Can People Be Allergic To Coconut Charcoals?!?

I'm on day 1 of a three week RFLP experiment and I've broken out into hives a few hours after taking charcoal capsules.  The only other thing I had after that was a bit of GF butter for dinner with two betaine HCL capsules, but I've been having butter and the betaine all day (and on previous days) with no averse reaction. 

I've always been able to eat coconut my whole life without any reaction, so I can't imagine it's a coconut allergy.  Any thoughts?

(Note: I took some benadryl and it looks like the reaction is under control, so not a SUPER strong reaction, but still surprising)

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

I'm on day 1 of a three week RFLP experiment and I've broken out into hives a few hours after taking charcoal capsules.  The only other thing I had after that was a bit of GF butter for dinner with two betaine HCL capsules, but I've been having butter and the betaine all day (and on previous days) with no averse reaction. 

I've always been able to eat coconut my whole life without any reaction, so I can't imagine it's a coconut allergy.  Any thoughts?

(Note: I took some benadryl and it looks like the reaction is under control, so not a SUPER strong reaction, but still surprising)

Anyone can have a sensitivity to anything. You can be allergic to the charcoal. Its rare but possible.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Did you lose fat prior to this? The purpose of many of the supps on the RFLP is to bind toxins, previously stored in fat, now released as body fat stores are depleted. Hives in one day would be a pretty extreme reaction, but if you're burning fat in large quantities for the first time, and ate a really crappy diet before, it could be possible I think. 

• I had a relatively poor diet beforehand, but not extreme.  I did lose some weight prior to this (about 10lbs). 

I'm working on isolating what exactly it is that caused the reaction; I'm pretty sure it's the charcoal, but last night I had a much milder reaction (hot ears/neck/head, no hives) without taking the charcoal.  Both nights I had a few slices of butter, a tsp out of the syringe of LG, and the natural calm stuff....I'm wondering if maybe it was the natural calm powder instead. 

Thanks for the feedback guys!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

So it's probably not the fat loss, although certainly some of your weight loss was water, not fat. 

So there are some doubts about the absorption of glutathione, but if we assume it is absorbed as designed, there COULD be a detox reaction... you might take a look at this thread, where two people say they feel crappy on glutathione, then Dave posted a video in response. 

Super-short synopsis of that video: glutathione should, in theory, remove toxins from cells - but only move them into the intracellular fluid. There it will be carried to a few different options for removal from the body: some will be peed out, some will be moved into the intestines via bile to be pooped out (more on that in a second) and some could even go to the skin or lungs, to be breathed out or cause skin problems. The reason we take charcoal post glutathione is to provide binding sites for the toxins in the bile excreted into the intestines, otherwise the toxins just get reabsorbed along with the bile. (Bile gets reabsorbed further down the intestines, who knew? John's book knew.) 

So what is the point of all this? If we believe the glutathione is doing it's job, it might actually cause skin problems. BUT if it is, then it should also leave even more toxins in your intestines, in which case you'd really want the charcoal in there, or at least something with a lot of surface area like chlorella or just a lot of plant fiber. 

So definitely see if you can isolate the reaction, and if you confirm it's the charcoal, try replacing it with chlorella, or if you confirm it's the glutathione, um... personally I'd assume I was just hardcore detoxing and stick with it, or maybe try to megadose on a weekend when I wasn't going to see anyone who cares about rashes? That's a tough one.