Elevated Levels Of Glutamic And Quinolinic Acid - Please Help!

I recently had a NutrEval test (Genova) done which showed that I had elevated levels of both of these known neurotoxins. I'm pretty concerned as both of these seem to indicate brain inflammation, neuroexcitation and thus possible neurodegeneration.  Wondering if anyone is familiar with this test and can suggest what might help decrease the levels of these in the brain. 

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Off the top of my head:

1. Drink coffee everyday but make sure you get the oils by using a metal filter

2. Go to pubmed and research how Piracetam can reverse mitochondrial damage, and whether or not these neurotoxins are related

3. Go to Longecity and check out TULIP - which is mainly using COQ10 and PQQ (plus lasers if you want) to produce new mitochondria

4. Check out Upgraded Aging Formula - it supposedly can reduce excess glutamate levels in the brain

• Does anyone know if taking L-Glutamine (for example, to heal your gut lining) can contribute to increased levels of Glutamic Acid?

• No - Glutamine is a precursor for GABA, not Glutamate

Does anyone know if taking L-Glutamine (for example, to heal your gut lining) can contribute to increased levels of Glutamic Acid?

• edited April 2014

pizzabagel (ha! love it):

The short answer to your question: L-Glutamine is safe.

The long answer to your question involves a lesson in Organic Chemistry:

Help differentiating AA supplements:
    L- food based/naturally occurring

D- synthetic/lab/bacterial cell wall generated or derived

(for the record, this doesn't hold in other areas, for instance D- sugars tend to occur naturally - go figure)

Most all aminos, naturally occuring and synthetic are available in 'L-'/'D-' or 'S-'/'R-' conformations with the exception of

glycine and proline. Glycine the simple simon of the aminos, with two hydrogens attached to the central carbon.

For the sake of brevity I'll discuss 'L-'/'D-' only here:

*Think of L- rotation as analogous to left-handed orientation (S-)

*Think of D- rotation as analogous right-handed orientation (R-)

->When facing each other they are mirror images (enantiomers

The way you are taught to visualize it in Organic Chemistry is to think of your left and right hands as mirror images of one another.

Think of each hand as it's own unique structure (known as an isomer when putting chemical structures into perspective)

Try to put one hand on top of the other and you will see they are not the same 'structure' because you cannot superimpose one hand over the other, thus they are enantiomers (aka stereroisomers).

For some reason nature favors left-handed orientations.

We technically evolved to recognize left-handed/food based/food derived orientations (over simplified here).

Right-handed orientations when entering the body will fit the substrate/enzyme the way the left-handed orientation will, but the body

recognizes that something is wrong as the build is actually the mirror image and fitting flip-sided (or backward depending on how you view it) into the substrate.

It's thought that this is why we can't account for the myriad odd side-effects that come along with synthetic pharmaceuticals as we didn't

have thousands of years of evolution (if you believe in evolution) to 'learn' how to effectively breakdown/utilize/neutralize/excrete these backward orientations that essentally were patterned off of something found in nature.

You can't patent the naturally occuring chemical constituent, so you study it, build a backward mirror image and voila! patent the sucker.

It's usually the D- orientations that cause wicked problems. They are usually isolated, free form, backward and thus the body doesn't exactly know how to process it which can lead to toxicity or unknown side-effects.

L- amino acids are bound to that specific protein; thus L-Glutamic Acid found in protein is bound to the protein Glutamic Acid.

D- form are usually isolates and thus are free form. If you just see 'free form' on the supplement label then you know it's D-.

D-Glutamic Acid for example is better known as MSG. It may also be why MSG reportedly causes so many sensitivities and reactions when people repeatedly ingest foods containing it.

To clarify, yes I know you are talking L-Glutamine and not L-Glutamic Acid. L-Glutamic vs its doppelganger MSG is just easier to illustrate why orientation is so important.

Hope this makes sense, I am striving for brevity. O Chem didn't evolve to be simplified.

• Eilee66:

Regarding your elevated levels and looking for ways to reduce them perhaps it would be wise to try to discern why they are elevated.

*Did you change anything in your diet recently?

*Are there certain foods you tend to favor and ingest repeatedly? If so what are they....

*Do you eat out frequently or eat at a certain spot with regularity? What type of food do you eat there?

*Do you take certain supplements or scripts with regularity? If so what are they....

*Is it possible that you had a small stroke? (These can happen without the victim knowing it - certain prescription and recreation drugs can increase your chances of having one, even if you are young)

*Have you experienced recent head trauma?

• @GeminiDream:

Awesome explanation, thank you!

Does this mean that L-Glutamine (or glutamic acid) could be used as a food additive instead of D-Glutamic Acid (MSG)?

• No head trauma, or anything much that's been mentioned. I do take prescription drugs regularly for sleep though - Klonipon and neurontin ( helps keep one asleep when they wake for menopause related isses.)

Do you think either of those could be related?