Accidental Digital Detox
Went camping for 5 days in a remote section of a national park here in Thailand (Bong Luk, Kaeng Krachan National Park, 2hours and 30km by 4x4 from park boundary) - there was no mobile phone reception, and no internet connection (there was a very weak wifi signal from one of the park rangers huts which had an Ipsat broadband connection, password not available not sure if there was any actual connection). No electricity except for a couple of hours by generator after sunset (the solar panel setup had broken). In 5 days there were only 4 other people staying at the camp site.
So ended up not looking at any screens (except iphone for music and podcasts), recharged the phone from car battery; and not getting any 'blue' artifical light (we used a gas lamp, and limited LED head torch).
Spent most days swimming in the rivers, walking, biking, foraging (wife is a bit of a local flora expert), sleeping, reading, collecting wood and assembling a sort of outdoor gym from rocks and fallen branches. Up at about 5, bed around 8-9pm.
1. Don't need reading glasses anymore when using my contact lenses for computer work ( lens prescription -3.00 each eye, uncorrected astimagtisms, use +1.00 reading glasses for computer since about a year ago).
2. Able to concentrate much more quickly and easily, much less easily distracted, less willpower required to produce focussed state
3. Generally calmer with more sustained energy during daylight hours
4. HRV more frequently up around 70 (before break used to vary 40-70 during the week)
5. Generally less leg twitching when sitting for long periods at desk
1. Now feel naturally very drowsy only a couple of hours after sunset - so difficult to get work done after 7pm....
2. Fantasies of packing in city life and being a park ranger
3. Almost stole the best rocks from my 'temporary jungle gym'
4. Wife's successful foraging for (edible) mushrooms has produced renewed unhealthy interest in non-nutritional effects of certain local mushrooms e.g. 'het khee kwai'
I think a lot of the benefical effects are due to avoiding the 'net, TV and other feed media + circadian rhythm reset + 'movnat' type exercise due to lack of chairs and tables (lots of squatting, kneeling, crawling etc.). No real differences in diet.
Going to repeat this quarterly or more frequently.....