Bulletproof Food While Camping Or Other Travelling Without Refridgeration

What would you take as the most bulletproof food possible if you were to go for a few days camping,  and have to take all food to eat with you, obviously without refrigeration?

Heard about the pemmican thing, but I am waiting for other ideas also.

I can of course take clarified butter, coconut and MCT oil for the fat, then for the protein some collagen, maybe canned fish (how bulletproof is that?), and for some carbs maybe a few fruits. Anything more Bulletproof, and creative ways to actually make a bulletproof meal out of that in the forest? Other then mixing coconut oil with honey and eating with a spoon?

Our paleo ancestors didn't have refrigeration, so its an irony that now its more difficult to eat paleo away from a freezer then a "standard diet". At home I mostly eat grass-fed beef and wild caught fish from my freezer.

Please post your ideas, even better stuff you actually tried while travelling/camping away from refrigeration for a few days. 

Tagged:

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited May 2014

Buy a cooler and use dry ice. Or you can use regular ice if you have access to a gas station nearby to switch it out when it melts.

• edited June 2014

Buy a cooler and use dry ice. Or you can use regular ice if you have access to a gas station nearby to switch it out when it melts.

No, you don't understand what I mean by "camping". 

I meant actually walking in the mountains, away from any human establishments, carrying everything I need on my back.

Going anywhere near a gas station actually would just make the whole trip pointless, as the point is to be some time in nature. Sleeping in a tent or just under the stars.

Cooler+ice=heavy. Doable, but I'd rather just stick to options without refrigeration, even if just to make a point. Remember Paleo people didn't have refrigeration. So the point is to emulate conditions which they had. Surely they didn't have gas stations too.

The point is to have a few days rest away from man-made establishments and too much technology, so the idea is to make this exercise with minimal technology possible, at least on the trip itself.

• Dark chocolate, Macadamias, Sardines (yes they are BP). Raw veges (loose leaf - eat within the first day), Avocado, boiled egs, Jerky. Should be a good start.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Unfortunately a lot of people think camping involves an RV or car and a cooler. It sounds like you're "backpacking." 

If I was expending that kind of energy, I'd have no problem upping carbs. I'd probably use rice, or rice noodles as a big source of calories that are light - add water and boil for dinner. Rice noodles are going to cook faster and be easier in terms of cleanup. While I'd love to get a lot of protein in that type of situation, it's not always realistic. Years ago, long before I'd heard of BP, I did a two week backpacking trip with Outward Bound and basically survived on crackers. I don't think anyone was getting more than 30g/day protein on the trip, and we were all in deep caloric deficit. And guess what? I lost a lot of fat and felt like I gained strength. It's not optimal, but I think the experience of getting out in the woods is worth it.

That said, with proper prep, you could probably get a lot more protein than that. So I'd use rice/rice noodles as a base for dinner and add protein, then have nuts and reasonably-BP energy bars for snacks. And obviously the other dried/canned protein sources mentioned. Plus maybe some protein powder? If you have access to a farm, see if you can get unwashed eggs. Eggs have a protective layer on them that keeps them fresh without refrigeration for a long time. By law farmers wash that off so they need refrigeration. (Brilliant, right?) But if you can convince a farmer to sell you unwashed eggs, you could have delicious egg breakfasts. You can buy plastic egg contains at camping stores so they don't break. I'd skip fresh fruit and get dried fruit.

For prep, either a fire or a camp stove. You can get a lightweight camping pot with lid, but make sure the lid can double as a frying pan. Cook on the stove, or coals from a hot fire, rather than open flame. 

Of course, what's really optimal is hunting and fishing. 

Finally... fresh meat is often dry aged. Hunters regularly cut the organs out of their kills and hang them up for a day or two while they hunt some more. With proper cooking, you could probably get away with just packing in some fresh meat. 

• I spend about 100 nights a year in the woods, in a bushcraft or backpacking format. It's tough for longer stretches, but 2-3 days is easy to eat BP. I bring a Contigo mug that I can shake my coffee in. You need a Contigo or something that locks the lid from the inside or it will go everywhere. I often have an extra BP coffee mid morning so I plan 2 mugs worth a day.

Most of the stuff is covered above but I would freeze a couple steaks, maybe some bacon. I agree with taking rice/rice noodles for calories, especially if you're going to make a lot of miles. If you're only going to a single spot and then stopping, you can likely lower the amount you'll bring. Also, eggs from the farmer, unwashed, though realistically, for 2-3 days they'll be fine without refrigeration.

Bring an avocado per day.

Lastly, learn the plants that are in your area and forage for what's there. Dandelion grows everywhere and the leaves are good in salads (at least in moderation). There are a lot of edible plants in the woods, all of which will be better or worse depending on the season. Most will be best in Spring as they get bitter as the summer comes on.

Look into dandelion, common plantain (both edible and medicinal, this IS NOT the banana relative), fireweed, nettles. If you're feeling adventurous, you can go for cattail roots. They're full of carb. As these foods are not common, I don't know how they fit the BP diet but they are options.

Oh, and learn to fish.