Itchy Bumps After Coffee?

Hi there,

I recently went off coffee and butter for 20 days because I tested positive for H Pylori infection and just wanted to see if the fat and coffee could have been aggravating it by eliminating them. In those 20 days of lowering my fat intake from the butter I got more cravings for sugar and carbs, no surprise there since I didn’t feel satiated after meals. I recently reintroduced butter and coffee and feel much fuller and happier.

The one thing I started to notice again that I had before is that I get these tiny bumps on the back of my arms and back that start itching, I am not sure if this is from the butter, coffee or something else? I understand the grass-fed butter doesn’t aggravate people with dairy intolerances as much, but can this be a sign that I am sensitive? I’ve had such good benefits from the Bulletproof coffee, I would hate to give it up.

Also anyone have experience with Dave’s Food Sense app, is it fairly accurate?

Comments

• Do a test on each of the items separately, and see how they react to your body. For 2 days, just do butter and water. Or just eat butter on its own. See if you get reactions. 2 days do just coffee. See if you get reactions. Same with MCT Oil on its own. :)

That's my best suggestion.

• edited April 2014

Do a test on each of the items separately, and see how they react to your body. For 2 days, just do butter and water. Or just eat butter on its own. See if you get reactions. 2 days do just coffee. See if you get reactions. Same with MCT Oil on its own. :)

That's my best suggestion.

Cool strategy, thank you!

Just a clarification, did you mean basically do a fast and eat just butter and nothing else?

• Yeah, I should've made that clear. I'd say do it in the morning when you'd normally do your coffee. When you get up, eat some butter. Give it a bit of time, see how you feel. Skip the coffee for that day. You should be able to find out pretty quickly if it's the butter causing the bumps. Just turn it into one of your 'cycle off coffee' days. Start the day with butter, see how you feel, then somewhat later, eat more food :) You could probably even turn it into a protein fast day, if you really wanted to.

Also, how quickly did the bumps show up after you drank the coffee? 

• Ok I see. I basically do the Bulletproof coffee as my breakfast, so in this case I'll maybe just have 2-3 tbs of butter upon waking and then use the Food Sense app to check my heart rate and monitor itchy bumps.

The bumps would show about 30 min after drinking it. I did drink Bulletproof coffee everyday for 3 months though with minor itchiness, but it wasn't enough to bother me. I think since I took 20 days of the Bulletproof coffee my body is all of a sudden reacting to the high amounts of fat/dairy.

• That could be. I've been following Dave's 4 or 5 days on, 3 or 2 days off protocol, with regards to coffee. Testing it out, plus giving my adrenals a rest. And cause its a good idea to eat food.

So yeah, it could also be your body telling you to temporarily cycle off.

And yep. Just have the same amt of butter that you'd have with the coffee, and see what your body says.
  • Oh very interesting Garrett, is there somewhere I can check where Dave talks about his protocol?

Also have you noticed or heard of itchy throat after drinking the coffee and more saliva buildup, I know it sounds gross but that is something I have been dealing with also.  

Thanks for your help!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I always feel the back of my throat after consuming larger amounts of fat, no idea why, not just from MCT or butter but all kind of fats I have experience with. I don't know why but it hasn't killed me yet so it's probably not dangerous, perhaps even normal. No idea for the saliva buildup.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• edited April 2014

I always feel the back of my throat after consuming larger amounts of fat, no idea why, not just from MCT or butter but all kind of fats I have experience with. I don't know why but it hasn't killed me yet so it's probably not dangerous, perhaps even normal. No idea for the saliva buildup.

Yeah it doesn't seem like a huge issue, but just curious as to what it could be. I find the itchiness varies with the quality of coffee I consume though.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

I'd be surprised if it was butter. 

• edited April 2014
    I isolated both the butter and MCT oil and tested them in a fasted state with the Food Sense app to track my heart rate, while studying my energy levels and body's appearance. I understand this might not be the most accurate method, but its fun and unconventional... just like everything else on this blog :) Here are my results...

Kerrygold Butter (2.5 tbs)
    1 min before meal: 66 bpm
    30 min after meal: 60 bpm
    60 min " ": 64 bpm
    90 min " ": 49 bpm
    PASSED

- Energy was good
    - I felt satiated
    - No itchy skin

MCT Oil (3 tbs)
    1 min before meal: 67 bpm
    30 min after meal: 72bpm
    60 min " ": 71bpm
    90 min " ": 79 bpm
    PASSED

- Energy was good, no fluctuation
    - I felt clear headed
    - No itchy skin

- Throat mildly itchy (i've heard that to be common)

I believe my next culprits from most, to least likely are coffee, coconut milk, eggs, almond butter or a cross reaction between several of these foods. I also haven't bought Upgraded beans for the past few years and always had good experience with those beans, so I could easily be drinking some toxic coffee that is causing the reactions. One other thing I noticed is that the bumps happen in the morning during/after I drink my Bulletproof coffee and at night where I have my dinner that includes meat, green veggies, coconut milk, butter, MCT oil, lettuce and almond butter. Thanks for reading, happy hacking people!