Joe Rogan's March 25Th Video Bulletproof

Dale Tobias BruceDale Tobias Bruce Writer
edited April 2014 in Bulletproof Coffee

So..I was just recommended this video by Youtube and it made me second guess what's being said by Dave..Or is this just something Rogan is doing to get more views..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY4H3cNTH0

After spending 300 bucks on the Upgraded items..it makes me wonder..was it worth it or can I simply use the random crap in the supermarket? Mainly because..Shipping for me is 20 bucks for each item I buy through Upgraded self. I love Dave but...if what is being said here is true..it seems like it's a waste of money for me..Maybe I'm just wrong and being paranoid.

EDIT: That being said, I also figure..if it works..who cares? But I don't want to spend 300 every two months on something I can get at Tim Horton's if I add butter and MCT oil to it lol

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

Comments

• Find some locally roasted, high altitude, fully washed beans and you'll have pretty much the same stuff. It'll set you back around the same price per gram but you won't have to worry about the shipping.

MSc student. Health Nerd.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

THIS IS NEW AND INTERESTING INFORMATION.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Dear Lord...you have no idea what you've just done...

• Dear Lord...you have no idea what you've just done...

Oh...boy lol..I love Dave, don't get me wrong! It's just..this video annoys me

76819.jpg

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

There's a thread that's around 900 pages long about this, take a quick look. You only need to listen to the first thing she says about mycotoxins: "I don't know a whole lot about it."

Therefore, why should we listen to anything she has to say about them?

• I agree I drank only upgraded for one year then set out to experiment with different roasters. Some are as good some are much worse but the good stuff is all about the same price. I do enjoy the roasters thar have roasted date then try to consume the coffee within 2 weeks of that date. However, not all beans are equal. Upgraded bean are always good. But I like to change it up from time to time

• You guys gotta chill with the contemplation periods, holy cow haha. To summarize, Rogan hardly has the knowledge or experience to comment, he is a comedian and a fight commentator that was swooned by Dave and then swooned by someone that didn't agree with Dave (highly impressionable in my opinion), there is a bp podcast where Dave talks to a coffee guy and the mold issue is talked about (but probably not to the degree that critics desire). It is up to the consumer to perform due diligence with their purchases, buy several bags from different sources (including the upgraded) and perform tests to see how you react to them. Some people find no difference, some people find a positive difference, some people don't find a difference initially but then do later because of inconsistent product. Believe it or not, finding something "as good as upgraded" speaks volumes of the upgraded product anyway, because you can always use it as a litmus test for quality and consistency. I know in the time I've been here and having read every post on the board, no one has tried upgraded beans and had a bad reaction or symptoms of poor quality bean consumption, whatever that's worth.

Just a joke based on the (as someone else said above) roughly 900 pages of rogan/bp material on this forum. Not meant to be dramatic. Nice summary of the situation though.
  • Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

More selective science...I've had my share of skepticism about Asprey's topics but to listen to Keifer & company (whom I've never heard of so I can't say good nor bad about him--no preconceived notions!) and I've got some issues with what's said in these clips. He's advocating raw heavy cream. From a safety standpoint I have a hard time supporting taking that risk although coffee's heat could kill pathogens (if present) if the temp of the coffee stays above 160°F for 15 minutes before you even drink it. Right, like that happens in the average morning mug of joe. Keifer rails against butter because it separates into a bilayer. Huh? So what? And so does the coconut oil he later supports in the 2nd video. That's what a blender is for. Cream, especially raw, does too. Shake the carton before you pour it out, if it's a raw version or you're not gonna like what you see at the bottom. He rails against its flavor...really? Pretty sure that's a personal preference, so don't include that in your scientific knock-on-butter list. 

I guess I've seen enough good bio science to support the healthy use of MCT (particularly Brain Octane)...until I get something better than these videos or bloodwork suggesting I'm doing something wrong, I'll stick with my coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, & MCT/BO oil in my coffee. I'm not messing around with raw dairy...E coli kills...it's a risk I don't want to take.

• More selective science...I've had my share of skepticism about Asprey's topics but to listen to Keifer & company (whom I've never heard of so I can't say good nor bad about him--no preconceived notions!) and I've got some issues with what's said in these clips. He's advocating raw heavy cream. From a safety standpoint I have a hard time supporting taking that risk although coffee's heat could kill pathogens (if present) if the temp of the coffee stays above 160°F for 15 minutes before you even drink it. Right, like that happens in the average morning mug of joe. Keifer rails against butter because it separates into a bilayer. Huh? So what? And so does the coconut oil he later supports in the 2nd video. That's what a blender is for. Cream, especially raw, does too. Shake the carton before you pour it out, if it's a raw version or you're not gonna like what you see at the bottom. He rails against its flavor...really? Pretty sure that's a personal preference, so don't include that in your scientific knock-on-butter list. 

I guess I've seen enough good bio science to support the healthy use of MCT (particularly Brain Octane)...until I get something better than these videos or bloodwork suggesting I'm doing something wrong, I'll stick with my coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, & MCT/BO oil in my coffee. I'm not messing around with raw dairy...E coli kills...it's a risk I don't want to take.

Glad you mentioned Blood work. I just got my results back today and the doctor was amazed. I didn't go in yet to see them but he asked me what I had done to make my results change so drastically. And that's without the collagen powder and Whey protein and Brain Octane that I just ordered last night lol. I noticed I was getting depressed again this morning..and..yep, I didn't bother taking the coffee and supplements when I woke up, just to test things out..took them all at 12:00 PM..and it wasn't half an hour before I was feeling amazing..hell, at one point I almost started skipping! haha

That all being said, when I posted the Joe Rogan thing..it was more to justify buying BPC when it costs 30 bucks for a little bit..and 20 for shipping..when it only lasts me 15 days..and it takes two weeks to get here. But after this mornings experiment..I don't care how much it costs..who needs to buy a house wen you feel this good?!

76819.jpg

• In Canada you can order BPC from http://www.myhealthessentials.ca they have several of the BF products in addition to the coffee. 5lb bag of coffee is $89 CAD and they will ship for free if you order over $100 worth of products.

• There's a thread that's around 900 pages long about this, take a quick look. You only need to listen to the first thing she says about mycotoxins: "I don't know a whole lot about it."

Therefore, why should we listen to anything she has to say about them?

Before getting defensive, perhaps you should just listen to it first ?

(as it's predominantly Joe talking about it)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Before getting defensive, perhaps you should just listen to it first ?

(as it's predominantly Joe talking about it)

----

Many of us did listen to it, I know I did, and we've addressed all of the concerns in the thread Stevo referenced. What's frustrating to many of us is that Dave's arguments about mycotoxins are complex and nuanced, but they are being oversimplified when they are refuted. Further, the refutations aren't valid unless the claims are oversimplified, which is frustrating for anyone who understands the complexity. 

As an example, you may believe grass fed meat is healthy, while grain-fed is not. It would be therefore frustrating to repeatedly hear a prominent vegan say that "red meat has been linked to disease in many studies, so all red meat is bad." It would be even more frustrating if you didn't have a chance to point out the differences between grain fed and grass fed cows. And extremely frustrating if every few weeks someone heard this vegan's argument and showed up at your grass-fed meat forum to tell you you're being scammed because all red meat is bad. 

• ----

Many of us did listen to it, I know I did, and we've addressed all of the concerns in the thread Stevo referenced. What's frustrating to many of us is that Dave's arguments about mycotoxins are complex and nuanced, but they are being oversimplified when they are refuted. Further, the refutations aren't valid unless the claims are oversimplified, which is frustrating for anyone who understands the complexity. 

As an example, you may believe grass fed meat is healthy, while grain-fed is not. It would be therefore frustrating to repeatedly hear a prominent vegan say that "red meat has been linked to disease in many studies, so all red meat is bad." It would be even more frustrating if you didn't have a chance to point out the differences between grain fed and grass fed cows. And extremely frustrating if every few weeks someone heard this vegan's argument and showed up at your grass-fed meat forum to tell you you're being scammed because all red meat is bad. 

You hit the nail right on the head. Especially that vegan part..that irks me to no end. Mainly because..I DO hear it everyday..and they can't..grasp..It just makes me want to hit myself over the head with that hammer you were just using lol..

76819.jpg

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats

In Canada, I just buy Kicking Horse coffee. I wouldn't consider myself particularly sensitive to mycotoxins though, and have no food allergies either.

I buy Upgraded MCT & Brain Octane to use with it.