Nutritional Benefits Of Herbs In The Bp Diet.

Comments

•       I have been consistently taking bacopa, ashwaghanda root, gotu kola, lemongrass, and ginger for months now and the stack seems to have a wide range of benefits and will treat many ailments. See my thread for more info on these: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9220-ashwagandha-bacopa-and-gotu-kola/?p=91919 .

I never thought about the nutritional benifits of edible herbs. I think I have cinnamon every day in my oatmeal, thyme and basil ever other day in my lentil soup, fresh cilantro, lime, and rosemary in cooked black beans every couple days too.

I'm the First, the Best and the Last!

¯ Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿)͇̿̿)Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿(Ì¿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

To create a nice stack, we need to establish an endpoint and work backwards.  That way, we can choose herbs that complement one another in their digestion, metabolism, and biological impact.  Are you still looking to boost white cell count?

Nic:  ''Most certainly am if at all possible''.

The TianChi caught our eye as it`s claims to enhance and improve brain, hormone and sleep and might have helped. I`m guessing 6 months would have been a good benchmark to see movement in the cell count, if at all. Your right though, an endpoint and working backwards will established better results. Go for it.

Some additional info for you to muse over.

Last blood tests showed the following notable trends (following the BP Diet now just over one year):

Serum testosterone                      32.55    nmol/L

Red blood cell count                      4.94    10*9/L 

Total white cell count                      3.2      10*9/L

Neutrophil count                             1.2      10*9/L

Lymphocytle count                          1.6      10*9/L

Monocytle count                              0.3     10*9/L

Eosinophil count                            0.10     10*9/L

Basophil count                               0.00     10*9/L

Serum vitamin B12                      >2000     ng/L

Combined total Vit D2+D3               168    nmol/L

Serum cholesterol                              5.0 mmol/L

Serum triglycerides                            1.5 nmol/L

Serum HDL cholestrial level               1.3 nmol/L

calculated LDL cholesterol level         3.0 nmol/L

total cholestrial:HDL ratio                   3.8 (fasting sample)

(a bit about mmol/l is millimoles/liter and mg/dl as was curious)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/faq/part1/section-9.html

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Coriander / cilantro is meant to help removing mercury from the brain. You can get drops of oil to use as part of a mercury detox.
  • edited October 2014

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    Those taking ashwaghanda: what dosage and when? I'd like to use it to improve sleep but I'm under the impression it acts like a stimulant in some people. Looking to tinker with the jarrow sensoril brand, what's a good starting point?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I have identified two hundred and nine genes in the regulation of human white blood cells.  I have been working on making some general conclusions and categorizing my information into the following groups:

1) immune activation

There are a class of herbs that contain N-phenylpropenoines that mimic the toxic effects of infection triggering the release of leukocytes.  I have designed a series of herbs that are designed to stimulate the immune system in such a way:

Rehmannia root, cuscuta seed, punarnava root, echinacea root,  and golden seal root

2) pro and anti inflammation differential

According to research, COX expression and inhibition up-regulates the immune system.  It reminds me of Jack Kruse's cold thermogenisis protocol, but for the blood.  I have decided that devising a protocol is too risky without being monitored by a physician.

3) glucocorticoid receptor activation

When stimulated, glucocorticoid receptors prevent the release of T cells.  For this we look at herbs that will promote de novo genesis, and reduction of sterols.

Pretty much any rhizome will do the trick.  Garlic, shitake mushrooms, and Siberian ginseng stack well too.

4) emotional

This one was fascinating to me.  Social isolation wrecks the immune system.  Meditation might prove to be an effective tool along with:

ashwaghanda root, astragalus root, oldenlandia pycnogenol, and carthamus flower.

Stick to one protocol at a time and monitor your results.  If you are doing well, stick with it, if not, move on to the next.

• @brainstorm11

You know that wouldn't surprise us at all. Grown fresh for a supermarket and growing fresh from a wild source are two entirely different concepts.

Think about the hybrid techniques and growing technology used to mass produce store bought so called fresh herbs and spices. Now compare that to the wild varieties that exist on the planet. Pretty sure if we examine this further with data we could find reasons and examples why this is the case? The nuclius of a seed pod is very likely to contain more than the leaf but might not always be the case.

It's the placenta of life for the plant to grow. Could be worth researching the properties of stem, leaf, seed and fruit not to mention dried or fresh. Flavor and smell need not be as important as we are lead to believe.

Don't even get us started on the storage of herbs and spices. The mycotoxins caused by bad storage etc...has been covered in another thread. Dave "The Canary" has plenty to say about that there.

There`s a great article about the assessment of microbiological safety of dried spices and herbs here too:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11130-010-0186-0#page-1

Lastly, further natural causes of why some plants produce toxins biologically to repel or counter diseases etc...

These do change the nutrients of the plants themselves and should be looked at too.

Wow thanks for linking that study! I never knew it was really that bad, thank god I'm not buying any dried spices. I've been growing my own and only occasionally would pick up some at a farmer's market where they've been harvested within the same week. I sometimes really wonder how "regular people" working 2 jobs could become bulletproof.. they don't have time to find all this stuff and make an elaborate decision in the supermarket.

the system around you is not necessarily aligned with your incentives in mind

memento mori

• NickatNickat
    edited February 2015

Those taking ashwaghanda: what dosage and when? I'd like to use it to improve sleep but I'm under the impression it acts like a stimulant in some people. Looking to tinker with the jarrow sensoril brand, what's a good starting point?

Never taken Ashwagandha but am thinking on rotating that with Astragalus to see just how that makes me feel.

The comparison might reflect in a blood test but IDK.

Update: So embarking on taking we found this study on significant increases in white blood cell counts and platelet counts  observed in, yeah, animals.

Should be interesting next time a blood count is taken.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10616957

Beginning to think that taking it as a liquid extract might be easier over the course of a day (3 dosages).

Ratio of herb to alcohol  1:2 (1ml is the equivalent of 500mg of dried herb) so 0.6ml per dose

Downside is the alcohol is grain derived. Upside is that this technique gets the purest gains from the plant as an extract.

Still sitting on the fence about this form though.

As Jason has explained to us getting a consistent dose from a plant is difficult at best.

Manufacturers just can not guarantee it being the same every time.

Have been taking 5 HTP and a B complex (for added B6) for sleep but now thinking of dropping 5HTP to replace with L-Theanine instead. Will keep taking Passion Flower and Valerian as a stack and combine with Ashwagandha. 5 HTP seemed to be having little effect in terms of sleep quality and serotonin dumps with B vits now an issue.

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

^^^

Will be sticking to one protocol at a time and monitor the  results. 

Decided to give Astragulas tincture the fist shot. Then Ashwagandha as a comparison later.

(So far the bigest noticible difference is how astragulas raises body temp...almost a sweat. Taking this with ginger is going to hot things up a little).

Will keep *Rhizome Stack and Rehmannia as constants to begin with. Then make changes if need be. 

Small steps first.

Thinking of getting the liquid extract forms (Siberian ginseng, ginger tincture)and adding to raw honey and creatine making an infusion in cold green tea** as an ode to Evil Genius. To that add the astragulas or ashwagandha tinture.

* Slow cooked garlic and butter and shitake mushrooms maybe.....lol.

Might be easier and healthier to take the extracts daily though.

** Will be using Green tea extract in the form of EGCG (EGCG is purified from the leaves of green tea) where

Catechin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catechin) is higher.

EGCG extract comes in various concentrations: 95%, 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% and this is reflected by color:

90% ,95% are off-white to pale pink powder (Max. 0.1% Caffeine)

80% 70%, 60% Milk yellow to light yellow powder (Max. 0.5% Caffeine)

This is a Collaboration so thoughts anyone.

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

Green tea extract in the form of EGCG warning

The antioxidant activity of EGCG is said to be 25-100 times more potent than vitamins C and E.

Green tea is said provides 10-40mg of polyphenols and it`s antioxidant activity surpass broccoli, spinach, carrots or strawberries.

But the green tea extract has had critisism when it comes to dosage. High amounts of catechins are said to cause harm (although to a larger part this may not necessarily be true or reliable):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964900/

Please don`t think that this is a replacement for drinking green tea.

It should be treated with some caution when dosing.

Slightly off topic but worth reading about at this point is the PAGG stack developed by Tim Ferriss :

P olicosanol: 20–25 mg
    A lpha-lipoic acid: 100–300 mg (or 150mg R-ALA equivalent to 300 mg of ALA)
    G reen tea flavanols (decaffeinated with at least 325 mg EGCG): 325 mg
    G arlic extract: 200 mg (aged garlic best)

Take a B complex vitamin which reduces blood glucose levels and is important when supplementing with ALA. ALA interferes with regular biotin synthesis so take 250 mcg of Biotin.

Have been informed that schedule is followed for six days a week with one day off each week.

One week off every two months.

http://fourhourbody.org/diet-supplements-the-pagg-stack-four-hour-body-supplements/

It offers some insight.

• I'm the First, the Best and the Last!

¯ Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿)͇̿̿)Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿(Ì¿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Tinctures can be made at home with dried or fresh herbs quite easily but for a more concentrated form of the herb an extract is needed. Sounds obvious right?

Well it is but just make sure you know what you’re getting when using a liquid extract. So when dosing with the liquid extract know it is normally measured in drops.

Be aware that there is quite a high ratio of essential oil lost in the preparation of tinctures making it lesser concentrated.

Tinctures are normally an alcohol-base liquid mixture so they can be used to liquefy oil-based substances from plants because they don’t mix with water. A tincture can then be mixed with water if so desired.

The liquid extracts on the other hand can be an alcohol-based or water based mixture. As previously stated the concentrate is normally higher. The ratio of plant to liquid is significantly higher.

It should be noted that there are various levels of extraction that range from crude to higher grades.  Sometimes meticulous and precise standards are used in the extraction process. This can make distinctive differences to the characteristic of the plant.

The glycerin and organic apple cider vinegar tintures are free from alcohol and offer a better BP alternative when makining your own. Thanks Evil Genius. Root Ginger would be an excellent choice using this method for sure. Dosage:15-20 drops

• FatdudeFatdude
    edited August 2014

A great way to eat herbs is a chimichurri sauce. Depending on the variation it includes cilantro, oregano, and parsley. 

I've also been drinking some ginger water lately because I have a cold, basically put in a two inch piece of ginger with hot water and turn the vitamix to high for a minute. Pretty tasty. 

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Green tea extract samples came in today (98% and 95%).

Will have to adjust the quantity to see what is best. Thinking of 1/16 of a teaspoon (300mg).

Decided on adding Siberian ginseng, ginger, raw honey and creapure to the herbal infusion.

output_zpsrbhljhgz.jpg

As you can see they are off-white in colour (the 98% seems very slightly paler pink).

Max. 0.1% Caffeine in each.

Dave talks about Green tea, the extract, EGCG and PAGG: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/green-tea-bulletproof-coffee-better-together-for-an-even-better-brain/

The reason why the EGCG herbal compound was chosen is of course because of the rich polyphenols.

The raw leaves of green tea are probably too weak and the inconsistent in strength from batch to batch and can varry the potential of health benefits. This has been pointed out on the thread.

The same could be argued on most fruits and vegetables. Yet adaptions of herbal compounds can be refined and extractions made from them. Garlic and curcumin would also be well worth looking at.

(Wish we had BP extracted herbal compounds Dave).

Natural Products as Sources of New Drugs over the 30 Years from 1981 to 2010

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3721181/
  • NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Controversial Saigon Cinnamon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17924872

Two teaspoon of cinnamon a day is ‘’said’’ to improve fasting glucose.

The effects are said to be immediate and are sustained for 12hrs.

For best results try an N=1 for 20 days and test results daily. Add to coffee for convenience.

If anyone is up for that and posting their results that would be make this less controversial on our BP diet.

Cinnamaldehyde is the compound that gives cinnamon its flavor and odor. It is this that is found in the bark of cinnamon trees as an essential oil (90% cinnamaldehyde).

The taste reflects the quality due to content of these cinnamaldehyde. The Ceylon Cinnamon is of a worse quality because of this and that is why Saigon is possibly better than the average cinnamon spice off the grocery shelf.

The addition of cinnamon really is a short term solution and not an every day one.

Further reading: http://www.muscleforlife.com/use-cinnamon-to-improve-insulin-sensitivity/

• I thought it was 1 tsp... and it has to be ceylon organic.....

• NickatNickat
    edited February 2015

I thought it was 1 tsp... and it has to be ceylon organic.....

Hi megs, great question.

Cinnamon types:
    http://riceandcurry.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/ceylon-cinnamon-vs-cassia-i-e-saigon-cinnamon/

So your right if your going to use it for best 'so called' medicinal quality.

But…

It’s all about the cinnamon oil or really the cinnamaldehyde content regarding taste.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?uid=15934022&cmd=showdetailview&indexed=google

Don’t waste your money with the more expensive type. Don't use the Saigon is our opinion in this hack.

The coumarin content is too high. Use the Ceylon.

You'll note the study says 5g. (3g is a teaspoon). 6g is two teaspoons per 'day'.

If your going to try this as a study may we suggest you drink two coffees each with 3g or a teaspoon in each.

This maybe reduced if your sensitivities are high.

Lastly the reason why this is a short term solution and should not be an every day one is because there are studies that say that cinnamon contains high-ish levels of coumarin which 'could' encourage liver damage (over a prolonged period). Of course the levels of coumarin will differ from different bark samples too.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691511006703

Probably best to use this as a short term 20 day hack tool.

(Although some have used cinnamon daily for years).

Note: (http://www.bfr.bund.de/en/frequently_asked_questions_about_coumarin_in_cinnamon_and_other_foods-8487.html)

No maximum level has been established for coumarin as yet. Consumer safety is, however, ensured by the general food law provisions which prohibit the marketing of “unsafe foods”. Furthermore, BfR believes it would be prudent to establish maximum coumarin levels for cinnamon. BfR will prepare the scientific basis for this. If coumarin-containing plant parts like cinnamon are used for flavouring, then the amount of coumarin is limited to 2 milligrams per kilogram food according to the Flavourings Ordinance.

Food manufacturers and importers are responsible for ensuring compliance with maximum levels. They may not place harmful foods on the market.

For coumarin levels see Daz explanations:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12334-best-cinnamon/#entry95114

It has been summarized well there.

If you got Diabetes, watch this, you might be surprised:

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014
    Green tea extract update:

No jitteriness like that of caffeine (tried Caffeine and L-Theanine once and that was too jittery). No sleep issues or negative effects so far. The powder is hard to estimate on a teaspoon so capsule will be easier to dose (will buy 300mg capsules next time). Thermogeniesis and the increase in the rate of metabolism of fat certainly seems to work with a slight increase in heart rate but no undesirable effects. No anxiety feelings and feeling pretty good. The ginger and astragulas certainly warm you up and have an effect. Can`t help but think that all this does help the body burn more calories. This will be a great combo for winter and outdoor work for sure. The honey and creapure combines well in the infusion and tastes pretty good too. Just one teaspoon honey and good to go. Still need to add the ginseng but this will come later now. Am Happy and recommend you try it.

Alcohol prepared tinctures have a real kick to them and don’t like them so will be sticking to the powdered forms from now on out of preference.
    Have added the Siberian ginseng now in a pill form (yep another pill). It could be grounded down to form a powder but it's convenient. Energy is up and so far although the colds have already started at work...Good to Go. The green tea extract is awesome for fat loss. That is confirmed.

Update and reminder:

If you supplement with iodine take away from any green tea extract. Just in the same way you would for vitamin c. If you want a demo add the extract to your yellow/brown solution and watch it go clear again.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Decided to give Astragulas tincture the fist shot. Then Ashwagandha as a comparison later.

(So far the bigest noticible difference is how astragulas raises body temp...almost a sweat. Taking this with ginger is going to hot things up a little).

Interesting about Astragulas raising your body temp. Just did a quick google & that seems to ring true. 

I will look at buying some astragulas root capsules the next time i place an iherb order & see if they have that effect on me.

fake it till you make it

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Thanks to Classic who posted Dave’s ‘Advanced Supplements’ in a pdf in the thread: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12393-daves-top-ten-supplements/ throws further mention to Astragalus, herbs and their use in BP-ism.

Adaptogen herbs (as Dave puts it):

Adaptogens have stress protecting and stress normalizing effects because they help your adrenal glands create a stronger hormonal response when your system is stressed, and then shut it down faster when the stress stops.

For chronic stress (job stress, over training, etc.)

Adaptogens maintain hypothalamic receptor sensitivity, which significantly delays adrenal exhaustion.

The following adaptogens herbs were mentioned:

Rhodiola Rosea

Ginseng (Asian, Siberian, American species)

Eleutherococcus senticosus is the Siberian species that is strongest

Ashwaganda

Astragalus

Licorice root

Schisandra

Dave suggests:

Your dose and responsiveness may vary to each, but they can help you do and be more than you thought possible, without incurring the physiological cost of stress.

Personally I find that 500mg of Astragalus good start (twice a day if needed).

For the full pdf:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Bulletproof-Top-11-Advanced-Supplements.pdf

Here is a link to a thread already started regarding Adaptogen Herbs:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/11438-adaptogen-herbs/?hl=%2Badaptogen+%2Bherbs

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Tonic Global Herbalists and Superfood Specialists: Meet Joy Coelho  &  Meet Jay Denman

Podcast #145 - Slinging Superfoods & SuperHerbs w/ the JingSlingers

''Jay has custom-made more than 50,000 Herbal Elixirs, Tonics and SuperFood Ice Creams''.

''Joy has conjured up thousands of dishes of Organic Superfood, Sugar-free, Gluten-free Creatively Conscious Comfort Food''.

• Holy Basil....has anyone got any comments. Please contribute if you can.

• Got no comments, but over the weekend a highly knowledgeable employee my local supplement shop (a Phd student in nutritional biochemistry who is well versed in BP) highly recommended it - I plan to check it out.

Holy Basil....has anyone got any comments. Please contribute if you can.

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Holy Basil (please don’t confuse it with sweet basil used in Italian cooking) is another adaptogen herb and as a leaf has peppery taste. You can also use it in cooking or making oils (all have great benefits) but the easiest way to use the herb is as an extract or dry leaf powder.

You might like to try it out first as a remedy for the common cold or a cough by mixing the extract or powder with a little honey or ginger in hot water. If sipped every few hours it will bring a temperature down too. It should work quickly.

Dr. Beverly Yates, Naturopathic Physician, talks more about it’s health benefits uses and dosage here:

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/uploads/1596_HPR_HolyBasil_ResearchPaper-1371567034.pdf

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014
    Capsicum plants and their fruit, chilies, may sometimes make your eyes water but its content ‘capsaicin’ might have added benefits for decreasing weight regain but not weight loss.

Time to try capsaicin and maybe try to combined it with mct. The effects of which have been shown to give positive results for weight maintenance after modest weight loss and oxidization. Capsaicin has also been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels by affecting carbohydrate breakdown after a meal.

There are few long-term studies because of the ‘heat of capsaicin’ so be careful.
    Best used as for a short hack period.

Look for typical values per capsicum capsule of 8:1 which equates to approximately 130mg in content. Doing this from fresh plants is problematic as measuring this amount will always be a guess.
    Please be very careful when consumed and if contact to the skin and eyes is made. Wash off well.
    It is an effective plant irritant defense from animals and humans alike.

Dose: 135mg should not be exceeded in a mix with mct.

For longer hack periods you might want to investigate capsinoids for that less pungency taste. Maybe even try a bell pepper.

Fat oxidization:
    http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Dr-Fo/Fat-Oxidation.html

Effect of capsaicin on substrate oxidation and weight maintenance after modest body-weight loss in human subjects:
    http://www.nutritionsociety.org.uk/bjn/090/0651/0900651.pdf

Capsinoids:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsinoids

Lastly:
    http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3767-nightshades/
  • NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Interesting about Astragulas raising your body temp. Just did a quick google & that seems to ring true. 

I will look at buying some astragulas root capsules the next time i place an iherb order & see if they have that effect on me.

Astragalus update.

Okay so the normal oral body temperature averages out at 37°C (98.6°F) but can fluctuate by 0.6°C (1°F) above or below that. Of course depending how active you are also makes a huge difference but so does the time of the day.

This got me thinking about the timing of the astragalus I have been taking. Really should have looked at that a little more in depth. Sure it heats me up and will undoubtedly make a difference when I need additional help over the winter months. Maybe even help with Seasonal Affective Disorders for all I know too. But it is the daily regulated body temp rhythms that I am most keen on exploiting now. Routinely taking it every day just doesn’t give it any real credit.

On sleeping body temperature drops and on waking there is a body temp rise. This can be explained by sunlight entering the eyes and giving a wakefulness alert feeling due to melatonin decreasing in its concentration. (That’s basically why I want to try a Phillips Wake-Up Light). Anyway there is a slight dip in the afternoon when the body temp decreases before rising again and hitting a higher peek temp by 6pm.

Late mornings are when I feel most alert and early evening when I start to feel less so. Again body temp begins to drop. This cycle repeats itself every day.

The trouble is that because of modern trends in up scaled living we tend to alter these patterns through heating (or cooling) our environment, the use of hot computers and giant sized TV’s (and the list goes on) all influence our body temp as much as the weather outside can.

It’s awareness time and my aim is to pay further attention to when I take astragalus. That dip in the afternoon might be better negotiated with the added rise in temp. Boosting the morning’s effect might be nice on cold days and maybe keeping it away from mealtime’s altogether and anywhere in the evening too.

Tried ashwaghanda two nights in a row, first at 4pm as I wasn't sure if it would stimulate me, then again at 7pm the next night. Pretty happy with results. Have a bottle of holy basil have not used it.

Guitarist:

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• NickatNickat
    edited May 2015

Tried ashwaghanda two nights in a row, first at 4pm as I wasn't sure if it would stimulate me, then again at 7pm the next night. Pretty happy with results. Have a bottle of holy basil have not used it.

That's awesome. Nice feedback and am looking forward to trying ashwagandha soon.

Let us know how the holy basil goes.

Decided to add the ashwagandha to our stack today. Started with a low dose 500 mg but might up to 1000 mg twice a day.

Currently taking at 3pm to see what happens re: sleep/stimulant/anything else. 

Update: 

Decided that the ashwaganda is kryptonite. The headaches, sweats and general feeling of being unwell has made me think I have some sort of allergy to it. No thyroid tightening as some people have reported and no feeling of dizziness as others have mentioned from it. Have cycled it on and off and have taken it for a month to no benefit and so as much as I wanted this to work, it`s now off my list to take. 

edited September 2014

That's awesome. Nice feedback and am looking forward to trying ashwaghanda soon.

Let us know how the holy basil goes.

Will do. Thanks for the holy basil info above :) I think the rat studies on lowered fasting blood glucose are promising. I'll see if I can quantify that with a BG monitor.

Guitarist:

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Siberian Ginseng Update(Nic) :

Energy was initially up but has now reverted to my norm quickly. Dosage was 250mg at start and had to move it up to 550mg.

Taking the dose twice daily and thinking on taking three times a day (doesn't`t seem to inhibit sleep at all). Works well with astragalus in that it seems to combat stress related cold symptoms.

Plenty of colds around at work and still going strong. Happy with the combo.

Decided to keep it at twice daily at 600mg each time. Energy up again.