Bpc - I Must Be Doing It Wrong

Hi,

Just a quick question seeing as everyone seems to absolutely love the taste of BPC.

I love coffee, absolutely addicted. Yet when I make my BPC even just the smell makes me shudder and gives me a headache. And drinking it is difficult to say the least. Also I get the feeling of drinking straight oil.

Here's how I make it.

2 tbsp coffee grounds in french press, brewed for 4-6mins

25 - 50g grass fed butter

1 tbsp MCT

All blended to the frothy perfection it is meant to be.

I am going to attempt it made on ghee, but I am concerned that I may be one of the few who just can't drink it. Which is bad because as I said I am addicted to coffee.

Has anyone else had this issue? And if you have, how did you fix it?

Comments

• Coco Powder and/or Vanilla

I do both  :ugeek:

• http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/10273-my-daily-aeropress-bulletproof-coffee-recipe-is-amazing/?hl=aeropress

thats the method I use and it seems to be awesome. I can't think of a better way to have the coffee... 

I think using an aeropress instead of a french press is a good start.. and using a stainless steel filter in the aeropress, too... 

• Thanks for the replies. Currently saving up for an aeropress, nicked the french press from my parents house last week. I'll give your method a go Stackineuros to see if it works better. I'm going to be bouncing off the walls with 2 cups of bulletproof seeing as I've gone from 6 espresso's a day to 1 bulletproof a day :P

• Are you using the BP Beans? And how long have you been using MCT Oil? If it's not very long, it might be detox effects, and you may want to scale back to 1 tsp of MCT, instead of 1 TBSP. 

• Not using the BP beans, but using the best quality I can find. Been using MCT oil on and off for months in smoothies, but I'll trying scaling it back seeing as scaling back the butter didn't change a thing. Should be getting the BP beans in the next two weeks

• Awesome. And how does this particular coffee treat you when you brew it in the exact same way, sans butter and MCT?

Not using the BP beans, but using the best quality I can find. Been using MCT oil on and off for months in smoothies, but I'll trying scaling it back seeing as scaling back the butter didn't change a thing. Should be getting the BP beans in the next two weeks

• Tastes great, no jitters, no shakes, no nausea, just a nice caffeine buzz.

• Yeah, I'm totally feeling that dialing back on the MCT to 1 tsp, and working your way back up will help out :) 

Alternatively, you can also run the test of doing no coffee, but blending the butter and mct with hot water. See if that affects you. You could also just eat a plain tbsp of MCT straight off the spoon, and see what that does for you. So many fun combinations of tests to run! 

But yeah, my guess is too much MCT starting off.

• Butter and water? I think I just dry retched a bit :P At least its only a few things to test, unlike when I had to test for food allergies *headdesk*

• i only make it in two cups, cause hot water is so essential to a awesome BP cawfee experience.. 

You could chug it down in one big cup, but I add the hot water so it goes easily into two big cups and you can sip it for ages.. 

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    also make sure the butter you're using is unsalted

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Are you using the BP Beans? And how long have you been using MCT Oil? If it's not very long, it might be detox effects, and you may want to scale back to 1 tsp of MCT, instead of 1 TBSP. 

Detox effect.. makes the coffee taste bad.. ?  :shock:

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014
    Roxas: Headache and shuddering. Involuntary reactions from her body. It's a sign that something is going on. As well as a sign that it's something her body doesn't agree with.

Example, my morning 1 L of water with 1/2-1 tsp of Hima salt. If I can taste the saltiness in the water, my body goes into 'flush' mode a few hours later (or sooner).

There was the article of the woman who had bashed BPC, due to her nausea and headache (and other things), which we rapidly deduced was because she way overdid it with the MCT Oil, and her body was freaking out.

So yes, 'bad taste' can be a sign from your body that it's getting too much of something. Another example is if I'm eating certain foods, and 1 moment they taste great, the next moment.. ehh. And same with the next. It's often a sign that you've had enough of that food. And since the item in BPC which we know of that generally causes headache symptoms happens to be MCT Oil.. my deduction is that she's getting too much MCT oil, her body is reacting negatively (even when smelling it, since IT knows that something is off-balance for her body) and thus she outta scale it back to 1 tsp. :wink:

Amber: water and butter blended up isn't too bad. just don't make a lot of it :)

Detox effect.. makes the coffee taste bad.. ? :shock:

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

also make sure the butter you're using is unsalted

I've been using Kerry Gold with 2% salt since I started and actually prefer it :wink:

2438c963113e2359fbc888969f78e107.jpg

“Whether you take the doughnut hole as a blank space or as an entity unto itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit.” 
    ― Haruki MurakamiA Wild Sheep Chase

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• For some people, if they're really into coffee, BPC might not do it for them. At the end of the day, BPC isn't coffee in the same way that an espresso or a long black is coffee. It' a coffee-based drink, like a mocha frappacino. Albeit healthier and tastier imho.

There's no law that says you have to like it and if you don't there's something wrong with you. Maybe you can learn to like it. Maybe not. If not, too bad. Sounds like you were enjoying your coffee just fine in the first place!

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer