Allergic To Coconut Oil

Hey guys, I have a lot of food allergies, so I eat very clean. Once I started using more MCT and coconut oil I started having a reaction, and when I took those out, fine again, so boo! Would it even make sense to just use the butter for the BCP? Or has anyone tried another oil instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I doubt any other oils would be worth it and if they are would probably have the same effect. Have you tired the brain octane stuff?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• What kind of reaction? How much MCT did you use? Everyone is sensitive to MCT so don't use to much. 

You are probably not allergic (allergic is not the same as sensitive from a medical perspective) to MCT oil since fat is too small molecule to cause an allergic reaction. At least not if it is pure MCT. I would try coconut oil without MCT. Coconut oil is much more difficult to overdose. 

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Hey guys, I have a lot of food allergies, so I eat very clean. Once I started using more MCT and coconut oil I started having a reaction, and when I took those out, fine again, so boo! Would it even make sense to just use the butter for the BCP? Or has anyone tried another oil instead?

Thanks!

Could be a herx reaction as opposed to an allergy. That might explain the large amount of allergies you are reporting as well. Could be completely wrong, but something to look into.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

•  

Could be a herx reaction as opposed to an allergy. That might explain the large amount of allergies you are reporting as well. Could be completely wrong, but something to look into.

I agree with the above, it's something worth considering.  I was horribly sensitive to coconut oil & Brain Octane (which is capryllic acid and attacks Candida) was no better.  MCT oil was strangely ok as long as it was moderate doses.

I had candida, SIBO and probably also leaky gut.   I kept upping my dose of coconut oil until I got over my candida - the SIBO, leaky gut were different protocols to overcome.

Good luck and definitely look into it - allergies are often due to leaky gut.  

If you repair your digestion you will have a new lease on life - it's amazing.

--

Michael Stone

• Thanks all!! I'm about to see an allergist tomorrow, but I actually was diagnosed with leaky gut by a functional medicine doctor about 1.5 years ago, and have been trying to heal, which is difficult with food allergies...............ughhh - one big vicious circle. I guess I hadn't considered the herc reaction because I've been using coconut oil in a moderate amount for a long time, while having reactions to multiple other foods, and it's been pretty hellish trying to eliminate everything I react to. Maybe I'll try just using the mct oil for a few days without any additional coconut oil and see what happens. It's hard to know if it's a herc reaction because it's kind of hard to ride it out long enough to see. I have been so miserable for so long that the minute I suspect something doesn't agree with me, it's out, lol. I'm curious Mike - how did you overcome the leaky gut?? Before I realized I am sensitive to histamine, I had been trying to do fermented foods, which caused more issues. Pretty much all I can eat is green veggies, any kind of meat or fish, grass fed butter, olive oil, and mayo. I would do cartwheels if I could heal myself and get rid of all these food allergies/intolerances!!

• A fairly good test to see if you are allergic is to apply MCT or Coconut (or whathever you want to test) on the skin. If that gives a rush or gets itchy you should for sure not eat that food. Then you are allergic. If the test is negative you cannot be 100% sure you are not allergic but it sill is a good test to do. If you don't have leaky gut, candida or something else that interfere with the food you usually can eat it if the skin test is negative. 

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014

You may want to invest into John Brisson's book "Fix your Gut", which is all about healing your gut :) Others have highly recommended it, and the author is actively on the forum (and knows a lot about gut health).

Also, how much MCT Oil were you taking? As well as how much Coconut oil? And what types of reactions were you having when taking MCT Oil and Coconut oil?

• Thanks Garrett, I'll look into that book. Reaction from the coconut oil was itchy skin all over and rash only on my face. I was probably taking about 4-5 Tbsp per day. I had made these awesome little bites that were made of cocoa, coconut oil, Bobs Red Mill raw coconut, vanilla, and 1 Tbsp real maple syrup They were kept in the freezer and made an awesome little treat. They were also getting me deeper into ketosis due to getting more fat in - but that's when I started having a reaction. I have had the other ingredients without a problem.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

is there any way this could be keto rash and not due to the coconut oil?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.