Daily Pink Himalayan Salt In The Am And Collagen (Which Has A Small Amount Of Sodium)

I've been taking 1/2 tsp himalayan salt (in 8 oz water) in the morning. I'v also been adding 30 g of collagen to my coffee. The collagen also has a small amount of sodium (about 12% daily value based on amount I take).  

i also take thyroid (Nature Throid) and adrenal support (Thorne Adrenal Cortrex which has whole adrenal gland so I'm assuming also mineralocorticoid).  

Energy wise I feel somewhat better but I am just retaining too much water.  I don't have any pitting edema or any cardiac issues and am otherwise healthy.  

I'm female and I work a lot of nights so need the extra support.  

I'm just wondering if anyone had this experience and it resolved.  I'm trying to figure out if maybe my body will adjust or I should just forget about.

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

Here is my personal experience and my recipe based on bulletproof podcast, wikipedia and feedback of my dietitians:

600ml Water

About half a teaspoon DEAD SEA SALT (contains 50% magnesium)

just very little tip of a spoon Baking powder (havent found a better alternative yet and am open for suggestions)

Half a lemon juice

calcium 500mg but I'm very tall and need lots of that... so be carfull with these racios.

Vitamin D

Vitamin K

ginger

cayenne pepper

zinamon

stevia to taste

To me this has become part of breakfast along with bulletproof coffee.

EDIT: the pure salt is probably making your body contain too much water. do some experimenting with salt. Not everyone can tolerate as much salt as Dave Asprey....

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    Dave weighs around 200 lbs and is 6'4ish. You may want to try reducing to 1/4 tsp.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Himalayan salt isn't "pure salt" as in NaCl, it has over 80 minerals included. Though probably not 50% Magnesium.
    edited April 2014

Yea I made my own experiments with salt. When I had 1 tsp of dead sea salt in the morning it made me feel very sick and I had to lay down. Wikipedia says it contains 50% magnesium it became obvious for me that I got an overdose. I am currently hacking my blood pressure and I realized I'm sensitive to caffeine.... magnesiums helps with that as well... right now I'm taking antibiotics which are messing with my body and blood pressure. So I have to wait until I can digg a little bit deeper into my personal salt sensitivites.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks for the replies.  Anyone else?

• GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014
    I do ~1/2 or 2/3 tsp of Himalayan sea salt in 1L of water, first thing in the morning. In fact, thats what i'm doing right now!

I feel way better when doing Hima sea salt in the morning :-) But if I use more than 1 tsp, even after drinking salt water in the morning all the way since Nov of last year, will trigger an upset'ish stomach for me.

DMan:http://healthy-lifestyle-trainer.com/2013/08/sea-salt-myth/ The amount of magnesium in 1 tsp of sea salt is not significant enough to give you a Mg overdose. Also, when starting off, i'd recommend using 1/4th to 1/2 tsp Hima Sea Salt in 1L of water. Not 1 tsp :-)

By the way, DMan.. http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-healthy-salt-recommendations Chris Kresser recommends NOT NOT NOT eating Dead Sea Salt. Use Himalayan Sea Salt for consumption, not DSS.
  • How much salt do most women take in the AM?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I take 1-2 teaspoons but sorry I doubt I can help much because think this is highly individual (most people would spend their day sitting on the toilet from this amount).

How do you feel that it makes you retain water? Does it make you swell?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Yes.  I swell a lot!

• genao87genao87 ✭✭
    edited August 2014

but what is your goal?  just to have more energy to work at nights without the bloat?    i do daily green juices,  following  Drew Canole,   and also wear compression socks.   The compression socks help the body by moving blood faster across it all over.    I also planning to take Magnesium Malate to help with energy levels.

• i don't really measure the amount of salt anymore, i just eyeball it, but i'd say anywhere between a quarter to a half teaspoon of "Real Salt" in the morning with iodine and freshly squeezed lime juice, sometimes some l-glutamine powder.  i don't notice any bloat from this.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yes compression clothing may help with it.

I do ~1/2 or 2/3 tsp of Himalayan sea salt in 1L of water, first thing in the morning. In fact, thats what i'm doing right now!

I feel way better when doing Hima sea salt in the morning :smile: But if I use more than 1 tsp, even after drinking salt water in the morning all the way since Nov of last year, will trigger an upset'ish stomach for me.

DMan:http://healthy-lifestyle-trainer.com/2013/08/sea-salt-myth/ The amount of magnesium in 1 tsp of sea salt is not significant enough to give you a Mg overdose. Also, when starting off, i'd recommend using 1/4th to 1/2 tsp Hima Sea Salt in 1L of water. Not 1 tsp :smile:

By the way, DMan.. http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-healthy-salt-recommendations Chris Kresser recommends NOT NOT NOT eating Dead Sea Salt. Use Himalayan Sea Salt for consumption, not DSS.

Hey, thanks for the links.

However there is a difference between the magnesium content in dead sea salt and sea salt. Wikipedia says it contains 50% magnesium. My doc thinks it's good as well. When I bought pure magnesium chloride  at the pharmacy I was instructed to be very carefuly and the person became much more relaxed when I told her that I will take it transdermaly.... A friends father who got a heart transplant now takes it too.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_salt#cite_note-antimicrobial-2

I also had a look at the study about bromide toxicity and unfortunately that was only a paper about ONE patient who had this problem...

I guess the bromide has been filtered out or one couldn't buy it in stores here in GER.  I will definetly take a closer look into that. If that's a problem I would buy magnesium chloride again.

How much to eat:

• 1/8th tsp makes everything shaky and quaky for me. Damn woman!!  You've got a stomach of steel!!

I take 1-2 teaspoons but sorry I doubt I can help much because think this is highly individual (most people would spend their day sitting on the toilet from this amount).

How do you feel that it makes you retain water? Does it make you swell?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

1/8th tsp makes everything shaky and quaky for me. Damn woman!!  You've got a stomach of steel!!

Yes. Unfortunately magnesium citrate shakes steel. No diarrhea but uncomfortable.

• what about Epsom Sea Salt,   how much magnesium Sulfate does it contain?   

i accidently took like 5 teaspoons worth of Magnesium Citrate accidently....i just coulndt just through it away and drank it in 2 hours time...suprisingly i was able to handle it. 

before it sent to the bathroom....i wonder what happen.