Nutritional Benefits Of Herbs In The Bp Diet.

124»

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2015

Oh, this is so interesting! I'd love to see a full infographic and contribute to it. Herbs and spices are so crucial, I think, and I appreciate the diligence on quality.

There are so many ways to organize--from what part of the world/medical system (Chinese, Ayurveda, Amazonian, Native American, European), what part of the plant (or insect) is used, what season of the year, and what qualities it has, just for starters.

Nickat--appreciated your thoughts on dandelion, and wanted to add that another neat thing with dandelion is you can use every part of the plant depending on the season/life cycle. Dandelion greens are also cleansing to the liver in early spring--"spring cleaning." You can make wine and vinegar from the flowers. And the root, yes, a long slow tea, but I make tinctures from the root for more concentrated liver medicine, sometimes in combination with some ginger. Burdock's another good companion.

Excellent to see you on board with The Sirocco Plan ela. That's the thing about creating a full infographic of this nature...it opens up a wealth of information by those in the know and actually practice what they preach.

All that needs to be done is to adopt Dave's BP findings and back up the research with unbiased medical papers on the examples used.

May we suggest that anyone reading or wanting to participate in the contribution of this infographic do so by submitting their ideas (here in this thread) in the same format as used by Dave to begin with.

A short description as to the thoughts behind it etc... Maybe then when we have a collection of data and as a collective, we agreement a strategy to formulate the actual infographic(s).

All welcome.

• I strongly agree about superiority of oil infused herbs. Before we start designing infographic We need to create an outline of facts we want to include. First we should start by collecting data. Please include reason why you think a particular herb is important enough that we should include it, because we wont be able to include all of them;also links or names of studies are very appreciated. I think that format below would be good for organising facts about each plant.

Herb\Plant Name:

Role: Detox\ImmuneRegulation\Testosterone\Cardiovascular\Muscle etc. By role I mean a category in which the herb works

Effect: Stops Gallbladder stone formation\ Lowers triglicerids count etc. Basiccally Include ALL of the effects the plant has

Form: Tincture\Oil extract\ Capsuled Powder\ Capsuled Extract\ Tea etc. Form in which herb can be used; best absorption in bold

Dosing: X ml of tincture 2 times a day etc. Simply recommended dosage.

Warnings: Do not use while pregnat etc. All side effects, Interactions need to be extensively researched

Other: Include all commentary you want, especially notable facts and best brands (if available)

There are so many ways to organize--from what part of the world/medical system (Chinese, Ayurveda, Amazonian, Native American, European), what part of the plant (or insect) is used, what season of the year, and what qualities it has, just for starters.

Nice to see interest! I think that organising it by effect types would be best, because effect the herb has matters the most.

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    edited January 2015

Does piperine have similar effects to the compound in grapefruit juice? Something in grapefruit juice binds to and enzyme in your intestinal tract known as CYP3A4 which slows down your body's ability to process foreign compounds.

I don't think I'd mess with this (particularly on a daily basis). Considering the abundance of toxins in our world, are you sure you want to reduce your bodies ability to deal with them on a daily basis?

This study makes it look like it just increases absorption of drugs, but what does that mean in layman's terms? Sounds like increased gut permeability which is usually a bad thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20492299

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2015

Does piperine have similar effects to the compound in grapefruit juice? Something in grapefruit juice binds to and enzyme in your intestinal tract known as CYP3A4 which slows down your body's ability to process foreign compounds.

I don't think I'd mess with this (particularly on a daily basis). Considering the abundance of toxins in our world, are you sure you want to reduce your bodies ability to deal with them on a daily basis?

This study makes it look like it just increases absorption of drugs, but what does that mean in layman's terms? Sounds like increased gut permeability which is usually a bad thing.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20492299

A single glass of grapefruit juice has the potential to augment the oral bioavailability and to enhance the beneficial or adverse effects of a broad range of medications, even by juice consumed hours beforehand. Grapefruit juice acts by inhibiting presystemic drug metabolism mediated by CYP3A isoforms in the small bowel. 

It seems similar in interaction with some medicines  : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1873672/

• As far as I'm concerned piperin works by enhancing bloodflow in intestines, allowing faster nutrient absorption; it also increases stomach acid acidity. Its also strong PDE4 inhibitor, I wonder if it would make good addition to CILTEP?

As for Infographic development: I'm currently working on adaptogenics. Decided to write about Schisandra, Rhodiola, Eleutherococcus, Uncaria (Cat's claw/ AC11) and panax ginseng.

I think that five herbs for each category are enough. What do You think? I may expand after plotting basic design, don't really know how much I informations I can put...

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2015

As far as I'm concerned piperin works by enhancing bloodflow in intestines, allowing faster nutrient absorption; it also increases stomach acid acidity. Its also strong PDE4 inhibitor, I wonder if it would make good addition to CILTEP?

As for Infographic development: I'm currently working on adaptogenics. Decided to write about Schisandra, Rhodiola, Eleutherococcus, Uncaria (Cat's claw/ AC11) and panax ginseng.

I think that five herbs for each category are enough. What do You think? I may expand after plotting basic design, don't really know how much I informations I can put...

Sounds great.

For adaptogenics we thought these would be a good start:

Rhodiola rosea, Ginseng (In particular Eleutherococcus senticosus as this is the Siberian species that is strongest), Gynostemma Pentaphyllum and Schisandra. Looks like we are almost on the same page here.

We posted a little about Panax Ginseng here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/14090-anybody-here-have-any-type-2-diabetes-insights/page-2#entry111190

The other herbs we broke down into categories of: Flower, Seeds, Stem, Leaves, Bark, Resin and Root. We left out fruit as a category to save confusion right now but don`t see why this shouldn't be added later.

So along those lines we thought the following would be BP:

Seeds/Beans

Vanilla seeds

Rosehip seeds

Cocoa bean

Piperine (extract from Black Pepper)

Cloves seed      

Cardamom seed 

Milk Thistle Daisy (Silybum marianum) seeds *

*Silibinin or silybin (both extracts from Silybum marianum seeds that make up traditional milk thistle mixture)

Flowers

Linden flowers

Chamomile flowers

Dandelion flowers

Carthamus flower

Leaves

Peppermint leaves 

Holy Basil leaves 

Oregano leaves 

Stevia (extracted from leaves}

Linden leaves

Cilantro or Coriander leaves

Green tea (Extract EGCG)

Red bush tea 

Ginkgo Biloba (Extract from the leaves of the Ginkgo tree)     

Tree Bark (whole and not ground)

Ceylon Cinnamon bark  

Slippery Elm bark

Linden bark

Root or underground stem (rhizomes)

Dandelion root

Liquorice root  

Marshmallow root

Ginger root   

Turmeric (Curcumin extract from turmeric) 

Ashwaganda root

Astragulus root 

Resin from Tree

Mastic gum

As you can see we particularly think it important to add herb extracts as we believe that they are beneficial in another form (BP and controlled in dosage).  Adaptogenics herbs regulate up or down, so dosage less of a problem.

As far as dosage in general, we think herbs are there to tweak our diet and not treat an illness or health condition on their own. 

You're right about putting the info down on each, but hey, anyone interested can look them up (dosage,interactions etc..) and conclude the value of using them or not. Must say the case study data available are unfortunately sketchy by scientific standards on quite a few. Maybe N=1 and reviews here on the thread will come in time and help us all out (positive or not). Time will tell. Help needed guys and gals.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

...don't forget stinging nettle, that can be added under leaves And root

fake it till you make it

• Does anyone know if Chinese medicinal herbs in loose tea or powdered drink form ( like Jing City, which I've heard great things about) are generally susceptible to molds, fungus, or other toxins thus making them not Bulletproof? I'd love to add herbalism to this lifestyle and loose teas and powders are highly recommended by "herbal" guys I've talked with.

Thanks!
  • NickatNickat
    edited January 2015

Does anyone know if Chinese medicinal herbs in loose tea or powdered drink form ( like Jing City, which I've heard great things about) are generally susceptible to molds, fungus, or other toxins thus making them not Bulletproof? I'd love to add herbalism to this lifestyle and loose teas and powders are highly recommended by "herbal" guys I've talked with.

Thanks!

Is this a tasty herbal tea that delivers the exacting standards of the Bulletproof Process that includes being imported fresh in a loose leaf form from a single estate?

Does it have to be grown at altitude and washed then dried in a particular way before packaging?

Should it be non-fermented tea that has a little caffeine in it to reduce mold issues?

Is the material used to carry it really safe?

And the question list could go on… Sorry have no idea but...

What we do say though is: A tea with beneficial properties that does have some science to back up the research in the form of proven scientific research goes a very long way in our book of knowledge. We both drink forms of Red Bush, Green Tea and a few other herbal teas without toxic problems of molds. We don`t suffer from brain fog but everyone is different.

Check to see how fresh the leaves are and if the process of production is seriously monitored or not. Research the properties of the blend and the combination of herbs within it. What dosage are these blends and would they benefit you at all anyway as a good detox etc...?

A little advice about powdered: Although Matcha Green Tea is powdered we think you should be extremely careful as to quality and age because it may possibly harbour more mycotoxins. This could be a problem regardless

of blend. It`s a storage issue.

Here`s a an article from Truth Calkins that talks about Jing City to get you started on your research:

http://www.thelongevitynowconference.com/bonus/Truth_Jing_City.pdf

May we also recommend you look at:

http://www.dragonherbs.com/qualitycontrol.asp

It is interesting to note that in the case of the adaptogenic grass leaved plant called Gynostemma Pentaphyllum, that is more desirable to have cultivated plants grown at a higher (than it`s normal lower) altitude. The water is purer (more natural water source) and the less bitter taste can be further eliminated. So in this case farmed herbs are more desirable than naturally grown ones. Amazingly this little cucumber family derived plant is said to have sweet scent that later tastes bitter but leaves a sweet aftertaste.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23173881

Anyone tried it?. 

• Thanks NicKat!
  • NickatNickat
    edited May 2015

Might be useful at a glance.

http://calorielab.com/foods/herbs-and-spices/49

tip: By adding cayenne and mct to your meal increases DIT by over 50%. That`s weight loss and preventive weight gain or regain. Just make sure you are not sensitive to either as food sources.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15507147
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23179202

Add lemon to add fuel to your fire with some salt as mind blowing shot or make your own hot sauce.

20150131_190802_zpssz21vovx.jpg

It`s much better if you make a chili paste from fresh chillies instead of the powdered form (paste will be less concentrated so use much more liberally).

If you like you can store your assembled ingredients in ice cubes in the fridge (bagged) and it should last over 4 months.

Okay I know some of you that meditate don't like the use of garlic, but by adding raw garlic cloves to this mix adds flavour and health benefits: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-raw-garlic-vs-cooked-garlic-6010.html Just don`t heat it up.

• NickatNickat
    edited February 2015

http://traffic.libsyn.com/superhumanentrepreneur/SE006_Jesse_Vander_Veld.mp3

Jesse is Europe’s #1 Superfood expert. And in this show he gives the top strategies to help you become superhuman through the type of superfoods you should eat.

Thanks Dr.Jones some great stuff on adaptogens.

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2015

Top 7 herbs and spices and why they work so well for your body and mind.

They are:

1. Turmeric                      iStock_000011723204_Large-300x201.jpg
    2. Cayenne                      iStock_000014911622_Full-300x200.jpg
    3. Ginger                          iStock_000013398712_XXXLarge-300x200.jpg
    4. Cinnamon                        iStock_000015542076_Double-300x228.jpg     
  • NickatNickat
    edited March 2015
    1. Cloves                           iStock_000007420799_Large-300x206.jpg
    2. Sage                                      iStock_000015521476_XXXLarge-200x300.jpg
    3. Rosemary                    iStock_000016007521_Large-254x300.jpg

Find out more:   https://www.bulletproofexec.com/best-anti-inflammatory-herbs-and-spices/

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2015

One of the simplest things you can do to increase your performance is to toss out opened, dried spices that are more than a few months old.

DO IT NOW.... big-tick.jpg

20150307_151607_zpshlwhdops.jpg

• Some more on rosemary:

http://elaharrison.com/blog/item/herb-of-the-spell-rosemary-for-remembrance

--And I will aim to be more proactive on this thread now!

• Some more on rosemary:

http://elaharrison.com/blog/item/herb-of-the-spell-rosemary-for-remembrance

--And I will aim to be more proactive on this thread now!

Chew a leaf or two. Make a vinegar for your scalp. Or just crush and bruise a few leaves and add to your water, or add a few leaves to your tea or coffee. In cold and flu season, you could add crushed/bruised leaves to honey and leave it for a week, and the honey will extract the aromatic compounds. You can then use the honey with a vinegar or tea, great cold-chaser and opener of mucous membranes.

What an awesome idea and way to use Rosemary and what an outstanding article you wrote on your blog. We both truly hope to see you be as proactive as you like here Ela.

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2015
    Earlier in the the thread Holy Basil was mentioned. I`m sure they were talking about the seed oil type but Tulsi tea also know as Holy Basil has been a godsend. The cumulative effects it has had in improving the stress and symptoms of it have been remarkable over time. Normally reuse the organic loose tea leaves a few times and have had it hot and cold as a beverage. It tastes wonderful either way. With all the talk about BP Iced tea lately have decided to do the same with the tea. Crushed ice, brewed cold Tulsi tea with basil and mint infusions. The different combinations of tea leaves that make up the tea are said to have anti-inflammatory effects and are particularly good for digestion. For a hot cuppa of Tulsi tea adding collagen, cardamom, butter and MCT gives an excellent malty taste.

20150516_190740_zpsrkzxbl6p.jpg

Talking here a little about tea and leaf combinations, does anyone combine green tea with black Pu erh tea to reduce the caffeine ratios or do you find that the 10% caffeine found in the concentration of brewed leaves just not worth the effort? Asking as drinking caffeine as a byproduct in any form after 2pm has been suggested as a taboo by Dave because of sleep issues.

Okay so Tim Ferris has said steeping the first pot of tea and pouring that batch away and brewing and steeping you're tea afterwoods again reduces caffeine. Apparently this is used often in tea prep from several cultures from around the world. So steep...pour away and then brew again to reduce caffeine. Maybe we should search for study papers on that one.
  • You said:

Talking here a little about tea and leaf combinations, does anyone combine green tea with black Pu erh tea to reduce the caffeine ratios or do you find that the 10% caffeine found in the concentration of brewed leaves just not worth the effort? Asking as drinking caffeine as a byproduct in any form after 2pm has been suggested as a taboo by Dave because of sleep issues.

Btw, agree that tulsi is wonderful, and I like it very well combined with green tea. Another combination that's wonderful, and tastes great, is tulsi+astragalus.

Re pu-erh and green tea, I find they are comparably stimulating, and the smoky/fermented taste of the pu-erh overwhelms the more subtle green tea so may not be worthwhile. I love them both, don't get me wrong. I might put a bit of matcha in with pu-erh. I like white tea also.

Of course different people have different caffeine clearance. But I find 2pm to be a pretty good cut off. On the other hand, I just got an insight today that maybe I need to take a break from caffeine period.

• On a different subject, using herbs for gut health:

Back in January/February, I posted quite a bit about all the gut issues I was having--SIBO-type symptoms, a lot of pain/gas/bloating. 

This had gotten so much better as I focused more on a ketogenic bp diet, gradually opening up to more animal products, less fiber, less veg (!) but most of all, working intensively with herbs.

My gut had gotten so bad because of fasting so much. I blamed binge/purging, but reading my journals there was always some heroic fast before a binge/purge and that's where the pain would come up.

So there I did it again with 2 weeks of the RFLP. My guts were all the way back to sleepless January, pain, weakness.

And I'm so grateful and delighted to be able to say that I'm better now! A week of working with the herbs.

Here's what I did:

(1) Calendula infusion (strong infusion of the flowers steeped in water for several hours). This is one of the main herbs that's been helping me in recent months. I continued with it but upped the strength of the infusion

(2) strong Comfrey infusion

(3) Peppermint--IMPORTANT--this is a great example of how different potency of an herb can hugely impact how it works. Peppermint "tea" (the leaves just steeped in hot water for a few minutes) would give me heartburn. I tend to low stomach acid, and peppermint tea is super alkaline. 

But you know wise folks like John Brisson recommend enteric-coated peppermint _oil_ for SIBO, and other herbalists know that stronger peppermint preparations can help with small-intestinal inflammation.

So, I started with peppermint spirits (=the essential oil diluted in alcohol), a few drops on a teaspoon of xylitol. The latter as a mild anti-microbial as well as a carrier for the peppermint spirits. I did this three times a day. 

When it was obvious that this was helping, I made a very strong infusion of peppermint leaves, as in about an ounce of leaves steeped overnight. This is a very different preparation than "tea"--not just the aromatic compounds but everything else as well gets extracted with this sort of time and proportion.

I am drinking this infusion mostly combined with my calendula and comfrey infusions, because it is so strong. Occasionally, I'm drinking just a small amount of it straight.

(4) With meals, I'm taking Iberogast sometimes, but sometimes also using my own bitters preparation, a tincture of grapefruit and bitter orange peels, cloves, cardamom, and fennel. As needed.

It's my own fault that I put myself in the position of having such terrible gut pain again, but I feel extremely grateful, and somewhat validated as an herbalist, that I've been able to help myself.

• That's interesting knowledge you shared Ela, do you combine herbs with bone broths? The two would work well for gut healing. Any recipes of combinations to inspire us?
  • That is a great question! 

Last week a whole bunch of people told me I "looked better," even not having known that I'd been fasting and then had to work on healing. One of my friends I confessed I'd been fasting, and she was quite upset, and she very very much wanted to give me some of her bone broth!

So obviously there's something there. I'm not quite ready yet, but in terms of my move away from veganism, I'm eating eggs more frequently and sardines/anchovies too, and I've always jived with the idea of bone broth, skins/bones/organs/marrow... And interestingly, I find myself perusing the meat sections at the grocery store lately, where I never used to even be aware of them. I guess since I've dropped fruit and many of the veg that used to be my staples maybe it's understandable.

Am traveling right now/not much internet/kitchen but when I get home, if I do end up jumping into bone broth, I'll love to share some ideas on these lines.

I'm thinking, though, that things like carrot tops that often get thrown out would be great in broth.

This might sound really goofy too, but remember the stone soup fable? I have seriously found myself wondering whether it would be beneficial to put healing crystals in one's bone broth. Good minerals, etc...

• @megs1768

It will not take very much cilantro for the dextox effect.  A teaspoon of cilantro contains enough phenolic compounds to safely remove quite a bit of toxic material from the body for elimination.

I was just reading recently that it is good to take chlorella with cilantro, because while cilantro to is good at detoxing, it is not very good at mobilizing and eliminating toxins like chlorella does.

http://naturalsociety.com/proper-heavy-metal-chelation-cilantro-chlorella/
  • For this to be accurate, there would need to be a human transport protein that accepts chlorella into the cell/plasma in order to work systemically.  Have you identified such a protein?

• Try vegetables with turmeric, curry and a little piece of ginger, too!!

• I remember hearing something about holy basil removing fluoride from water. The leaf, not extracts.

• Is calcium even that important? Asian cultures thrive on very low calcium but get plenty of vitamin D.

124»