Almost Bulletproof Skinny-Fat Bloating Acne

Start by saying I've been lurking on the forums and following Dave as well as the other primal/paleo figureheads for years. Ready to come semi out of the shadows and get all personal about my health as I've hit a wall.

Follow a very strict Bulletproof/Paleo diet and it treats me well. Started as an around 120 strange looking fellow in his early 20s eating hardcore SAD mixed with constant soda, pop, etc etc switched to whole grains worked out a lot blah blah broke myself typical story. After all that I switched to Bulletproof, put on 20lbs, have more energy and all those good things.

But now I'm at a plateau. Have a little pouch I'm always carrying around. Have some acne and not great skin in general. Intermittent brain fog. Joints not feeling as amazing as I'd like. Considering I'm in my 20s the whole old age thing doesn't seem likely.

Track my food, exercise, and sleep. "cheat" about once a week with one or two apple cider microbrew beer.

Typical day of food:

Breakfast: Probiotic. Wait for 20 mins. Bulletproof coffee, grass fed butter and MCT oil  (going to switch to ghee and see if that improves anything), 5000IU Vitamin D, spirulina tablets.

Lunch: poached pastured eggs, more butter, green veg (always steamed)

Dinner: Grassfed beef (switched with lamb or wild caught salmon), extra virgin olive oil, yam or sweet potatoe, more veg

Supplement with 60mg of zinc and 425mg of magnesium 

Had extensive blood testing and the only issue that stand out is "high" cholesterol (which I'm not especially concerned with since I have high HDL, 0.8 tri to HDL ratio). Then there's my chronically high BUN and Eosinophils.

Exercise heavy weights 1-2 times a week, mobility and breathing training, inversion table daily, little electrostim.

My thoughts are.....chronic low grade infection. I've went to a herbalist and got on a protocol of goldenseal and echinacea which didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Food allergies...going to switch the butter with ghee and see if that changes anything. Possibly some leaky gut issues. SIBO? Not sure what else it could be.. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• edited May 2014

Hi Bobby!

I have recently started a more Paleo diet and have seen some awesome results.  But before starting this diet I was trying to be a vegetarian.  I had similar issues, tired, brain fog, aches, etc. I even had to have my appendix out and although it wasn't ruptured the surgeon said there was sever infection all over my gut (I was hospitalized for days!).

After switching my diet to include meat and lots of fat I found that my symptoms went away, I was suddenly not bloated (I had been bloated so long I didn't even realize that I was bloated), I had tons of energy, better mood, etc.  Basically, I added a ton of calories to my diet and I not only felt better, I lost weight too.

But, even after several months I find that if I don't keep a balanced diet I end up feeling tired and foggy again.  For me, that means lots of fat, a reasonable amount of meat, and a bunch of veggies.  I find that I tend to be a little light on the veggies every so often and that is when I start to feel bad again.

Everybody is different which means that the diet you are on may just need a little "tweaking" to work even better for you.  Perhaps you could use some extra veggies too?  Have you tried veggie juicing?  The pre-biotics from the veggie juice could help your gut bacteria to get into balance, which in turn could alleviate leaky gut problems.  The additional nutrients will also help your body to fight off any infection.  As you mentioned, substituting your fat source to see if you have an allergy is also a great idea. 

One more idea, have you tried a liver cleanse?  I learned from an herbologist that the "pouch" you see on even lean people is a sign of liver trouble.  If you are a lean guy you may just need to jump-start your liver so it can function properly. This may also help with your leaky gut problems too.

Hope this helps!

• Welcome to the Bulletproof forum, Bobby Martin and Rebecca :0)! It looks like you both are off to a good start, but if you need assistance, let the moderators know.

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • Have you tested your diurnal cortisol? Excessive cortisol is highly correlated with isolated belly fat and acne.

Also, why so much zinc? I'd drop that down to about 40 mg (the accepted upper limit).

Start by saying I've been lurking on the forums and following Dave as well as the other primal/paleo figureheads for years. Ready to come semi out of the shadows and get all personal about my health as I've hit a wall.

Follow a very strict Bulletproof/Paleo diet and it treats me well. Started as an around 120 strange looking fellow in his early 20s eating hardcore SAD mixed with constant soda, pop, etc etc switched to whole grains worked out a lot blah blah broke myself typical story. After all that I switched to Bulletproof, put on 20lbs, have more energy and all those good things.

But now I'm at a plateau. Have a little pouch I'm always carrying around. Have some acne and not great skin in general. Intermittent brain fog. Joints not feeling as amazing as I'd like. Considering I'm in my 20s the whole old age thing doesn't seem likely.

Track my food, exercise, and sleep. "cheat" about once a week with one or two apple cider microbrew beer.

Typical day of food:

Breakfast: Probiotic. Wait for 20 mins. Bulletproof coffee, grass fed butter and MCT oil  (going to switch to ghee and see if that improves anything), 5000IU Vitamin D, spirulina tablets.

Lunch: poached pastured eggs, more butter, green veg (always steamed)

Dinner: Grassfed beef (switched with lamb or wild caught salmon), extra virgin olive oil, yam or sweet potatoe, more veg

Supplement with 60mg of zinc and 425mg of magnesium 

Had extensive blood testing and the only issue that stand out is "high" cholesterol (which I'm not especially concerned with since I have high HDL, 0.8 tri to HDL ratio). Then there's my chronically high BUN and Eosinophils.

Exercise heavy weights 1-2 times a week, mobility and breathing training, inversion table daily, little electrostim.

My thoughts are.....chronic low grade infection. I've went to a herbalist and got on a protocol of goldenseal and echinacea which didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Food allergies...going to switch the butter with ghee and see if that changes anything. Possibly some leaky gut issues. SIBO? Not sure what else it could be.. Any feedback is appreciated.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• If you've been dealing with acne - something is not right with your digestion. 

Do only what you really want to do.