Is It Necessary To Drink The Foam, Too?

Fiance and I have been transitioning more and more into Bulletproof for the past seven or so months, finally got our finances settled and got the MCT oil (a grinder and the BP beans are next on our list, but we use fair trade organic coffee in the meantime), but there's just one thing we've never been able to stomach.

The foam.

I don't know if this is a common thing, but the taste of foam on coffee has always made the both of us gag so much! I scoured the entire coffee section on this forum looking to see if it's ever been mentioned, but found nothing. So I'd like to pose the question, since I can't seem to find an answer on my own: Is it really necessary to drink the foam as well? Are there any particular benefits to drinking the foam? Until now we've been skimming it off the top of our drinks in the morning, wondering if it's actually a detriment to do so. I otherwise enjoy my coffee with a tsp of raw honey, and the flavor is very enjoyable (our barista makes a really good espresso shot, so it's super smooth), and we've tried putting a few different spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) in with it in the past to no good effect (actually just choked on it more at that rate once it got to the bottom of the mug).

So basically, what exactly are we rinsing down the sink every morning, and should we just suck it up and choke down that bitter foam just for the benefits?

Comments

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

The foam is really the exact same thing as what's in the cup, except it's a thin layer wrapped around air that was whipped in during blending. Are you making your coffee with protein? This will stabilize the foam and make it more difficult to get rid of. Try gentle swirling and give it some time. By the time I get to the bottom of my cup (just coffee, butter, coconut & MCT) the foam has dissipated. You could decrease the ferocity of the mixing to incorporate less air. Are you blending in a conventional blender (blade on the bottom) or using an immersion blender? If the former, try the latter and when you put the blender head in, give it a moment to vent the air trapped in the head before starting. Mix at a lower speed for longer time and do not bring the head up for air, just leave it at the bottom. If the blade makes a sucking sound, it's drawing in air so stop, let the swirl subside and resume in pulses to limit air getting in. If you're already using an immersion blender, try putting it in at an angle to allow more air to come out and combine that with the previous tips. Foam is just air inside liquid...it's stabilized by a number of surfactants like protein, phospholipids, etc. If you're using protein, try blending the fat first, and then stirring in protein last. Oh, and if if you're taking a long time to savor the coffee, foams are prone to drying out making them take on a leathery feel so if you're concerned with waste, scoop the foam and eat it while fresh so it hasn't taken on the texture of pudding skin.

Otherwise, just toss the foam if ya can't stand it or are unable to make the coffee without it...it's the same as the rest of the coffee so you're just reducing your volume a little...

• We get a really good head of foam on our coffee, but this could be because we also blend up both servings at the same time. We use a blade blender, which was a gift, since we don't have much money in the budget to branch out too much unfortunately. We aren't making our coffee with protein, though from what I've read it might be a good idea to blend some into hers, since she gets hungry a lot sooner than I do. We tend to drink our coffee within about a half an hour, the biggest issue of which is really drinking through the foam, and then subsequently drinking while it's still hot (it's a pain trying to get her to go reheat hers). We tried straws once, which worked to bypass the foam taste, but by the bottom of the cup you can't tell you're sucking up foam until it's already there, and yuck!

I will see if perhaps gently stirring (our mugs are usually too full for swirling until about halfway through the coffee, and she's not so good at swirling without spilling sometimes) does help the foam mix in with the rest of the coffee. I'm fine with continuing to do it the way we always have, but it would be nice not to dump spoonfulls of awesome nutrients down the sink every morning, too!

OK, now that I got your setup figured out, the foam shouldn't be too strong for stirring to kill, try Jason's idea and if your blender won't go slow enough or doesn't kill it, try scooping or pouring the foam off into the very first cup with just a little coffee and decant it back and forth between the original cup and the empty cup. You should be able to also try swirling the foam this way with a little coffee at the bottom of a cup no problem and you take the spill risk in your own hands! Have you tried blending the coffee at a lower speed for a longer time? You could try to find the slowest speed that disperses the oils and perhaps that'll result in less foam.

One of these methods  should bust up the bubbles or keep them from forming in the first place! Waste not want not, right?

• OK, now that I got your setup figured out, the foam shouldn't be too strong for stirring to kill, try Jason's idea and if your blender won't go slow enough or doesn't kill it, try scooping or pouring the foam off into the very first cup with just a little coffee and decant it back and forth between the original cup and the empty cup. You should be able to also try swirling the foam this way with a little coffee at the bottom of a cup no problem and you take the spill risk in your own hands! Have you tried blending the coffee at a lower speed for a longer time? You could try to find the slowest speed that disperses the oils and perhaps that'll result in less foam.

One of these methods  should bust up the bubbles or keep them from forming in the first place! Waste not want not, right?

I was having the same problem, in fact I just made a stupid post about it in response to an older topic, I just tried Jason's idea and it worked perfectly..I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself lol..need more BPC I guess haha

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

• I'm glad I could spark a topic that could help other people out, too! I'll be trying the blender on low tomorrow morning with our coffee, I can't for the life of me figure out why I never thought of even stirring it in! I blame my fiance for having the habit of scooping off the foam on her froofy coffee before.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

:eek: Foam is the best part! No! So weird. 

Foam is also made out of the fat you want, definitely try to get it into the coffee if possible, don't throw it out. 

• Oh it's good, it just has too much volume for my thermos.

This is what I was having a problem with too, only I bought the Bulletproof Travel mug and the foam was right to the top..not to mention it tasted like..well..butter and oil lol I have a bag of Collagen powder on back order..can't wait to mix that in with it too! I wouldn't call it good though..maybe if I had a regular coffee machine lol But with Keurig..I guess it just doesn't get hot enough. Might try boiling water tomorrow and putting a little in

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

At the risk of sounding like a Costco shill I thought I'd mention that they have an immersion blender kit for $20 which normally sells for $30. If you're on a budget it makes a great way to blend individual cups of BP coffee and by holding the head under the coffee level you should get less foam...plus it's just a quick rinse off the outside in the sink and put it back in storage 'til the morning unlike a blender jar that probably needs a full wash.