Blending Hot Bulletproof Coffee In Nutribullet (Plastic Leaching Chemicals)

Generally it is bad to put anything hot in plastic and even thought the hot coffee blends for a few seconds, I'm still very worried about it leaching chemical from the plastic.

Has Dave mentioned this before?  Thanks.

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2014

I don't think he's addressed that specifically, but he's said Blendtec is good, and that has a BPA-free plastic jug. That's what I use, and the coffee is staining the jug, which would suggest I'm having a problem with coffee getting in my plastic, not the other way around. 

I think you're OK, because the Nutribullet FAQ says the jugs are BPA and phthalate-free, here. You will probably stain the jug eventually though, like me, so if you care about that use the same jug for coffee and keep the rest for your silly "nutriblasts." Sorry, couldn't resist. 

EDIT: yes, glass would probably be slightly better, but we've dodged the main issues with plastics. 

• StinkoStinko
    edited April 2014

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

I avoid all plastic as much as possible. 

BPA-free is a marketing ploy. They all still contain estrogen mimickers, and other nasty crap.  

In fact, the main ingredient in these "BPA-free" blenders plastic, TPP (triphenyl phosphate) , is even MORE estrogenic than BPA.

There is no such thing as inert plastic.

My cheaper than dirt Oster blender, thankfully, has glass. 

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp
    edited April 2014

I used to use an Oster blender, but had issues with the rubber seal. It seamed to taint the taste of my coffee, and eventually the seal started leaking.

I now use a wide mouth mason jar with this stainless steel immersion blender. No possibility of a broken seal, and no weird taste to my coffee.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• StinkoStinko
    edited April 2014

Interesting.....no leaks so far, and I haven't noticed any off-taste so far. 

That immersion method should work great, and also cheap.

If you're looking for a high performance blender that's not plastic I'd recommend:

The DynaBlend

Or for some extreme HP, better than even a VitaMix:

This Waring 1200

It comes with plastic, but you can buy Warings stainlass steel carafe for it

expesive, but it also fits on a VitaMix 5200

There are also some other cheaper stainless steel blenders

• Thanks for this discussion. I've been searching for the best answer to the same dilemma.

I have an Omniblend which is made by JTC. It's a cheaper version of a Vitamix (probably not as good at half the price). Both the Omniblend and the Vitamix have a Eastman Tritan copolyester BPA free container.

After about 12 months of making BPC I can see that my Tritan copolyester container is showing signs of wear, like hairline fractures in some areas, and I can't help but wonder what amount of plastic is leaking into my BPC each time a brew is blended, and what that plastic is doing to my physiology.

I went to several stores to look at immersion blenders. Plenty had a stainless steel wands but none had zero plastic or rubber in the wand - always there was some in the recess where the blades sit. Maybe there's other models out there that have zero plastic, but none at my local stores.

After considering all the options and trade-offs (cost, taste, early morning noise, health) I've concluded that personally the best option is to put all BPC ingredients into a Klean Kanteen (100% stainless steel interior) and shake vigorously. Apparently this doesn't emulsify the fats as well as blending, but it does bypass the near-boiling-water beating against plastic at high speed. My manual BPC shake tastes reasonably close to as good as blended BPC, and personally I think the trade-off is worth the risk reduction.

At this point I'm not convinced that BPA free plastic means it's not bad for me/us. Some respected health folks are speculating that the newer BPA free plastics are as bad or worse that the BPA plastics. Searching around the Internet a bit it looks like Eastman have locked legal horns with another company claiming that the Tritan copolyester causes EA (estrogenic activity - when synthetic chemicals behave like estrogen in the body). It's hard to find the truth in the Eastman / CertiChem / PlastiPure legal issues, so until it's conclusively proven that Tritan copolyester (or whatever plastic) is safe  I'll be erring on the side of caution.

Best regards, Closer.

• @ACH85 said:
    I don't think he's addressed that specifically, but he's said Blendtec is good, and that has a BPA-free plastic jug. That's what I use, and the coffee is staining the jug, which would suggest I'm having a problem with coffee getting in my plastic, not the other way around. 

I think you're OK, because the Nutribullet FAQ says the jugs are BPA and phthalate-free, here. You will probably stain the jug eventually though, like me, so if you care about that use the same jug for coffee and keep the rest for your silly "nutriblasts." Sorry, couldn't resist. 

EDIT: yes, glass would probably be slightly better, but we've dodged the main issues with plastics. 

"the coffee is staining the jug" - my solution for cleaning the plastic jug - when the jug is empty put about an inch of water and a few drops of detergent in the jug - put the lid on and run it in the nutribullet for 5 secs - the jug is crystal clear and filled with soapy foam.

• Shop www.moschinoonlinesale.com Moschino Outlet Store, Buy Moschino Barbie Sweaterset Black with Big Discount, Fast Delivery and Free Worldwide Shipping...
    http://www.moschinoonlinesale.com/moschino-barbie-sweaterset-black.html