Nutritional Benefits Of Herbs In The Bp Diet.

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Thought we’d draw attention that sometimes herbs combined with certain drug combos can have drastic effect.

Little has been mentioned here on the forum. Something to keep in mind.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/beware-of-risky-herb-drug-combos/index.htm

newdrugchart0701.gif

• That interaction chart is quite an indicator of how powerful herbs are.

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Coriander / cilantro is meant to help removing mercury from the brain. You can get drops of oil to use as part of a mercury detox.

Coriander / cilantro (Chinese Parsley) is so good at removing heavy metals. Dr Dietrich Klinghardt claims that it can cross the blood-brain barrier. By getting into the central nervous system it does its work within the brain. Because it is so efficient at doing it's detox it can cause  re-toxification. That's to say it leaves some of the heavy metals in connective tissues. His solution is to always take with at least one chelator. Use chlorella or zeolites as both are considered Bulletproof.

Build your dosage up from a few drops twice a day to three times a day and more drops until you dump excessive bile (your gallblader works overtime). Take the chelator of choice at last 30mins before the drops.

Please note the above info was from Dr Dietrich Klinghardt claims and not personal N=1.

Stevo if you have decided to take these steps as a detox please share.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I don't know when my amalgams were all removed many years back but they are certainly gone now. I did buy some cilantro oil from iHerb just for the hell of it since it was a cheap thing to add to an existing order. I've been doing up to 15 drops in water in the morning - the water I use to swallow my morning supps, which includes a few chlorella tablets.

On some days I've noticed an extremely clear feeling in my head but I couldn't say it was the cilantro for sure. I think if you take it with a chelator, I don't see there's any harm in making it a permanent part of your morning.

• Interesting info here, I'll have to try it out. Haven't experimented much with herbs. Would like to grow my own though.

• Feel like this topic should be pinned so it is always on the front page.. Highly suggest attempting to grow your own herbs to the person above this, as well as anyone else.

Interesting info here, I'll have to try it out. Haven't experimented much with herbs. Would like to grow my own though.

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014

Like the idea of grow your own. Have looked at ''herb wall's'' and ''vertical gardens'' for inspiration: http://www.inspirationgreen.com/herb-walls.html

Space is a little restricted for us. For a easy fix try an eco ''pallet garden'': http://www.ecohome.net/news/latest/recycled-creative-functional-pallet-garden-huge-success-canada-blooms-2012

We have even read articles where some people have hooked up a live fish sumps and continually recycle the by products (nitrites, nitrate's and ammonia} from the fish water as soil fertilisers.

If anyone has thoughts/experience please post.

• Thanks for posting that.. Going to look into doing the herb wall inside. Seems perfect.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

That interaction chart is quite an indicator of how powerful herbs are.

And why you might not want to take the "Shotgun" approach when it comes to supplementing.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014

Capsicum and Green tea update:

Turns out that as a plant extract capsicum powder combined with green tea extract can reduce oxidised stress in malignant cells. The study claims that this reduction of oxidised stress works equally well for those that have cancer or those without. The nrf2 measurement levels indicated this. The study was said to note that although 15% reduction of this oxidised stress could be reduced by

Green tea extract alone, it was only when combined with the Capsicum powder, that it could further reduce oxidised stress levels up to 50%.

The Capsicum used was non pungent (not hot chilies) and luckily for us helps keep our cells healthy by protecting them. Not bad for a natural herbal formula for longevity.

re:http://www.researchgate.net/publication/258632775_Oxidative_stress_reduced_by_a_green_tea_concentrate_and_capsicum_combination_synergistic_effects

Looking further into TeaFense (the product referred) you will note that their product is ten times greater than Green tea extract and one hundred times stronger than EGCG.

re:http://www.newproductsplus.net/teafense.html

Maybe we should take account and see if either the 'Green tea extract' or 'Capsicum' will further ''enhance'' other supplementations we take. e.g. Upgradedâ„¢ Glutathione Force ?

Although take note http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121217102653.htm

The Capsicum thought to be used is Long pepper (Piper longum) http://www.nutricargo.com/pepper-long-41-powdered-extract?language=en&currency=GBP but the molecule isolate called 'piperlongumine' selectively blocks the Nrf2 program in cancer cells, sparing normal cells from toxicity.

(It's not black or white pepper btw but a similar plant type).

re:https://www.caymanchem.com/app/template/Article.vm/article/2168

What is interesting is that the Green tea extract in the TeaFense study ruled Green tea extract higher than EGCG. Wonder what concentration (%) purity EGCG it was though?

Also in light of the new evidence in the links posted regarding how we measure oxidised stress: Should we change or modify our BP supplementations or Intermittent Fasting to accommodate it?

Bulletproof-Dove-Logo-300x284.png

Thoughts anyone? or have you herb it all before?

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats

Thought we’d draw attention that sometimes herbs combined with certain drug combos can have drastic effect.

Little has been mentioned here on the forum. Something to keep in mind.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/beware-of-risky-herb-drug-combos/index.htm

newdrugchart0701.gif

I was looking for a 3 on anything that looked like a good effect to magnify, but nope...

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Turns out that as a plant extract capsicum powder combined with green tea extract can reduce oxidised stress in malignant cells. The study claims that this reduction of oxidised stress works equally well for those that have cancer or those without. The nrf2 measurement levels indicated this. The study was said to note that although 15% reduction of this oxidised stress could be reduced by

Green tea extract alone, it was only when combined with the Capsicum powder, that it could further reduce oxidised stress levels up to 50%.

re:http://www.researchgate.net/publication/258632775_Oxidative_stress_reduced_by_a_green_tea_concentrate_and_capsicum_combination_synergistic_effects

I've got to say this research makes my spidey-sense tingle. 

Since we can't access the full text, we can't assess their methods. How many participants were in the study? Was the "green tea extract alone" the same green tea extract tested alongside capsicum extract?

So instead, I dug into the authors. The two Morrés (D. James and Dorothy) are the co-founders of the company listed as the research sponsor in the article, Mor-NuCo. That company, in turn, owns the trademark for the green tea / capsicum product listed, Capsol-T. The other product, TeaFense may simply be another trademarked name for the same ingredients. They make very similar claims on their websites. TeaFense is trademarked by a Delaware LLC based in Missouri, which sells to the animal husbandry industry. (I can't link to US gov't trademark search results, but you can search Capsol-T and TeaFense at this link which I think will work: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/

The authors have some other articles. 

In one 2014 study, they found healthy adults with no symptoms of cancer, used their proprietary "ONCOblot" system (also owned by Mor-NuCo) to show that some of them did have cancer, fed them some Capsol-T for 3-6 months, then used the same proprietary ONCOblot" system to show that they no longer had cancer. Note that they dosed the participants every 4 hours, and on Capsol-T's website they say that if you don't dose every 4 hours, the cancer can come back. That's why they sell a more expensive version with a time release that "allows the patient to sleep for up to 8 hours." 

In a 2006 study, the authors found that a grape extract "provided by the California Table Grape Commission" mixed with green tea was "nearly as effective as the standard" green tea with capsicum. 

Looking further into TeaFense (the product referred) you will note that their product is ten times greater than Green tea extract and one hundred times stronger than EGCG.

re:http://www.newproductsplus.net/teafense.html

Maybe we should take account and see if either the 'Green tea extract' or 'Capsicum' will further ''enhance'' other supplementations we take. e.g. Upgradedâ„¢ Glutathione Force ?

Those numbers (one hundred times stronger) and the question of enhancing other supplements really require us to understand the mechanism of action with capsicum. The best we get from the authors is back in 2003, before they founded Mor-NuCo. In the 2003 study, we see that:

These studies were guided by assays of the putative catechin-vanilloid target protein tNOX, a cell surface growth-related enzymatic activity specific to cancer. The activity of the protein target was inhibited by the tea catechins and the Capsicum vanilloids. As with growth, the tea and Capsicum preparations evaluated were synergistic in their inhibition of the target enzymatic activity.

So, perhaps we are fine with just Upgraded Vanilla? But really I'd want more in-depth research – as full text – to have an informed opinion. 

The Capsicum thought to be used is Long pepper (Piper longum) http://www.nutricargo.com/pepper-long-41-powdered-extract?language=en&currency=GBP

That link says it comes from a flowering vine in the Piperaceae family, but from what I can tell Capsicum is a plant in the family Solanaceae (aka nightshade.) 

Ok, so what do I really think? I think the Morrés were academics who got lucky or followed some other research and found that the vanilloids in capsicum extract seem to interact synergistically with the catechins in green tea extract on certain measures, and ended up forming a few companies to sell this and other stuff. Nothing wrong with that. But nothing wrong with us being aware of their motivations. And, I would argue, selling a more expensive product so your patients can sleep through the night is shady. I don't buy that the vanilloids in capsicum are better than other vanilloids, and I don't buy that there aren't other extracts just as powerful... like grape extract, paid for by the California Table Grape Commission. Need full-text and a clear mechanism of action for this to be actionable research. 

As for the two antioxidant links... I need to learn more. 

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014
    Vanilloids are just awesome. The herbal upgraded vanilla really packs a few punches in all the right places. It's so easy to leave it there but as you rightly say there are plenty of alternative sources that deserve explanation and uses. How they interact with our body and with other supplementations is also a deserving topic. Thanks for your insight.
  • NickatNickat
    edited November 2014

There has been some talk about Black Pepper on the forum and it`s benefits in one form or another.

The way in which it fights inflammation, helps with absorption of other supplements by up to 2000% etc....

You may wish to brush up on BioPerine (http://www.raysahelian.com/bioperine.html)

Watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5N3iLhjLF5s#t=7

See how TNF expression plays an important role and how bioperine combined with cloves, ginger, rosemary and turmeric maybe worthwhile for you.
    http://youtu.be/iXnMi6RE0B4

Dave says that Black Pepper is not Bulletproof but maybe the piperine extract is. We`d like to think so.

With regards to bulletproofnovice excellent post below:

'Most of the studies on this herb are using turmeric extracts that contain mostly curcumin itself, with dosages usually exceeding 1 gram per day. It would be very difficult to reach these levels just using the turmeric spice in your foods'. 

Maybe go for:

500mg curcumin extract

10mg Bioperine pill (95% no need to go higher)

Taken twice daily and a small dose of cold raw milk kefir mixed with raw honey. GI tract goodness.

What's your take on isolated curcumin? Better or should we still use whole turmeric?

• edited November 2014

Turmeric has many active components, with curcumin being the most active.  I take the Thorne Meriva phytosome version and also cook with turmeric. Dr. Weil recommends taking turmeric and curcumin with black pepper for better absorption.  I briefly looked at supplements and some of the non phytosome versions  generally include black pepper or piperine.

Once in a while I drink turmeric milk, but always mean to do it  more. It is an Ayurvedic remedy.  You could use milk of your choice.

http://www.giirvaani.net/warm-turmeric-milk-health-benefits.html

Health Benefits of Turmeric Milk

1. As turmeric has anti-microbial it can effectively treat various respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, lung congestion and sinus. This healthy drink ican easily treat bacterial infections and viral infections.
    3. Turmeric milk is good for the stomach and helps in the digestion process. It can be used to treat diarrhea and indigestion but for this you need to use low fat milk. High fat milk can aggravate the symptoms of diarrhea. 
    5. Turmeric milk can also give you healthy and glowing slin. This heathy drink works as soothing mask or lotion to reduce redness of the skin or patches, which are very common skin problems.
    7. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of turmeric make hot turmeric milk one of the best home remedies to treat cold and cough. This simple drink can be used to soothe an aching throat or feverishness. A sip of this hot turmeric milk will treat the symptoms of common cold and cough within a day or two.
    9. It is a known fact that milk being rich in calcium is good to get strong and healthy bones. Plus, turmeric also has bone-strengthening properties that can help to strengthening bones.
    11. Due to turmeric’s high antioxidant content, the combination of milk and turmeric is commonly recommended to fight free radicals that cause damage to skin cells and make your skin lose elasticity.
    13. Turmeric milk benefits the health as it stops the growth of breast, skin, lung, prostate, and colon cancer due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
    15. Turmeric milk has amino acid, tryptophan which helps you get a peaceful and deep sleep. Those who have sleep problems must drink a glass of hot turmeric milk daily half an hour before going to bed.
    17. The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric is very useful to treating arthritis pain. Turmeric milk provides relief from arthritis pain and also improves flexibility of the joints and muscles.
    19. Blood impurities can lead to sever health problems and turmeric milk is a great remedy to purify blood naturally. It revitalizes and boosts blood circulation in the body. This healthy drink also thins the blood which cleanses the lymphatic system and blood vessels from impurities.

Recipe of Hot Turmeric Milk

Hot turmeric milk can be easily prepared at home.

1. Heat one glass of milk on the stove.
    2. When the milk starts boiling, add one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
    3. Stir slowly to dissolve any lumps. The milk will take on a rich, mustard color.
    4. Remove from heat and then add one tablespoon of honey to enhance its flavor.
    5. Allow the solution to cool for a few minutes.
    6. Drink it while it is still warm.

Note: Hot turmeric milk is generally considered to be safe; however it can cause nausea and stomach upset in some individuals.

TURMERIC JUICE: (BALINESE JAMU KUNYIT)

Here's what you'll need to get started: 

• 5-7 inches turmeric 
    • 5-7 tamarind
    • 2 lemons
    • raw honey
    • water
    • blender
    • strainer
    • bowl
    • mason jar(s) or other glass jar with lid

1. Peel turmeric. Your fingers will turn yellow. Don’t worry! All-natural dish soap gets it right out. If your cutting board or countertop get stained, slather on dish soap and rub it in. Let it soak in for 5 min or longer, then scrub with water and sponge. The turmeric stain will vanish!

2. Crack and open tamarind. Make sure you get all the inner roots off, too. We’re only going to use the inner fruit.

3. Fill a big pot with water, put peeled tumeric in and let it boil for at least 20 minutes until the water becomes a rich and vibrant marigold color.

4. While the tumeric water is boiling, get a pan and pour 1 inch of water in with the peeled tamarind. Move the fruit around with a wooden utensil, mix it in with the water so it can melt and dissolve into a jam like texture. More water shouldn’t be needed, but if it’s lookin’ a bit dry, pour water in as needed.

By this time, you should be able to see the little seeds coming out. When the texture looks soft, turn heat off and let it cool down.

5. Go back to the tumeric water. By now, the color should look ready. Pour a little bit of cold water to lower the temperature. Take the turmeric water and pour it into the blender with the tumeric. We boiled it so the root could soften and have more flavor, now it’s ready to buzz in the blender for even more flavor and richness! Blend, blend, blend. The color now should look like an extra extra fiery marigold.

6. Go back to the tamarind in the pan. Pour substance into the strainer that is placed on top of a small bowl to catch the tamarind. Swish the jam like substance around in the strainer with the wooden utensil-- we only want to use the soft bits of the fruit. No seeds, no seed peels.

7. Pour the tamarind that has been caught in the bowl into the blender with the tumeric water. Buzz it around again.

8. We’re almost done. Squeeze your lemons into the blender. Now take the blender and pour your yummy juice into your mason jar(s). Add honey to taste, close with lid, shake it up to mix.

9. Store in fridge up to 3-4 days and drink daily! 

FROM DR. WEIL:

In addition to its use as a culinary spice, turmeric has been used traditionally in India as a disinfectant and treatment for laryngitis, bronchitis, and diabetes. Turmeric is derived from the rhizomes (underground stems) of the plant Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family. It is responsible for the yellow color of Indian curry and American mustard. Curcumin, which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, is the most active constituent of turmeric.

Population studies have shown that elderly villagers in India appear to have the lowest rate of Alzheimer's disease in the world, and researchers have speculated that the anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin may be partly responsible. (Alzheimer's begins as an inflammatory process in the brain, and Indians eat turmeric with almost every meal). So far, however, I've seen no evidence of benefit from curcumin supplementation in Alzheimer's patients.

Other studies of turmeric and curcumin have shown the following benefits:

• Turmeric extract worked as well as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee in a study published in the August 2009 issue of the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
    • Laboratory studies suggest that curcumin acts as a weak phytoestrogen and seems to have cancer protective effects.
    • Lab studies have also shown that curcumin induces programmed death of colon cancer cells, and clinical trials are investigating the use of curcumin in treatment of colon cancer.
    • Curcumin suppresses microinflammation in the GI tract associated with inflammatory bowel disease.

I frequently recommend turmeric supplements, and I believe whole turmeric is more effective than isolated curcumin for inflammatory disorders, including arthritis, tendonitis, and autoimmune conditionsTake 400 to 600 milligrams of turmeric extracts (available in tablets or capsules) three times per day or as directed on the product label. Look for products standardized for 95% curcuminoids. Neither curcumin nor turmeric taken orally is well absorbed unless taken with black pepper or piperine, a constituent of black pepper responsible for its pungency. When shopping for supplements, make sure that the one you choose contains black pepper extract or piperine. (If you're cooking with turmeric, be sure to add some black pepper to the food.). Be patient when taking turmeric supplements: the full benefits may not be apparent for eight weeks.

Don't use turmeric if you have gallstones or bile duct dysfunction. Pregnant women shouldn't use it without their doctors' approval. In rare cases, extended use can cause stomach upset or heartburn. (Note that piperine can slow the elimination of some prescription drugs including phenytoin [Dilantin], propranolol [Inderal], and theophylline. Some evidence also suggests that curcumin can interfere with a chemotherapy agent used to treat breast cancer, so if you're being treated for this disease, be sure to discuss the advisability of taking curcumin with your physician.