Ketosis/refeed Question

Hello!

I have a question:

I have been BP for a month or so now, (full time,) and according to ketostix am in ketosis a lot of the time.  I refeed every two to three days, sometimes four days.  I refeed deliciously with sweet potato, and on that day I eat carrots and grapefruit at night.  (Or chocolate, whatever other carbs.)

I notice that I have been kind of not deeply into ketosis, according to the colour of the ketostix.  Something must be knocking me out.  Today, for instance -- after my refeed last night, I had BP coffee with lots of MCT and Brain Octane, as well as butter AND ghee.  Very fatty indeed.  Then, I had lunch -- tuna with lots of MCT and olive oil, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and turmeric.  Also, a hard-boiled egg.  And some coconut chips, raw, organic, etc..  According to the stix, I am barely if at all in ketosis now.  That stumps me, because I've had no sugar-causing foods as far as I can tell, and more MCT than I usually have.

So, what do you think might be kicking me out in ketosis, or not allowing me to go deeper, and what should I do in your opinion to get there?

Oh, one more thing -- after lunch, I had the tiiiiniest sliver of raw ginger -- I mean like literally a taste on the tip of a butter knife, and a small piece of cinnamon, like a 1mm by 4mm piece -- a sliver.

Comments

• The first time I did that, it didn't go so well.  (It was before I knew the importance of refeeds.)  But maybe now it will -- I will try it again.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am post-antibiotic, so I took a lot of probiotics in the morning.  (Natren trinity, I took three capsules.)

• So, what do you guys do for refeed days -- how do they optimally fall in relation to workout days?  Should they be the same, as in carb refeed after workout?

• dont fast on the workout day.

maybe skip the early morning fats, BP coffee on the workout day. 

workout, have some type of protein shake afterwards. 

later on in the day have the carbs, maybe start an IT fast early in the night after you are all filled up with carbs.. 

thats what i have been doing. 

next day do the BP coffee and resume IT fasting and low carb until your next workout / carb refeed day.. 

works for me. 

• Thanks, Stackineuros!  (Nice name!)   :-P

I have been searching for info in Dave's blogs and podcasts, but I find the site to be less than searchable.  I know he talks about carb refeeding and workout days, but I can't find where!  I am curious what everyone else does for their refeed days, and if for everyone they coincide with the workout days.

• today is actually my refeed/BBS workout day. i just had some BP cacao tea (still savin that last cup of coffee for the afternoon!). i had some collagen in my tea so i'm not technically IFing i guess, but sometimes i leave the protein out. for lunch, around 2pm i'll have some low carb veggies (steamed bok choy, and another handful of mixed greens), with some fat (macademias and some butter most likely) and meat (either beef or sardines, haven't decided yet). So I am staying as low carb as I can while still getting some fiber and nutrients. I prep my dinner ahead of time, which is a crazy sweet potato dessert loosely based on jason miller's sweet potato brownies. I do my BBS workout around 7pm (i'd do it earlier if i didn't teach a class beforehand), then have about 20 grams of carbs in the form of coconut water, along with whey protein and creatine. as soon as i get home I put my sweet potatoes in the oven, then about 45 minutes later devour them. The next day I might go right back to IFing, but usually I have some kind of protein. so its sort of a BP refeed meets keifer's carb backloading kind of thing. 

• wouldn't you say that doing resistance training before the refeed is also maybe a bit extra insurance that it won't get stored as fat, and that it will help with muscle growth? 

• Thanks guys.

So far, in my fragile first steps into the BP lifestyle, (about a month solid, two months off and on,) I have been following my natural desire to refeed -- when I feel I need it.  (No more than 5 days apart, being a woman and all.)  Still figuring it out.  I have to pay attention if that coincides with Pilates days or not.  :)

On a different topic entirely…  Is everyone having as hard a time searching the BP site as I am?  It frustrates me that the blogs are not neatly arranged like the podcasts are, easy to find, read, browse, and search.  Is there a trick I haven't figured out yet?

• nah it can be a pain in the ass, cause whatever keyword you're searching for tends to bring up a bunch of unrelated stuff, or absolutely nothing. if you type "refeed" in the search box nothing comes up. whats up with that? i know there's a blog post on it somewhere...

• edited May 2014

Use Google to search only Dave's site (or any site you want) - the results are much better IMO. 

Go to Google and type in the keyword, then "site:bulletproofexec.com" and hit search... Paste this into Google:

refeed site:bulletproofexec.com

On a different topic entirely…  Is everyone having as hard a time searching the BP site as I am?  It frustrates me that the blogs are not neatly arranged like the podcasts are, easy to find, read, browse, and search.  Is there a trick I haven't figured out yet?

nah it can be a pain in the ass, cause whatever keyword you're searching for tends to bring up a bunch of unrelated stuff, or absolutely nothing. if you type "refeed" in the search box nothing comes up. whats up with that? i know there's a blog post on it somewhere...

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • ^ I do try this tactic on occasion, and it works better but still, to quote Drummin, a pain in the ass.

I wish they'd just publish a list of blogs.  It seems like a total no-brainer to me.

• When you search for "refeed" (or any other keyword) in the search box, remember to switch the grey box which says "This Topic" to "Forums", by clicking on it and selecting the search section "Forums" Without doing this, the search function will search for the desired word in ONLY this particular topic.

Happy searching!

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    edited May 2014
    I IF on my workout day(with a 1000 calorie BP coffee), run errands then do my workout "fasted". I eat maybe an hour or two after the workout with my typical "break fast" of a small piece of frozen liver and a protein shake (water, whey, raw cacao, raw egg). I eat my high carb meal a little later, yams rice etc with some kind of meat. Sometimes I snack on cheese, rice crackers, olives and oysters.

As for searching the site, I wish it took thread titles as higher priority. I would like to see threads devoted to the topic before ones that just mention the search parameter.
  • MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
    edited May 2014

the forum is pretty easy to search, its the bulletproofexec blog that feels like i'm looking for hidden dvd easter eggs. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I thought I was crazy.

And yes, the forum is OK.  The main site is the problem.  Blogs are hidden!

• We are working on it.  Right now, I use google operators to search the BPE site.  Kind of embarrassing, but it works for now.