Sleep Profiler - Available To Bulletproof Forum Members

Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Sleep Hacking

If you are like me, you have turned up your nose at some of the sleep monitoring devices and miss your Zeo.  Remember this thread:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2757-zeo-out-of-business/page-2

The Sleep Profiler is much more accurate than the Zeo, has actually been clinically tested, and provides over 40 unique measurements.  Up until this point, the Sleep Profiler has only been available for medical use, but with your help, this might change.

I have just been contacted by Eric Trautt from Advanced Brain Monitoring and he is telling me that they are considering letting some of the members from the Bulletproof forums use the Sleep Profiler with a referral from their CMO, Dr. Phillip Westbrook.  This could be cool!

http://advancedbrainmonitoring.com/sleep-profiler/

He wanted me to put up this poll and try and set a price point so that they could see if it would be viable.  Please vote for a price point in the poll above so that we can finally start doing some real sleep quantification again!

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for your post, Jason.  Won't this data be provided by the NeuroOn that is about to hit the market?

• The company offers a two day trial to compare the their clinical grade Sleep Profiler with your current sleep hacking device.  You could compare the two and see which is superior.  There are other devices, like Sleep Cycle, Beddit, Fitbit, and so on, that also use motion sensors over EEG and it will be good to finally see how accurate they are.  My guess is, not very.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Thanks Jason,

I'm very interested since I can't get any readings off my Zeo at this point, even with the Woolite trick, but need to do a deep dive on their site before I can offer my price point. It's certainly not as consumer-friendly as the Zeo marketing material was, which is why I need to look into it more, but that's probably a good sign that the company focuses on the product and quality of data over marketing. Their videos will certainly help me fall asleep though...  :roll:

I'm with you though, I have no interest in motion-based sleep tracking.

• Okay, so I just heard back from Eric.  The company is offering a "non-medical" evaluation of your sleep and use of the device for two nights.  The price point will be for the use and analysis of two sessions.  I have updated the poll to include other price points.  Feel free to change your vote given the new information.

• The company offers a two day trial to compare the their clinical grade Sleep Profiler with your current sleep hacking device.  You could compare the two and see which is superior.  There are other devices, like Sleep Cycle, Beddit, Fitbit, and so on, that also use motion sensors over EEG and it will be good to finally see how accurate they are.  My guess is, not very.

If they offer a free trial to compare with the NeuroOn once it launches, then -- if you can wear both simultaneously -- this is a no-brainer at the right price point (for those of us who would favor redundancy over inaccurate data).  If you pre-ordered, then I think you could get a NeuroOn for ~ $250, but it has additional functionality, so maybe $200 for the Sleep Profiler?  OTOH, if the NeuroOn delivers as promised, then they are probably going to trade hands on the secondary market for a lot more money until regular sales come online in 2015, so maybe that would justify a higher price for the Sleep Profiler?

To your other point: I agree and think we are ultimately going to think of Sleep Cycle and the rest as embarrassingly primitive and unreliable, misleading tools.  But we had to start somewhere, right?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Delayed, but finished taking a close look at this. And... I don't think I should vote, because I'm on a Mac and from what I can tell in their videos it's Windows-only. My pricepoint to only get two nights of data is probably $100, maybe $200, and adding Windows to my computer would be another $150. 

This raises an important point about these types of devices. It seems like Advanced Brain Monitoring is thinking of this product from the medical standpoint (even in this potential consumer trial) where a few nights' use is enough to determine baseline sleep. Whereas I think most of us are more interested in using this technology over time to evaluate changing exercise and/or supplement regimens, changes in bed time, wake time, or sleep environment, jet lag monitoring, "earthing," etc. 

I believe Zeo's downfall was being too focussed on the average consumer, priced accordingly, and made with a compact user-friendly design which presumably added manufacturing cost. At ~$100, Zeo was never going to sell enough units to be profitable. However, a lot of us biohackers would have paid 5 times that price and been fine with wires dangling all over and a crappy user interface. 

If you have a contact at Advanced Brain Monitoring, maybe they'd consider selling a kit that us biohackers could wire together ourselves? If they essentially sold a chip and access to their online portal, they'd remove the cost of manufacturing headbands, and perhaps more importantly avoid the liability that comes with a product containing a battery that you strap to your head and fall asleep with.