Creatine

Is anyone using creatine here?

I am actually thinking about blending a cup of Creatine together with a tablespoon of Piracetam in bulletproof coffee in the morning.

Comments

• I was considering this too. I hope someone can help.
  • macmac
    edited March 2012
    Adding creatine to your piracetam blend is fine, though I wouldn't use as much as a cup of creatine -- 5g will do.
  • This is a detail, but do you think it's safe to blend that into the coffee or should it be taken separately?
  • I mix my 5g of creatine into second morning coffee, and also into my preworkout cocktail which contains caffeine (and is usually just another cup of coffee). There should be zero complications.
  • Anyone else get a bit of nausea from taking creatine on an empty stomach? i ended up switching my dose to the afternoon (generally after a bit of sashimi or sushi and avocado) because i was feeling a bit unwell.

My morning routine was creatine + l glutamine + salt + other supps @ ~6am then BP coffee when i got to work ~7am.
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • I personally can't take any supplements on an empty stomach, and believe it's best to combine them with food/fat in any case.
  • 'Frank' wrote:

I personally can't take any supplements on an empty stomach, and believe it's best to combine them with food/fat in any case.

Hello!

Some supplements are meant to be taken with fats and whole foods. Creatine is probably not one of them. Personally, I take it fasted before workouts with water and some other supps. But if you "can't"... then I guess you can't. However, if you can, you may want to know creatine has a notoriously hard time crossing the blood-brain barrier where it unleashes it's neural-enhancing benefits. Taking it fasted will help limit as much as possible it's competition with the more complex nutrients of whole foods. I'm not an expert, but here is a recent scientific study supporting the the BBB dilemma.

"Abstract

Prolonged oral creatine administration resulted in remarkable neuroprotection in experimental models of brain stroke. However, because of its polar nature creatine has poor ability to penetrate the blood–brain barrier (BBB) without specific creatine transporter (CRT)...."

read more here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/psc.1379/abstract
  • So, does this mean we need a Lipoceutical Creatine? Or would that even make a difference?

Hello!

Some supplements are meant to be taken with fats and whole foods. Creatine is probably not one of them. Personally, I take it fasted before workouts with water and some other supps. But if you "can't"... then I guess you can't. However, if you can, you may want to know creatine has a notoriously hard time crossing the blood-brain barrier where it unleashes it's neural-enhancing benefits. Taking it fasted will help limit as much as possible it's competition with the more complex nutrients of whole foods. I'm not an expert, but here is a recent scientific study supporting the the BBB dilemma.

"Abstract

Prolonged oral creatine administration resulted in remarkable neuroprotection in experimental models of brain stroke. However, because of its polar nature creatine has poor ability to penetrate the blood–brain barrier (BBB) without specific creatine transporter (CRT)...."

read more here http://onlinelibrary...c.1379/abstract
  • Creatine should be taken with sugar to better saturate the cells. It can be taken with food. I personally blend it in a shake with some fruit.

Load with 5g (1 heaping tsp) per day. It will take 3-4 weeks for the effects to take hold.

Combine it with a resistance-training regimen! You'll start packing on some muscle fairly easily.
  • [font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Piracetam, at least the kind I have, tastes terrible. I couldn't imagine what my coffee would taste like if I mixed it in. I always just mix it up with a bit of water and take it like a shot of hard alcohol that I want to get down as quickly as possible.[/font]
  • There have been some reports of a lesser effect of Creatine when co-ingested with Caffeine, although this is in muscular performance, not cerebral. Just to make sure I take my Creatine in a nighttime herbal tea before bed with a little bit of honey.
  • Creatine is great I use it to get thorugh 12 hour night shifts at work. Befor I started taking creatine i was always tired now im more energized through the night.
  • For some reason when i take creatine it just makes me feel rubbish. I took 4g a day for 5 days, my skin was flaking. Skin problems being non existent to me my whole life. And then i cant bend my knuckles with out skin splitting and bleeding. Also i experienced really bad brain fog and just felt spaced out. i am aware that creatine alters your body water potential, drawing water into muscles mostly skeletal. could it have been the diversion of water to muscles causing an imbalance and subsequence dehydration in other areas such as my brain and skin? Or in case with my brain the opposite by saturating my brain with too much water, im aware creatine is used in the synapses to aid in neurotransmission so a high build up in the brain is possible increasing its water potential. Or could it be bad quality creatine? I did buy from holland and barrett. I certainly was drinking plenty, always do. As soon as i stopped felt fine next day, skin has healed atlast. Took just 700mg yesterday felt like a diseased anus all day, maybe i naturally produce an optimum amount anyway and this additional intake is tipping the scale.

Sorry for the rant but its pissed me off aha, especially since Dave Asprey did a blog saying it can increase your IQ substantially.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭
    edited November 2012

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is a rare case.
    Yeah it's very unlikely. 700mg is nothing for creatine. Perhaps it's your supplement quality? Or something else you ate?
  • edited November 2012
    Well i think it could be the fact im taking armodafinil too. I have taken creatine before armodafinil and no ill effects. I am aware both are very taxing on the liver. But quality is real possibility, its from holland & barret a different brand to the creatine i had before.

Nothing else i took or ate was any different from the norm since implementing to bp diet. And problems stopped after no more creatine.
  • which brand of Creatine does Dave recommend?

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

which brand of Creatine does Dave recommend?
    No mentions that I could find. From my research, though, it doesn't matter. It's all OK as long as you choose a decent brand.
  • I don't know what brand dave recommends, but I was recommended to use "creapure" creatine monohydrate but Drew Baye, who has one of the most popular High Intensity training blogs on the net today. I use 5 grams before bedtime (and an hour or so before my weekly HIT session) 

http://www.creapure.com/en/creapure-every-day/multiple-advantages

I noticed incredible increase in rate of strength the first few months I used it, and the funny thing was I didn't start to use it until I read about the brain benefits being a B.A. for applied psychology. Too bad they never teach you this kind of stuff in schools. 

I used to get it from Vitamin shoppe, now a local grocery store: http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Creatine-Powder-Unflavored/dp/B002DYIZEO

It's gonna say "creapure" on the middle of the tub. it's the most pure tasting form ever, and never had any issues with it. Oh, and I'd say don't bother getting the one with extra carbs already added to it. yes, you need insulin to help it get absorbed into the body, but a table spoon of raw organic honey is all you need, or almond butter, etc.

Cheers, Tim

• I'm seeing a few people saying they take glutamine in the morning, I don't think that's a good idea if you're going a fast because glutamine/sugar will spike your insulin. Maybe do it mid day on your meal when you'll be rising your insulin a little anyways though your meal or have a day where you decide it doesn't matter.

Many creatine brands also come premixed with flavouring / sugar because 1, it's more palatable, but 2, the sugar/insulin hit helps drive it into the muscles/ brain. (I also now take my creatine mid day)

I'm also seeing a few people say they feel sick/bad/dizzy with creatine. That's normal I did to, it's because your body doesn't know what to do with it right now *(the loading period, i think) what i would recommend is radically reduce your creatine, i started with about 1/20 a teaspoon and now I do 5mg just fine also many days going completely without. *(about 2 weeks to a month later)

I did have my own question however, does anyone know how creatine effects sleep? does it make you sleep better? or worst because of sugars