Experimenting With The Raw Milk Diet

I've decided to experiment with a Raw Milk Diet. This includes consuming nothing but raw milk (and raw kefir) for an extended period of time. Though for some reason grass-fed raw milk is only a "yellow" on the BP spectrum, it is found throughout history to be one of the most nutritious and healing foods on the planet.

(Note: I am definitely not talking about pasteurized milk from sick, drugged, grain/corn fed cows. That stuff is poison and I don't let it anywhere near my mouth. I'm specifically talking about raw milk from healthy, grass-fed, pastured cows.)

"The Milk Diet" has been used by several doctors in the early 1900's - prior to the invention of pasteurization - to cure a plethora of diseases and ailments, including: inflammation, fever, insomnia, obesity, psoriasis, tuberculosis, hypertension, indigestion, migraines, asthma, liver disorders, nerve irritability, cancer, bad complexion, eczema, dandruff, anemia, constipation, chronic diarrhea, dysentery, hardening of the arteries, appendicitis, arthritis, impotence, gallstones, diabetes, and much more.

There are hundreds of cases of miraculous cures when patients are prescribed nothing but raw milk, water, and rest.

(Resources and helpful links listed at the bottom of this post)

I plan to do this for at least three (3) weeks. I would like to go longer, but I am moving to another state at the end of June so it might be difficult to keep up the diet during my transition. But I will be staying with family and they have access to grass-fed, raw milk. So, I'm guessing that if I simply ask them to pick me up some milk before I arrive, I can continue the "diet" past the three weeks and potentially for about 7-8 weeks.

Fortunately, I have no life-threatening ailments. My goal with this diet is to heal some kind of skin disorder on my scalp (not sure if it is psoriasis or eczema), lose the last 10 lbs of fat covering my chiseled muscles, drastically heal and nourish my gut, detox my body, dramatically boost my energy, improve my sleep, and feel better all-around. Some of this is measurable, some not so much. Either way, I intent to feel amazing (after the detox phase, of course).

My personal protocol will include (nearly) nothing but 4-6 pints of raw milk each day, with as much of it in kefir form as possible (to ramp up the probiotics, enzymes, and B vitamins). I will also be supplementing with vitamin C, liquid vitamin D3, Omega-3's, lipase enzymes, CLA, spirulina, chlorella, moringa, glutamine, arginine, and creatine. (The additional amino acids are to repair the body and build muscle, as I'll be doing bodyweight exercises throughout the "diet.")

I will not be using stevia either. I have recently discovered some theories that point to the hormone disrupting attributes of the plant. (You can view some articles on the subject here.) Just something I’m experimenting with.

The only exception to the milk and supplements will be some berries in a morning smoothie, simply to cover up the taste of the not-so-palatable powders. Besides that morning “Super Shake,” I will live off only raw milk, raw kefir, and some occasional kombucha (more for pleasure and a social outlet than for health benefits, as we know those are somewhat questionable).

I just placed an order for 5 gallons of raw milk; I'll pick it up on Tuesday and will start the diet Wednesday morning.

I will definitely post back in this thread and let you all know how my experience is going!

For more information on "The Milk Diet" and the nutritional benefits of raw milk, check out the following sources:

http://www.milk-diet.com/
http://www.realmilk.com/health/milk-cure/
http://www.milk-diet.com/classics/macfadden/macfaddenmain.html
http://www.yourfamilyfarmer.com/fresh-thoughts/i-really-shouldnt-tell-you-this
http://www.realmilk.com/health/
http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/
http://chriskresser.com/raw-milk-reality-benefits-of-raw-milk

P.S. I understand the potential risk of raw milk and am willing to take that chance. ;)

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

Comments

• Curious how this turns out. Will follow
  • The longest raw milk fast I've done is five days.  It is one of the easier fast to do for sure.  I did notice improvement in skin. 

• I read a post or newsletter by Rich Nikoley - the resistant starch dude - about doing a raw milk diet for a month. I'm fairly certain he said he would put on something like twenty pounds - ten fat and ten lean - during that time, but then the fat would just melt off once he went back to a high fat diet, leaving him with just the ten additional pounds of lean muscle mass. He touted it as a body recomposition diet.

I make my own kefir, but have a tough time keeping up with it. It produces faster than I drink it, so I end up stuffing it back in the fridge to slow it down, then forgetting about the little buggers for a while.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

This is intriguing. Keep us posted, mate!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• NickatNickat
    edited May 2014
    Lack of proof is not proof against.

Certainly drink kefir and like that made from raw milk. Would I drink it as a sole source of a diet....tough call.

Certainly noticed a difference in recomposition of the body when drinking it in excess. Sounds like a great study. Good luck with this protocol and will look forward to hearing the results.
  • I think I'd be adding some MCT and resistant starch to the raw milk.  Using cold coffee with raw milk was another excellent factor for my milk fast. 

• edited June 2014

I've made a couple updates to my protocol.

My total supplement "stack" will look something like this: vitamin C capsules, spirulina, chlorella, moringa, liquid vitamin D3, Power Defense (a Native American herbal supplement that supercharges the immune system), oil of oregano, cinnamon oilglutamine, arginine, creatine, BCAA’s, milk thistle, CLA, iodine, multi-glandulars, lipase, tulsi tea, magnesium (or this, I have both), potassium, and Omega-3’s. (None of these are affiliate links, simply the brands I am using.)

My usual day will look like this:

• 7:00 a.m. 1 pint of milk. Supplement with vitamin C, vitamin D3, and BCAA’s.
    • 9:00 a.m. Tulsi tea with cinnamon oil. Supplement with oil of oregano.
    • 10:00 a.m. 1 pint of kefir. Supplement with CLA, omega-3’s, and lipase.
    • 1:00 p.m. 1 pint of milk. Supplement with multi glandulars.
    • 3:00 p.m. Tulsi tea with cinnamon oil. Supplement with milk thistle and Power Defense.
    • 4:15 p.m. Exercise
    • 5:00 p.m. Post-Workout Shake: 1 pint of raw milk, raw honey, stevia, pink himalayan salt, spirulina, chlorella, moringa, glutamine, arginine, creatine, and iodine. Supplement with BCAA's.
    • 7:00 p.m. 1 pint of kefir (or milk). Supplement with magnesium and potassium.
    • 8:00 p.m. Supplement with GABA.

After some additional research, such as this article, I have decided to allow minimal stevia BUT I will only use it in the presence of actual glucose (raw honey). It is my opinion that sweeteners shouldn't be used in the absence of actual glucose. Think about it, your body is programmed to receive some form of sugar after it tastes something sweet. It is a primal instinct. I don't think it is very kind on the adrenals (or the rest of your body) to trick and tease your system without actually providing what it expects to receive. I have absolutely no research to back this theory up, so as for now, it is merely a personal opinion. (Here is an interesting article on the subject, though I don't see very many studies being cited.)

As you can see, I may be exercising during this fast/cleanse. This will totally depend on how I feel. I predict that because of the fact that I will be consuming roughly 90 grams of protein each day from the milk, in addition to the plethora of amino acids, I will be able to build muscle, while also burning excess body fat. I plan on exercising 3-4 times each week, rotating between a leg day, chest/shoulder day, high intensity sprinting, and a back day in that order. Workouts will be kept between 20-40 minutes. If at any point, I feel like working out is putting too much strain on my body, I will stop immediately. I am 100% okay with not working out, especially since this is a "fast" / "cleanse." But I am a robust, young man and I'd like to see if my hunter/warrior body will adapt to the challenge. Again, if this becomes too much, I will definitely stop. Or instead of lifting weights, I may just stick to bodyweight exercises throughout the diet (push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, etc).

I will be drinking tulsi tea with cinnamon oil on a regular basis. Tulsi tea, made from "Holy Basil" leaves, has many powerful health benefits (here is one article, but you can do your research and find plenty of great info on the plant). Cinnamon oil also has many, many benefits. One of which is the ability to kill viruses and harmful bacteria. This oil - in combination with the oil of oregano - is my preventative care against the risks of e. coli and other potential dangers in the milk. Although problems with raw milk are EXTREMELY rare, and many people have performed this kind of fast with no problem whatsoever, it is a legitimate concern. It's my guess that those who catch anything from raw milk, did not have strong immune systems to begin with. I've been consuming raw milk and kefir for several months, recently took two months of probiotics, and thanks to the Power Defense, cinnamon oil, and oil of oregano, I don't think that I have any reason to fear.

After reading some testimonies of people who have performed a raw milk diet in the past, it is likely that I will need to purchase a tongue scraper (or use a spoon in the meantime) as there seems to be a lot of detox that takes place through the tongue during this cleanse. I'll let you know how that goes.

And finally, here are some other testimonies of people who have performed a similar fast:

http://www.thesweetplantain.com/our-raw-milk-fast-experience-weight-loss-healing/

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2010/03/my-raw-milk-diet-cure-experiment-what-i

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/what-if-you-drank-only-lukewarm-raw-milk-and-didnt-eat-anything-else/

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/the-milk-cure-2012/

http://www.cookinggodsway.com/30-day-raw-milk-fast/

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/elizabeth-wallings-23-day-raw-milk-fast/

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2014

Don't you think the levels of vit D are too low from the drops?

Maybe use dextrose as a substitute for some of the raw honey as it gives immediate availability. ....just a thought. Lastly why can't you use your toothbrush to brush off the stuff from your tongue. Really interested how this is gonna work out...last thoughts of the day....what about resistant starch? Raw potato starch maybe.

Have you looked at the bleeding techniques and milk diet the East African Maasai Warriors practice..maybe really useful in finding optimum supplementation clues etc...http://www.livestrong.com/article/293306-masai-tribe-diet/

• edited June 2014

I would have joined if I think I could, but guess it is too risky for me atm :) Looks great man. 

Fwiw: I use a tongue scraper already for a long time, loving it. I need it less when I stay with the Bulletproof diet though :)

• edited June 2014

Don't you think the levels of vit D are too low from the drops?

Maybe use dextrose as a substitute for some of the raw honey as it gives immediate availability. ....just a thought. Lastly why can't you use your toothbrush to brush off the stuff from your tongue. Really interested how this is gonna work out...last thoughts of the day....what about resistant starch? Raw potato starch maybe.

Have you looked at the bleeding techniques and milk diet the East African Maasai Warriors practice..maybe really useful in finding optimum supplementation clues etc...http://www.livestrong.com/article/293306-masai-tribe-diet/

Thanks for the input! Vitamin D levels will be just fine, seeing as I take about 5 drops each morning (10,000 IU), raw milk has a ton of fat soluble vitamin D, and I get about 30-60 minutes of sun each day. And for anyone concerned about "too much" vitamin D, I suggest you take a look at this. :)

I might look into using some dextrose. Thanks for that. I have raw honey on hand for now, and it has some nutritional value, so I'll probably use up what I got and then go from there.

Personally, I've tried using my toothbrush in the past, but I haven't found it to be as effective as an actual scraper or spoon. The scraper just seems to get the job done much better. Might not be necessary for everyone though.

I haven't looked into resistant starch much, but mostly because I want to stick to this milk fast as closely as possible, plus a couple minor non-solid supplements and ingredients. Plus I think adding resistant starch would simply be another variable in the experiment that I don't want to mess with. Because I've never experimented with resistant starch in the past, I wouldn't want to add it to a hefty protocol like this in case I don't respond well to it.

And thanks for the Maasai Warrior Diet info, but I don't have an ample supply of healthy animal blood on hand, and I'd mostly like to experiment with the raw milk diet haha. Definitely something to keep in mind though. ;)

I would have joined if I think I could, but guess it is too risky for me atm :) Looks great man. 

Fwiw: I use a tongue scraper already for a long time, loving it. I need it less when I stay with the Bulletproof diet though :)

You can do anything you set your mind to! :) I think you would be just fine on the milk diet, especially seeing so many people who have done it in the past and been just fine. But no pressure. I am perfectly happy to be the guinea pig in this experiment.

And thanks, I will definitely look into getting an actual scraper.

• edited June 2014

I don't know man, have had some fatigue issues in the past and thanks to bulletproof I feel better now. Already did find a place where they sell raw milk though that's pretty close to my place. Do you know how long to can keep this stuff in the fridge? Can't find much about that. 

Edit: O man you made me curious haha... I have this chronic pain for like 1,5 years in my legs now, and this could potentially help given the minerals/vitamins that are in there. Like magnesium helps a bit etc, but maybe the forms in this milk are more easily absorbed.

Edit 2: Why are you going to add magnesium and potassium since it is already in the milk? http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html I have no clue if this source is good but this is why I ask. They argue the ratio is already good.

• I don't know man, have had some fatigue issues in the past and thanks to bulletproof I feel better now. Already did find a place where they sell raw milk though that's pretty close to my place. Do you know how long to can keep this stuff in the fridge? Can't find much about that. 

Edit: O man you made me curious haha... I have this chronic pain for like 1,5 years in my legs now, and this could potentially help given the minerals/vitamins that are in there. Like magnesium helps a bit etc, but maybe the forms in this milk are more easily absorbed.

Edit 2: Why are you going to add magnesium and potassium since it is already in the milk? http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html I have no clue if this source is good but this is why I ask. They argue the ratio is already good.

It will last in the fridge for a good 7-10 days. And if you are suffering from any kind of condition, I fully believe this diet will only help. You will be giving your digestive system a wonderful break, and filling your body with very absorbable vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients (amino acids, healthy cholesterol, CLA, etc). I am adding magnesium because the amount in the milk will not equate to my daily goal of about 400-700 mg.

Again, not totally necessary, as many people have done this kind of a cleanse with no added supplements. I'm just stepping things up a bit and hopefully the result is a positive one ;)

• Wowzers! I just had quite the "flush." :) (Warning: be prepared for descriptive language regarding fecal elimination. Hey, this thread is about a cleanse. Hopefully you're expecting this kind of stuff.)

Okay, so in preparation for the milk cleanse starting tomorrow, I have been consuming nothing but water and kombucha today. It's been very enjoyable. I just came home and decided to make the "Power Shake" for the first time. Raw milk, spirulina, chlorella, moringa, raw honey, stevia, vanilla extract, glutamine, arginine, creatine, and iodine.

1.) It tasted...interesting. (I am actually considering just mixing the powders in a lesser amount of milk and "downing it" quickly rather than go through the hassle of blending it with the sweeteners. I'll experiment with this in the future.)

2.) It gave me a little tummy ache pretty quickly (but the kind where you feel a trip to the bathroom is in order). Then, following these instincts, I proceeded to the toilet. It cleaned me out. I could tell that this shake had already started the detox phase. The "movement" started out real solid at first, but became looser and looser, until it was mostly liquid being flushed out. When I though it had all passed, I got up, finished the second half of the shake, and hung out for about 10 minutes. Soon, I felt the need to return to thy throne. This time, I brought a copy of "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This!" to help pass the time. I sat on the "pot" for a good 15 minutes. During this time, much waste was eliminated. I have done fasts and cleanses in the past, and I know I am getting pretty "clean" when it's basically pure liquid coming out from me. There was a lot of that taking place.

About 20 minutes later now, I feel wonderful! No more tummy ache. I feel lighter and cleaner and ready for anything.

I am very interested in what kind of "detox" will follow in the next few weeks.

Tonight I'm going to drink a glass of milk and then take some measurements and pictures.

The cleanse starts tomorrow, and I'll keep you all updated along the way.

Note to self: might want to cancel the camping trip planned in two weeks. The woods are not totally ideal for this kind of thing. ;)

• I dont know man, I am pretty sure I cant handle mold so that is why I am hesitant.

Def make pics, measure ur weight, bf%. Did u calculate how many kcal ur gonna get every day?
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

As much as a I love dairy it can be riddled with MAP (Mycobacterium Avium Paratubuerculosis). Grass fed / raw isn't safe from MAP, and some studies show that it might be higher concentrated. MAP loves to hide in the fat globules of milk. Make your gut as strong as you can to resist MAP if you want to drink raw milk. Good luck!

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• As much as a I love dairy it can be riddled with MAP (Mycobacterium Avium Paratubuerculosis). Grass fed / raw isn't safe from MAP, and some studies show that it might be higher concentrated. MAP loves to hide in the fat globules of milk. Make your gut as strong as you can to resist MAP if you want to drink raw milk. Good luck!

John I thought MAP was only suspected as cause of Crohn`a disease although it was only a confirmed cause of disease in cattle?

Does n`t it survive pasteurization anyway and therefore any milk theoretically can be effected?

Lastly MAP also survives chlorination in water supplies.....doesn`t it?

• Alright, so it's the beginning of Day 5 and so far, so good! I haven't been feeling hungry whatsoever. Just constant, stable energy (not like Bulletproof coffee, modafinil energy, but I've felt good). 

I noticed the skin on my face looks clearer (less dry and less red). Also, I just checked this morning and I am down 3 lbs and 1" off my waist. So that's pretty cool. I haven't been lifting just yet, because I wanted to make sure that my body could handle the cleanse. But I'm feeling great and I think I'm going to start incorporating some lifting.

I won't be able to do a full 8 weeks like I wanted, because at the end of the month, I am attending a conference in North Carolina and won't be able to take gallons of raw milk with me onto the plane. So I will follow this protocol for about three weeks total. I think that's a good amount of time.

I'm expecting continued positive results, and I will keep you all updated as the journey progresses!

• Seems great man, keep us posted

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2014

Looking at your experiment with this raw milk diet got us thinking about why this might not work for everyone (Lactose intolerance).

We came apon these statistics from Robert D. McCracken,

"Lactase Deficiency: An Example of Dietary Evolution,"
    Current Anthropology 12 (Oct.-Dec. 1971, pp. 479-517)

and Norman Kretchner,

"Lactose and Lactase," Scientific American 277 (Oct. 1972, pp. 71-78)

POPULATION

LACTOSE  
      INTOLERANT 
    ADULTS  

U.S.

European Americans                         2-19 %

Latinos (Hispanic Americans)               52 %

African Americans                           70-77 %

Native Americans                                 95 %

Asian Americans                            95-100 %

Mexico                                                83 %

Europe

Sweden                                                 4 %

Switzerland                                          12 %

Spain                                                    15 %

Finland                                                  18 %

Estonia                                                   28 %

England                                                  32 %

Hungary                                                  37 %

Greece                                                   88 %

Jordan                                                    79 %

Africa

Southern Sudan (cattle herders)          17 %

Ibo and Yoruba (Nigeria)                         99 %

Asia

Japan                                                    90 %

Thailand                                                99 %

Australia (Aborigines)                             85 %

The distribution pattern of lactose intolerance people seem to indicate that Europeans and Sudanese Africans are not representative of a humans and most of the animal kingdom other than when breast milk is given to a baby within the first few months of it`s birth.

This seems to beg the question as to just how paleo this type of diet really is and maybe why it might work for some and not others. It could be in the genes and your potential risk of taking raw milk could be lower than some think austinbeals :-P

Keep us posted.

• Haha great research Nickat! It is very true that some would probably handle a diet like this better than others.

One of the interesting things that I have found in my research is that the reason most people are lactose-intolerant has much to do with the fact that the enzyme lactase is destroyed during pasteurization. The primary role of this enzyme is to break down and digest lactose. If that is stripped from milk, it only makes sense that most people couldn't handle all that lactose without the essential enzyme to process it.

I'm also curious if pasteurization is a common practice overseas (such as in most Asian countries). I was under the impression that it was not. If that is the case, I find it strange that people are still having trouble digesting the lactose even with the lactase in place. Again, obviously genetics can play a huge role in how we specifically react to food.

So yes, it's an interesting question - whether this would be healthy for all people. But I seem to be tolerating it well, so I am grateful for my European genetics ;)

• How are you doing?
  • Doing great. I feel awesome. Plenty of energy. More positive thoughts. Skin is improving. Having really interesting bowel movements which are clear indicators that I am being cleaned out. Which is great.

I have upped the kefir to 4 pints a day (2 quarts) and am really enjoying that. More probiotics, enzymes, and B vitamins. Feeling more energetic since making that switch.

I am also taking black walnut extract and wormwood, after doing some research surrounding parasites, their extremely common presence in humans, and their nasty effect on the body.

Overall I'm feeling great. I will continue for one more week which will be a total of 14 days. Not as long as I originally intended, but I am getting closer to my move up and need to transition back into solid foods.

So far this has been a very positive experience!

• Interesting man. I did read about the parasite stuff too when i was reading about a liver cleanse but having trouble believing that stuff. I might def try this fast too some day. Is fat% still decreasing and how many kcal are you taking in?
  • edited June 2014

Did drink a liter of this kefir stuff from raw milk. NO ISSUES at all. Oh boy. U got me here. I really wanna try this raw milk fast now, but I live with my parents and they are gonna freak out lol.

Edit: just pm'd 2 farmers lol. Can't resist.

• edited June 2014

I've started drinking raw milk regularly lately after watching a documentary on how the FDA is trying to outlaw it and how people are fighting for it to remain legal.  They also had a lot of testimonies about how it cured a lot of conditions for them and their children.  Luckily I discovered an Amish store close to where I live that has raw milk.  They also have raw goat milk which I ordered and look forward to trying out as I've read goats milk has been used more universally then cows milk, it's also supposed to be more nutritionally complete, so we shall see.  I've also started researching raw camel milk as they sell that too.  I hadn't had regular milk for over 30 years because of the side effects.  I'm very happy to be able to drink it again and enjoy the positive effects.

Someone who did a 30 day raw milk fast.

http://www.cookinggodsway.com/30-day-raw-milk-fast/

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2013/04/raw-milk-fast-and-cure.html

I've also gotten back into raw honey as it's supposed to be very healing if taken an hour before bed time.  Feels like I sleep better just using the honey.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-top-6-ways-to-improve-your-sleep-using-food/  

Also, I've read a few articles that talked about pcps in omega 3 fish oils so be highly selective.

http://bestofmotherearth2012.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/does-your-fish-oil-supplement-have-pcp-in-them/

All the best.

• How are u doing? I love raw milk kefir and yoghurt now lol. Saved 4 bottles so ready to tap raw milk. No difference yet in calves though :(
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

John I thought MAP was only suspected as cause of Crohn`a disease although it was only a confirmed cause of disease in cattle?

Does n`t it survive pasteurization anyway and therefore any milk theoretically can be effected?

Lastly MAP also survives chlorination in water supplies.....doesn`t it?

MAP survives anything. Any dairy product or even meat itself can have it.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

If someone has lactose intolerance they can easily supplement with lactase, I think it's cheap.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.