bit of extra K2. Plus all the usual supplements for veggies - b12/folinic, D3, selenium, copper, zinc, and more. 

Does she eat fish? I don't, but if she does, great, have more, and krill oil and cod liver oil shouldn't be a problem. If no, I'd focus your persuasive efforts on krill oil. They're the lowest option on the food chain to get vital epa/dha fats – the ones that allowed our ancestors to develop human brains. 

Fats can be added in the form of MCTs and GF butter/ghee, and avocado, and obviously veggies are easy. Cook in butter/ghee. The problem is protein, and that pretty much forces you to go a little further down on the BP diet infographic. 

My most go-to meal is an organic egg/egg white/veggie scramble. Scrambled lightly, no browning. A frittata could work too, but that's less BP since the yolks are guaranteed to get a bit overcooked. Packaged egg whites aren't ideal, but required if she's worried about eating huge amounts of yolks due to misguided cholesterol and fat assumptions. I also add hemp protein to veggie shakes, but hemp has more omega 6 than is ideal, so I'd avoid it if I didn't take plenty of krill oil. Whey protein if tolerated, otherwise plant proteins. After that you've got to go to dairy if tolerated: cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Add eggs wherever possible. I avoid soy like the plague. 

So really protein is less about "meals" and more about one egg meal a day (35g protein is pretty doable,) plus sort of supplementing other meals, or in between meals, with the protein sources that are as green as possible. Luckily I handle lactose well. Even a half cup of cottage cheese is 30g protein, so you can get moderate amounts of protein from fairly whole foods before resorting to powders for the rest. 

If she's never had a high protein day, it might be really motivating. When I first decided to get my diet in order, I realized I was probably eating 30-40g protein in a normal day - way low for a guy. The first day I got 80+g I could barely sleep I had so much energy, but still felt like a rockstar the next day. Veggies might not listen about meat, but should listen about macronutrient ratios.

• Thanks for this post! I've gone off of being a vegetarian to go bulletproof but still don't particularly like eating meat. I hadn't considered cottage cheese (which I remember liking when I was a kid) or _daily_ egg meals for some reason.  :)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Thanks for this post! I've gone off of being a vegetarian to go bulletproof but still don't particularly like eating meat. I hadn't considered cottage cheese (which I remember liking when I was a kid) or _daily_ egg meals for some reason.   :)

---

Glad it gave you some ideas. Just be careful, because cheese is very low on the BP diet infographic, yogurt from raw milk is in the middle. Not sure if cottage cheese is maybe closer to yogurt, but neither are green. That said, Dave has said that if you tolerate cheese, it's not so bad. However the more organic you go, the more expensive cottage cheese gets. I love Organic Valley's lower fat (blue package) cottage cheese because it tastes better than the full fat, but it's $4.50 for 60g protein. 

We are definitely designed to eat meat, keep it up if you can. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Also, 4 whole eggs later at night might boost your testosterone a bit, since you produce more at night and it's made out of cholesterol. This is noticeable and fun if combined with doses of retinol (animal-based vitamin A) selenium, K2, and E. 

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited June 2014

I have two personalities... the BP/paleo/hunter guy and the vegan. They duke it out quite a bit, but have learned to compromise quite well and both have grown because of it.

One of the things that works for the vegan is a ground beef substitute you can make from cauliflower, stock, nuts and MCT (or butter).

Simply "rice" the caulflower in a food processor to the size of crumbly ground beef. Cook it in a pan with a little stock or veggie broth and whatever seasonings you want depending on what you're going to use it for. After it has softened, add the chopped nuts at the end so as not to cook them and finish with some MCT. I usually use walnuts just because that's what is on-hand - they're mainly for texture and protein so any nuts you like will work.

Put in a taco salad, a sauce over a spaghetti squash, mixed with other chopped veggies, in a "sausage gravy" over sweet potatoes, etc.

Garbanzos and other beans are another choice - just not "as green" as the animal products - but still much better than Quorn, Bocca, Field Roast, etc.

Although tofu, tempeh and other "whole soy" products (not TSP and curls) are orange and red on the chart, they are still better than the gluten-and-MSG-based meat replacements.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• A meal that I like is a poached egg (or two) over some quickly steamed or blanched greens like kale or brussel sprouts with an avocado and plenty of butter.

Big salads with hemp seeds or other bulletproof nuts (almonds cashews hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans), avocado, olives, and whatever veggies you like in a salad.

Bulletproof Ice Cream! Dude, there's no meat in it. You can also make it as a milkshake, you just add plenty of ice and blend it, and don't bother with the ice cream maker part.

veggie stir fry (you can have some white rice with it if it's evening)

Check out raw foodist stuff, a lot of it is bulletproof, just not if that's all you're eating.