What Kind Of Eggs

Hi I was looking at different eggs and I was wondering what is ideal. Are organic free range eggs the best for you? Or do they need to be grass/weed/insect fed to be the best for you?

Comments

• jondjond
    edited October 2012
    Eggs are pretty cheap no matter what kind you buy. Whole Foods has Vital Farms pastured eggs for about $6.50 a dozen. Local farmers' markets are probably cheaper, but I personally don't have time to shop at them.
  • davevolutiondavevolution Not an Advanced Member
    I think the mian thing is as long as they aren't fed grain or corn to fill them up since corn and grain has mytotoxins.
  • jondjond
    edited October 2012
    Yes, most cage-free eggs are still grain fed. I also specifically avoid Omega-3 eggs. Farmers achieve this by feeding the chickens large amounts of flax seed unfit for human consumption. In addition to changing the fat profile of the yolks, they take on a pretty unattractive pale yellow color in my opinion. Unfortunately, the consumer mob mentality has unanimously decided that Omega-3 eggs are better for you, and it's becoming difficult to find eggs in supermarkets from chickens that eat what they're supposed to eat!
  • It's best to buy local pastured eggs if you can get them. When I can't get any, I just use the store brand. Most of the organic "cage-free" eggs are crap. "Cage-free" means they are packed inside a building instead of inside a cage.