Experts, Please Help! 2 Quick Brain And Cholesterol Questions

Two quick questions for the experts here.  Thanks so much in advance for your help!

1. 1) I can only stomach a small amount of brain octane in my BP coffee due to nausea; if I'm not able to get enough of that, is my brain getting the proper nutrition/energy it needs to function on RFLP (or IF for that matter)? (note: I just had a bad concussion 10 days ago, so I'm trying to be cognizant of taking care of my brain first, before losing weight). 

1. 2) After reading on this forum and seeing Dave's posts, it seems consistent that the LDL cholesterol levels shoot up pretty high on the BP diet (presumably due to the butter).  Can someone please give me a quick rundown on why this is ok??  I've always been under the impression you should keep the bad cholesterol low. 

Thanks so much!!

Comments

• edited April 2014

Thank you Jason!

Re: LDLs - so barring conversation about triglycerides, what is most important is to monitor the ratio between HDL and LDLs?

These are my before results, my next test is May 21st .

Component - Standard Range - Your Value  

Cholesterol 0 - 239 mg/dL 176  

TRIGLYCERIDES 0 - 150 mg/dL - 55  

HDL 40 - 60 mg/dL - 62 

LDL DIRECT 0 - 189 mg/dL - 105

TSH (THYROID STIM HORMONE) 0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL

(not sure if thyroid is relevant here)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

if it constantly has to heal the same places (arterial inflammation) it will build up

--- 

Thanks Jason. I knew that, but your particularly succinct phrasing is very valuable to me. I'm trying to get my dad off statins, and I'm collecting solid, simple arguments. 

Mickles, your numbers look good, and thyroid IS relevant, as T3 seems to regulate expression of LDL receptors on cells. So low T3 = raised LDL. (btw T3 is a more advanced biomarker, but you should have plenty if your TSH is 1.45, which is good)

Healing a concussion, I would actually want more cholesterol. In addition to its cardiovascular role, cholesterol is transported via LDL particles to cells and used as building blocks. Especially in the brain, where cholesterol seems to play a role in regenerating and re-myelinating neurons. I forget if krill oil or other omega3s are part of the RFLP, but I'd take them liberally post-concussion for similar reasons. My dad (on statins) had a concussion over a year ago, and still has some dizzy spells, which I am convinced is due to lowered cholesterol from statin use: I think his brain has not been able to fully heal without cholesterol. Scary stuff. 

...since you asked for why elevated LDL is OK and what is most important to measure...

Extended, very geeky reading on cholesterol's benefits can be found at Chris Masterjohn's excellent site, http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/ Chris is the reason we take K2, he's been on the podcast, and is basically a giant in the field of why saturated fats and cholesterol are important to health. 

Extended, also geeky reading on why you shouldn't worry about LDL-C (total cholesterol, which you measured) but instead worry about LDL-P (number of particles) can be had at Peter Attia's site here. But yes, when you measure using standard tests, it's ratios that matter most. Trigs:HDL should be <2.0.