Getting Out Of Stage Iii Adrenal Fatigue

My saliva cortisol test results are in. I'm 26 years old and overworked, and now pay the price for it.

Cortisol - Morning (6 - 8 AM) 14.4 (Ref. range = 13.0 - 24.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Noon (12 - 1 PM) 3.0* (Ref. range = 5.0 - 8.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Afternoon (4 - 5 PM) 1.1* (Ref. range = 4.0 - 7.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Nighttime (10 PM - 12 AM) 0.1* (Ref. range = 1.0 - 3.0 nM/L)

Cortisol Sum 18.6* (Ref. range = 23.0 - 42.0 nM/L)

That's Stage III adrenal fatigue -- not a good place to be. Free testosterone is very low for my age -- 78.28 pg/ml (7.82 ng/dl), while the average for men is usually 12.3 before the age 34. (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/16/normal-testosterone-levels/)

I have a couple of questions on how certain things in the Bulletproof diet would affect my adrenals.

1) Do you guys think Brain Octane or MCT oil might be too stressful for burnt out adrenals right now?

2) Should I stick to decaff BP coffee?

3) I'll be working with a Functional Diagnosis and Check Institute Nutritionist for several lifestyle changes and supplementation to kickstart my normal pregnenolone and DHEA production.

On top of that, what's the #1 thing you guys would do that could speed up the healing process?

Thanks so much.

Love everything Dave does, and the entire BPE community.

Nick

Comments

•  

My saliva cortisol test results are in. I'm 26 years old and overworked, and now pay the price for it.

Cortisol - Morning (6 - 8 AM) 14.4 (Ref. range = 13.0 - 24.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Noon (12 - 1 PM) 3.0* (Ref. range = 5.0 - 8.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Afternoon (4 - 5 PM) 1.1* (Ref. range = 4.0 - 7.0 nM/L)

Cortisol - Nighttime (10 PM - 12 AM) 0.1* (Ref. range = 1.0 - 3.0 nM/L)

Cortisol Sum 18.6* (Ref. range = 23.0 - 42.0 nM/L)

That's Stage III adrenal fatigue -- not a good place to be. Free testosterone is very low for my age -- 78.28 pg/ml (7.82 ng/dl), while the average for men is usually 12.3 before the age 34. (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/16/normal-testosterone-levels/)

I have a couple of questions on how certain things in the Bulletproof diet would affect my adrenals.

1) Do you guys think Brain Octane or MCT oil might be too stressful for burnt out adrenals right now?

2) Should I stick to decaff BP coffee?

3) I'll be working with a Functional Diagnosis and Check Institute Nutritionist for several lifestyle changes and supplementation to kickstart my normal pregnenolone and DHEA production.

On top of that, what's the #1 thing you guys would do that could speed up the healing process?

Thanks so much.

Love everything Dave does, and the entire BPE community.

Nick

1. No, Brain Octane and MCT oil are just fuel. They're not stimulants. They'll likely help you with your adrenal fatigue.

2. Yes, minimize caffeine and stimulants in all forms.

Well, above all you need to minimize your stress. The Emwave 2 helps a lot to bring yourself back to baseline. I try to use it several times a day.

Definitely try supplementing with pregnenolone. This is the sublingual product I used daily for some time but now just use about once a week:

http://amzn.to/1kQc5yr  

I would take it first thing in the morning when you wake up. I wouldn't supplement with DHEA unless your DHEA levels are also low. They may actually be elevated. This happens in the later stages of adrenal fatigue.

Start taking your temperature orally when you first wake up and 3 hours later. Despite popular belief, the average oral temperature is 98.2, not 98.6. You want to see stable temperature averages from day to day in the 98.0 - 98.4 range. This is a good way to monitor progress.

Lastly, check out this PDF from Metametrix - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lcuqvrafus8fc3/Adrenal-Stress-Adaptation-Guide.pdf

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• I would strongly recommend reading Dr. Lam's book: http://www.drlam.com/index.php

I had AF back in August and got it straightened out with adrenal extracts and adaptagens, but I didn't adequately understand it so I relapsed in February. Second time around I read Dr. Wilson's book and Dr. Lam's and it has helped tremendously. It's easy to unknowingly be doing things to prolong your recovery simply because of ignorance. Do yourself a favor and cover your bases by reading the book - that's the #1 thing I would do to speed up the healing process.

In addition to avoiding caffeine, you should also avoid intermittent fasting. Full meals 3 times a day as well as snacks. One of the more helpful things I figured out from the books was that AF causes hypoglycemia because of the lack of cortisol. Making those eating changes has helped a lot. Additionally, AF causes electrolyte/sodium regulation problems, which causes the hypotension/dizziness associated with AF. So you should be drinking sea salt water throughout the day. I add 1/2 tsp per 8oz and try to drink 96oz/day. Large doses of Vitamin C has also been important because the greatest concentration of it is in your adrenals and they use C to produce cortisol. I take 20-30g/day. But all of this is covered in much more detail in the book.

In regards to supplements, Dr. Lam has the following categories:

1. First line of defense - gentle nutrients (this includes vitamins, minerals, etc)

2. Second line of defense - glandulars and herbs (these should be used with care/caution)

3. Tools of last resort - hormones (like pregnenolone - these should only be used if the above fail. Don't start with these)

• 1. No, Brain Octane and MCT oil are just fuel. They're not stimulants. They'll likely help you with your adrenal fatigue.

2. Yes, minimize caffeine and stimulants in all forms.

Well, above all you need to minimize your stress. The Emwave 2 helps a lot to bring yourself back to baseline. I try to use it several times a day.

Definitely try supplementing with pregnenolone. This is the sublingual product I used daily for some time but now just use about once a week:

http://amzn.to/1kQc5yr  

I would take it first thing in the morning when you wake up. I wouldn't supplement with DHEA unless your DHEA levels are also low. They may actually be elevated. This happens in the later stages of adrenal fatigue.

Start taking your temperature orally when you first wake up and 3 hours later. Despite popular belief, the average oral temperature is 98.2, not 98.6. You want to see stable temperature averages from day to day in the 98.0 - 98.4 range. This is a good way to monitor progress.

Lastly, check out this PDF from Metametrix - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lcuqvrafus8fc3/Adrenal-Stress-Adaptation-Guide.pdf

Thanks, this helps a lot. My DHEA and testosterone levels are both very low, so I think the FDN is right when it comes to adding DHEA to my supplementation right now.

I'll also start taking my temp in the mornings like you recommend.

I would strongly recommend reading Dr. Lam's book: http://www.drlam.com/index.php

I had AF back in August and got it straightened out with adrenal extracts and adaptagens, but I didn't adequately understand it so I relapsed in February. Second time around I read Dr. Wilson's book and Dr. Lam's and it has helped tremendously. It's easy to unknowingly be doing things to prolong your recovery simply because of ignorance. Do yourself a favor and cover your bases by reading the book - that's the #1 thing I would do to speed up the healing process.

In addition to avoiding caffeine, you should also avoid intermittent fasting. Full meals 3 times a day as well as snacks. One of the more helpful things I figured out from the books was that AF causes hypoglycemia because of the lack of cortisol. Making those eating changes has helped a lot. Additionally, AF causes electrolyte/sodium regulation problems, which causes the hypotension/dizziness associated with AF. So you should be drinking sea salt water throughout the day. I add 1/2 tsp per 8oz and try to drink 96oz/day. Large doses of Vitamin C has also been important because the greatest concentration of it is in your adrenals and they use C to produce cortisol. I take 20-30g/day. But all of this is covered in much more detail in the book.

1. First line of defense - gentle nutrients (this includes vitamins, minerals, etc)

2. Second line of defense - glandulars and herbs (these should be used with care/caution)

3. Tools of last resort - hormones (like pregnenolone - these should only be used if the above fail. Don't start with these)

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a read asap. Blood sugar regulation is a big part of the recommendations I received so far, so I totally agree.

I'll keep everyone updated as things get better.

• If he's in the late stages of adrenal fatigue, nutrients and adaptogens are not going to be enough. Pregnenolone, being an "upstream hormone", is safe to take -- the body will not downregulate it's own production in the presence of exogenous pregnenolone. The body will use the pregnenolone to produce the hormones it needs, which is especially important if his cholesterol levels are low, which I suspect they are, given his testosterone is also low.

I would strongly recommend reading Dr. Lam's book: http://www.drlam.com/index.php

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net