Caffeine Breaks Anyone?

Does anyone take breaks from caffeine in order to give the adrenals a break?

I don't know too much about the connection between caffeine and the adrenals, so if you do -- please share.

I decided to take the day off and not take any caffeine, because I've had very little sleep, air travel, etc..

Do you think this is a good idea?  Is there any known reason to do this?

Comments

• I cycle off caffeine on the weekends (or take significantly lesser amounts). I figure that 4 or 5 days a week is ample time for GO, and the weekend can be more chill-out time.

• yeah i cycle coffee off for 3 days every 7 days, and cycle it off for 2 weeks every 2 months, just to not build tolerance

• funny coincidence, i'm on day 4 of no caffeine (except whatever is in chocolate) for the first time since going bulletproof. not because i felt like i needed a break, but have about one cup worth of beans left that I want to save for my weekly BBS workout day, and have been too low on funds to order more. surprisingly i'm not getting any withdrawal symptoms so far and haven't even felt a decrease in energy or focus really. i've been substituting with BP cacao tea...usually with vanilla, fresh ginger, stevia, ghee, cacao butter, and mct. i did finally order some coffee today though, hoping it will ship before i go on a road trip next weekend. 

• funny coincidence, i'm on day 4 of no caffeine (except whatever is in chocolate) for the first time since going bulletproof. not because i felt like i needed a break, but have about one cup worth of beans left that I want to save for my weekly BBS workout day, and have been too low on funds to order more. surprisingly i'm not getting any withdrawal symptoms so far and haven't even felt a decrease in energy or focus really. i've been substituting with BP cacao tea...usually with vanilla, fresh ginger, stevia, ghee, cacao butter, and mct. i did finally order some coffee today though, hoping it will ship before i go on a road trip next weekend. 

in my experience, caffeine withdrawals are preeeeeeetty bad.

hardcore depression, irritability, painful headaches, etc

I think the small amount in dark choco could keep you out of withdrawals.

• So, how addictive is caffeine?   I have been drinking a bit of BP coffee every day for a couple of months now.  I will definitely be cycling off now, thanks for the advice!

• GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014

I don't find caffeine to be addictive at all. That's also because I've redefined my views on addiction, and thus I do not find that caffeine qualifies, in my mind, as an addictive substance.

I also did 2'ish months off caffeine, with 0 issue, at the drop of a hat. Mostly as a test to see if I could (I could), and to see what would happen to my mind, and my productivity. 

Caffeine is generally only as addictive as you make it out to be :) And (from what I've personally found) if the rest of your nutrition is pretty spot on, caffeine is essentially just a boost. An addition. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Caffeine is generally only as addictive as you make it out to be :) And (from what I've personally found) if the rest of your nutrition is pretty spot on, caffeine is essentially just a boost. An addition. 

Absolutely. But I do think it can be a huge crutch for people that are on a constant blood sugar rollercoaster and using coffee (often sweetened) to even-out the lows. 

Those are the people who have horrible withdrawal when they quit coffee, but I think it's really sugar they are addicted to.

As I said in another thread, I take caffeine breaks once a day, starting right when I finish my last cup of coffee.  :cool:

• I do BP coffee in the morning to get me going and BP decaf green tea in the afternoon after work. Even without caffine the butter and Mct give me energy but the theanine in the tea also has a calming effect I like. I'm thinking of cycling off caffine for a couple days now that I read this. Thanks for the post!
  • Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

In terms of coffee, 6 weeks on, 2 weeks decaf, then repeat. That's what was recommended to me. Green tea and chocolate don't build up a tolerance that I'm aware of so no need to cycle.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• edited May 2014

Just for the sake of not becoming reliant and appreciating the taste and effects of coffee I believe it's a good idea to take a few days off it throughout the week, though I didn't notice any problems drinking it everyday for a few months either. 

• Interesting timing on this, as yesterday was the first day in over 8 months that I didn't start the day with BP coffee.

I got a slight headache in the afternoon, but don't know if that was because I waited too long between meals or because I didn't have any caffeine in my system. I did drink a little tea around 5:00 PM, and that seemed to help the headache.

I was back on BP coffee this morning.
  • GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014

Now that I have CILTEP, I'll probably be using BPC more frequently.

So this means that weekends are now BPC days!!!

• I have found that 1-2 days completely off every 2-3 weeks to be enough for me to reboot.

This usually means doing very little and taking 1-3 naps each of these days and sleeping in.

Lots of catch up sleep and lots of relax time and most importantly no guilt about doing nothing...ahhh...love those days.

That's just me, I like to either be go, or no go.

When I play, I play hard but when I rest, I rest even harder.

Coming off caffeine for longer periods when I am unable to have my naps, I have found that even half a cup of coffee will prevent me from getting headaches.

So day 1 I would start my day with a half cup of coffee.Day 2 and 3 would be tea.

Day 4 would be a shit load of water and maybe half a cup of tea.

Day 5 and on...smooth sailing from there.

Holy shit I'm awesome.

• edited April 2014

does anyone else use bp decaf?

i generally have an espresso before i train in the morning, the have bp de caf later i still get great clarity and energy

as for off caffeine every 3 weeks i take 5-7 days off all caffeine as i have a recovery training week

before an important race i take up to 2 weeks off, and the last few days off even decaf, dark choc and tea to get the most effect race day.

• I haven't tried decaf, no -- but that is an option.  I actually don't think I ever have had decaf in my life, even once.

The way I make coffee is pretty simple, and I only filter it through a basic strainer.  It is fairly unfiltered, and there are lots of little grinds in it.  Does that result in more caffeine being absorbed?  

How do you guys feel about unfiltered coffee?