Women Over 60

Are there any female babyboomers out there on this diet? Would love to connect on the specifics for our post menapausal bodied.

I'm 60, 5"4 (and getting shorter, haha), weigh about 125, have three grown kids, walk and yoga (used to run like a crazy but no more). I'm a professor and was widowed 7 years ago. Have been on Whole 30 (Paleo like) for the last year and LOVE it.

Now I've not had my 'energy' and initiative saturation back to normal since being widowed (though it's slowly come back to somewhat normal) until I started with this Bulletproof coffee and the intermittent fasting a could of days ago!

Wow! And as getting shorter makes you have middrift even at the same weight you've always been, I'm hoping to beat that battle too. Now we're talking.

I just want to be sure not to miss a thing that others may know. Any age past menapause (boy am I glad those years are past) would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi drseno.

Having the sam issue with the tummy fat, something I've never had until that past few years.... and boy is it stubborn. I've been somewhat of a 'gym rat' since I was 27 - although I attempted running (I'm NOT an endurance kinda gal), soccer, softball, long distance cycling, which I loved, yoga, and bodybuilding, it was the bodybuilding that I loved and have continued with for decades, albeit with lighter weights than before. Life gets hectic though and  I lose my focus, off and on, due to business demands, but right now I'm "on" and truly appreciating what lifting provides my body. But STILL that tummy fat doesn't want to leave. Ugh. And, I too, have lost height. I'm 5' 5 1/2" and 149 lbs. I used to be just under 5' 7". Where DOES that go?

I've eaten well most of my life - tried all ways - but after a bout with Chronic Fatigue I learned about 'body type eating' and I stick pretty close to that, which is type O, which fortunately loves beef, butter, etc. About 4 months ago I discovered the ketogenic style of eating, which I was somewhat familiar with as its basis was Atkins. I had minor cosmetic surgery 3 weeks ago, so didn't stick to high fat protocol during that time, but began reading about BulletProof style, and have been faithfully eating that way for approximately 1 1/2 weeks. Lost 4 lobs, then gain 1 1/2 lbs....??? So frustrating - but I am lifting rather heavy weights again and I can see my muscles growing, so I am telling myself the weight gain is muscle. ... and hope I'm right. My clothes are fitting more loosely, so that's good. Plus I took some "before" pictures a few months ago and I can easily see the difference. 

Would love any issues you might be having with this - and any tips you've found to be helpful.

Good luck!

JudieK

• Thank you so much for your resonse, Judie! I'm only on day 3 of this bulletproof IF and what I love most is that I'm NEVER hungry, not even when it's time to eat. Also, as a professor, I appreciate the mental clarity and the energy. I'm getting more done.

We're going to a graduation party tonight and I feel pretty confident that I can enjoy a brat or burger and salads without messing up this trending. Are you taking supplements or concerend about bone health?

As you have experienced, the clothes are fitting better. I don't have a scale but do measure waist inches -- that's stubborn but going down. I know this is working and am quite certain that your weight gain is muscle. It just makes sense.

My son has encouraged me with squats and I've used a kettle bell swing. My legs look great (but I feel self conscious wearing 3" inseam shorts in public at my age, ha! My arms though -- they're looking better with yoga  vynsssas and the fat loss will have to help.

Can't tell you how happy I was to hear from someone -- I thought 'surely I'm not the only babyboomer on this site.'  Good to know you!

• Hello

I just want to introduce myself - I am sorry that I didn't make a note of your name before I hit 'reply' - forgive me, I'm not normally so computer illiterate. I was hunting on the forum a little despondently for someone of remotely my age and with similar life experiences.. I hope you don't mind me joining you though I think we are (maybe literally) worlds apart. I'm in Australia. I'm a non-fiction writer, I'm a few days off 65, and I've got a raft of mobility issues that I won't bore you with other than to say that my disability means I cannot do gym work, weights, swim or do any kind of sustained exercise. I walk a little (on a machine) and garden when I am able. I have been reading and dabbling with bullet proof ideas for about a year.

I am just out of hospital after three weeks of pneumonia and sudden onset asthma; the steroids I've had to take have raised my blood sugar levels (which I think are normally fine) and the consultant has been muttering about glucose tolerance tests when I'm better. I came home on Monday afternoon, and am weak as a kitten with a long way to go. My dh doesn't 'hold with' such things as bullet proof anything, so I'm on my own! This has been a massive reality check for me - I'm tied a bit at the moment with him having to do my meals - bless him, he's filled the fridge with all manner of things I don't really want to eat but he's been so worried and now is not the time to turn him back as he's not normally this helpful! But I'm planning on getting back onto my bullet proof coffee and intermittent fasting by the end of the weekend. I know it works and I like it. I'm reading, reading, reading, now... I'm a bit scared at realising that I'm not quite as immortal as I thought I was!

Sorry that I'm not as knowledgeable or as fit as you both are, but I hope you don't mind me tagging along in the hope of picking up on your good habits!

• edited August 2014

I am glad to see this forum topic! I was beginning to believe that the Bulletproof Diet was only for those younger than 50. However, I am disappointed that there are not many identified 50+ year-olds participating in these forums. I am almost 62 and 65-70 lbs. overweight. I have gained 45 pounds over the last ten years after needing a rare brain surgery. I most recently participated in a weight loss protocol used by the Centers for Medical Weight Loss which involved an 800 calorie daily diet using CMWL shakes and protein bars. I am currently 5' 6", down from 5' 6 1/2", and weigh 199.5. A local chiropractor sells Bulletproof products, and I have made arrangements to purchase a Bulletproof Brain Octane starter pack from him. What has ultimately led me to the BP Diet are two motivators: 1. My mother recently died from aspiration pneumonia as a result of dementia, and 2. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my physical appearance. I do not want to die as my mother did, and I do not want to spend the final years of my life fat and ashamed.  I hope this will become a very active forum for persons over 60 who are on this journey as well. Something I have not seen discussed is how to deal with taking medications that require food during the hours of fasting. I would appreciate suggestions on how to make this work the Bulletproof way.

• Bulletproof ModBulletproof Mod Welcome to the Forums mod
    Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, all of you who are new here (I have messaged several of you previously). Keep coming back and posting. This will help build the group of members in the demographic mentioned by Schoolmarm (we welcome sll sges here!)

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • Thank you all for posting. My mom is in her 60's and I have been attempting to move her to a more BP diet. She has tried BP coffee when I make it while visiting her and she likes it.

Please keep posting and asking questions. Thanks again. :smile:
  • MarielleMarielle
    edited August 2014
    Hey all,
    I'm in my mid-40's. Not exactly 60's, but right behind you. I love inspiration -- women who are rockin' it into their 60's and beyond!

Last night, I happened to catch Pat Benatar in concert. She's 61 and rockin' still in a big way. I want that to be me (although who can top Pat, seriously?). Please share your journey and continue to let us all know what works for you.

Namaste'

Mary

• edited August 2014

Thank you, Mary and gcarlet! My main question is whether or not the Bulletproof protocol ("as is") is effective for women over 60. I was hoping to read the Bulletproof experiences of women in this age range. If the Bulletproof protocol doesn't generally equate with weight-loss success in women over 60, I am certainly willing to accept that. Since I plan to follow the BP protocol-even without guidance from others' experiences-, perhaps my experience will help someone else in the future. Thanks for your encouragement!

• Came on this site a few weeks back finding nothing for women over 60 -- so started this thread and now look! So happy to see people finding this and interested. If you read at the top of the thread Scoolmarm and gcarlet, you will find that two of us were having success with the Bullet Proof Intermittent fasting. I actaully love that way of approaching my morning. Sometimes just butter coffee and then I'm not hungry until 2:00 p.m. or so -- it saves me a meal really!

I'd read through Dave's blogs as much as possible -- much of what he says is applicable to any age.  Read elsewhere too. There's a lot out there about women's health and so many of us are Baby Boomers!

I was really pleased to see Dr. Weil claim that the BP diet had been tried by a physician friend of his and that it was working nicely.

Hope you all have a good experience and that you find success in feeling better and trimming down! Come back and tell us what's up. And welcome Mary! How sweet to have someone your age smart enough to know that it's not long before 20 years pass, and you want to be ready and happy all the way!

• Thank you, Mary and gcarlet! My main question is whether or not the Bulletproof protocol ("as is") is effective for women over 60. I was hoping to read the Bulletproof experiences of women in this age range. If the Bulletproof protocol doesn't generally equate with weight-loss success in women over 60, I am certainly willing to accept that. Since I plan to follow the BP protocol-even without guidance from others' experiences-, perhaps my experience will help someone else in the future. Thanks for your encouragement!

The best I can tell you is that biohacking is all about researching and experimenting to find out works best with your physiology and specific life situation. For me, in my current state of perimenopausal ups and downs, a cyclical -- or any -- ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting are counterproductive. However, most of the bulletproof food recommendations are spot on, and adding fat and red meat (grassfed, of course) back to my diet have helped me immensely. Ironically, I eat kind of like Dave Asprey's kids do :)

This website has also given me a forum to check out new ideas that go against or are unknown to mainstream medicine and the so-called "health experts" out there. Some ideas will work for you (I've become a big fan of the CILTEP stack), while others might not pan out (serrapeptase: not for me). I also feel much more prepared to question the medical profession when they try to push an idea on me or brush me off when it doesn't feel right.

Again, it's about experimenting to find out how your own body works and what is going to work best for you, because you are unique!

Mary

• Hope you all have a good experience and that you find success in feeling better and trimming down! Come back and tell us what's up. And welcome Mary! How sweet to have someone your age smart enough to know that it's not long before 20 years pass, and you want to be ready and happy all the way!

You know, I feel like my adult life is moving at warp speed! I distinctly remember when my parents were about my age give or take -- I thought they were older than dirt, and now I'm them! I watched my dad pass two years ago at age 82 from COPD and I thought, "Wow, you blink an eye and it's over! We all have to squeeze as much livin' as we can out of this life". Not to get too philosophical, but really, in the end, good health and good living will take us a long way :)

Mary

• My dad died at 58. My mom is in her 60's and I don't want the same thing for her. I appreciate you all discussing these things in this thread.

• I'm 67, practiced Bikram yoga for 10 years.  It's time for a major change.   No hesitation, the diet.  I found BulletProof at East West Acupuncture in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I work out of San Jose, California in Silicon Valley.  I'm excited.  I go by my intuition and it says YES!.  We all need support and it will be in this forum.  I'm growing and okay to change. Using body code emotion releasing with practitioner.  Amazing how we store invisible trapped emotions in our bodies.  More amazing, I found this forum and the diet etc.  Thank you so much. Zoe Zane

Waves of Love. Zoe Zane

• edited September 2014

Hello! I may be the oldest* by a few months until the next shy person decides to introduce herself. I have been thriving on this diet since April, and I do mean thriving. Most of all, my thoughts and general outlook have dialed back to my 16-year-old self. The Beatles have just come to America!

I have lost weight, gained incredible energy. The intermittent fast has always been my natural way of eating,  but it has been frowned on, forever. I can add that my husband is also 100 percent on this diet and his health was fragile when we began and all his tests for blood sugar, protein, and so forth have all been improving. He will be 70 this November. So we are two test cases.

One final hilarious note, so perfect for this forum: I have been having hot flashes, -- intense and regular -- since 2001. Maybe when all the stored fat is gone they will end. That's my hope, anyway.

*Just checked -- zoezane has me beat by merely days!

• It's fun to see this thread take off. At first I was wondering where my over 60 friends were and now people just keep showing up. I hope it helps! Thank you for your post Keto bingo -- great inspiration!

• Hi everyone!

I am 53 and have been Bulletproofing for about 3 months. I LOVE the coffee and have enjoyed three cups a day since I started. However, I have noticed that I am up several pounds and my belly is getting fatter. I have decided to cut back on the number of BP cups with butter in the am since it has to be what is causing me to gain weight.

I am 5' 6 1/2" and now weigh142 lbs. I used to be around 135 and liked it much better.  I power walk 2 miles a day and then do JJ Virgin's bursting routine three times a week. I wish the BP diet had worked better for me.

I studied the forum as much as I could and learned a lot about the supplements, although I had been taking most of them already as prescribed by my doctor. She now has me on a "fix your gut" regimen since we did a NutriEval and my absorption is non-existent.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you  ☺

• edited September 2014

I am so glad to see even more contributors to this very special group! I want to provide a brief update on my BP efforts. Against Dave's advice, I began my journey on the RFL Protocol. My thinking was that experiencing rapid weight loss would ease the symptoms of such a drastic change to my previous way of eating. Over a period of eight days, I lost 10 lbs. I was thrilled with this benefit of RFL, but was unable to continue after the eight days. Either the combination of Kerrygold butter and MCT caused me to experience nausea or the MCT contributed to nausea. By the 8th day, I had cut the MCT to 1/4 teaspoon, and still felt ill. Dave warned about the loss of energy, but I thought that I could handle this aspect. I could not. My mind was clear and "busy," but I was in a constant state of tiredness, some listlessness, occasional dizziness, and experienced general malaise. You must remember, though, that I am on a journey to lose 70 lbs. I am glad that I tried the RFL Protocol, but I think it probably works best for those who can lose the desired weight quickly (fewer pounds than my goal!) and then transition to the BP IF. In similar forums, readers had wondered why others who wrote about planning to follow the RFL Protocol failed to report progress or lack of it. Perhaps some of these people equate a detour with failure. I am feeling stronger now, and plan to begin the more modest BP IF. I hope to share an update soon concerning my journey. I know you wish me well!

• I'm 67, practiced Bikram yoga for 10 years.  It's time for a major change.   No hesitation, the diet.  I found BulletProof at East West Acupuncture in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I work out of San Jose, California in Silicon Valley.  I'm excited.  I go by my intuition and it says YES!.  We all need support and it will be in this forum.  I'm growing and okay to change. Using body code emotion releasing with practitioner.  Amazing how we store invisible trapped emotions in our bodies.  More amazing, I found this forum and the diet etc.  Thank you so much. Zoe Zane

I live in San Jose and practiced Bikram and still do! What a small world. I'm 54 and being BP works for me. I do add more rice and sweet potatoes because I'm losing more weight than I want to. Glad I found this thread.

Mary Ann

• I live in San Jose and practiced Bikram and still do! What a small world. I'm 54 and being BP works for me. I do add more rice and sweet potatoes because I'm losing more weight than I want to. Glad I found this thread.

I have stalled for what seems like months! Do you use BP coffee and/or eat lots of good fats? Looks like I have to count calories or come up with a magic potion.

• I have stalled for what seems like months! Do you use BP coffee and/or eat lots of good fats? Looks like I have to count calories or come up with a magic potion.

I drink BPC most mornings at 6am. I try and buy grass fed beef when it's on sale, but our local New Leaf has non GMO fed beef that I get when I'm being frugal. I get wild caught salmon at Target. I put Kerrygold on meals and use Dave's upgraded whey powder in smoothies.

My weight stays stable because I tend to eat less, and I'm on bio identical hormones. That alone has kept me from getting over my comfortable weight.
  • I am excited to see this thread. I have just decided to try the BP diet plan, still haven't gotten my coffee (just ordered it recently) so I'm doing BP-ish coffee with butter and coconut oil (as close as I can get for the moment). My partner (who is usually not concerned that much with the quality of his food...thank goodness I'm the one who does the shopping and cooking or we would be eating food out of cans and boxes all the time!) even watched a few of the podcasts with me and was impressed by Dave...so that's encouraging too :) Obviously I am brand new to this forum and to the BP diet. I am hoping to lose the extra weight around my middle and generally feel more energized and focused. I'm 53 years old...still in peri-menopause but not complaining too much about that because so far it's not been too difficult. I suppose my parents have in a way been the inspiration for me to be focused on staying healthy since my Dad died of cancer a number of years ago and my 76 year old Mom now needs either a cane (on a good day) or a walker (not so good day) to get around. I plan to stay healthy and active until I draw my last breath! I'm also going to introduce my Mom to at least the BP coffee and (if she is open to it) the other aspects of the BP diet when I visit her in a few weeks, it would be great if she could benefit also. Since I'm doing some of the cooking and shopping while I'm at her house I'll make sure we have plenty of good fats, protein, and veggies in our meals :)

• Good to hear from you, Sanssoucish! Thank you for joining the thread. You will love the coffee, but will also find that you don't have to spend that much to get great (even better) coffee than Daves. I have found great roasters on coffeereview.com

My favorite is Paradise Roasters. Wow, that have GREAT tasting coffee and the more you buy, the way lower the price is. Just awesome. You'll get all that foamy stuff on the top of your coffee, just like Dave says :D

As for the diet, I don't have butter coffee UNLESS I'm fasting. It's too much. We really have to have way more vegetalbes and fruits in our diets -- smoothies are great. Have found a combination of the principles found in Whole 30 diet, BRAGG's Apple Cider Vinegar and fasting regimens or even Tim Ferris' work plus what Dave is talking about works for me -- I shake 'em up and have recently found that a 24 hour fast on two days a week works wonders. I don't eat (but drink a lot of water and vegetalbe broth --see Mark Hyman) from noon to noon is easy to do. And I FEEL great!

• Thanks DrSeno - I will certainly check out Paradise Roasters. I have been a coffee drinker since I was a kid, I used to sneak sips of my parents coffee when I was a  little kid because I liked the taste so much. I haven't tried fasting for a long time, so I may give that a try at some point. Right now I'm having my BP-ish coffee for breakfast, just one cup, and I'm not putting as much butter in it as Dave does. So far it's kept me satisfied until 1 or 2 pm when I have a light lunch. I have been putting some Braggs ACV in my water once or twice a day, haven't looked at the podcast with Tim Ferris yet but it's on my list :)

• Thank you, Mary and gcarlet! My main question is whether or not the Bulletproof protocol ("as is") is effective for women over 60. I was hoping to read the Bulletproof experiences of women in this age range. If the Bulletproof protocol doesn't generally equate with weight-loss success in women over 60, I am certainly willing to accept that. Since I plan to follow the BP protocol-even without guidance from others' experiences-, perhaps my experience will help someone else in the future. Thanks for your encouragement!

Hi Schoolmarm-

I am 41 but had a medically induced menopause in my late 20's. I really wish I'd known then what I've discovered the past few years. That being said, recent research by Jeff Volek, RD, PhD and Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD points to positive results with menopausal women on ketogenic diets. It's a hair different than Bulletproof. The main factor being that carbohydrates are completely eliminated (outside of vegetables). Good luck!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hello everyone, 

I wrote another post on a fairly active thread regarding the book "No Fail Fat Burning for Women" (see post before mine, By Skye St. John). Instead of writing a whole new post, I've cut and pasted by way of introduction. 

I have had severe health problems these past 3+ years and I am currently on short term disability. I have a laundry list of issues but I am under the care of a wonderful Integrative/functional medicine doctor (this past year) and we have slowly been addressing underlying issues rather like peeling the layers of an onion. 

A few things we have addressed: SIBO, Leaky Gut, and heavy metals. I have just finished 8 rounds of bi-weekly detox with dmsa. I have done the elimination diet, got an Alcat test and eliminated those foods and on and on. (I have also been taking Armour thyroid for about 5 years now)

I have a significant amount of fat to lose. At one point I just stopped losing weight no matter what I did in addition, insult to injury, I blew up a fast additional rapid 40lbs . My doctor assures me that once we sort out all my issues it should start coming off. 

Recently, My husband needed to lose a few pounds so went low carb (I was already off gluten) where he easily loses while I on the other hand do not. But, I have taken advantage of his diet. I also, added in some carbs (usually white rice) about 2 days a week so I wouldn't get discouraged about not losing any weight. 

I am a biohacker and read everything I can (I'm obsessed, so my husband thinks  :smile: ). I stumbled upon Bulletproof coffee a few months ago and love, Love LOVE! it. I bought Dave's book and wanted to see what my fellow gender were saying about it when I came across the No Fail Fat Burning for Women thread.  I highly recommend Skye's book. 

Lastly: I am 60 years old and I have been in Menopause for 3 years. 

Hugs

• so glad there is 50 + forum - I am sure issues are different for women and different again for those who are menopausal and post menopausal.

interested to hear how you are all going - am 57  in Australia am an artist (usually making big sculpture) - which means I might sit in front of computer for weeks and then be intensely physical for days or months... with pushing deadlines. Been using BP for only week now but maybe have been too over enthusiastic with lowering carbs ( I can be an all or nothing girl) and am getting keto flu symptoms ( achy cold stomach mainly)

Be interested to hear how many cabs you girls take and when you have it in the day - rice, sweet potato???

• So glad to see other boomers here. I've been LCHF for the last 5 months and just started the BP way of life three days ago. I had  lost 27 pounds over the last few months but have gone down veryyyy slowly, so, when I started this plan I wasn't really looking for a weight shift, I just wanted to feel better. What a surprise! Even though I'm not eating that differently I think that the IF and lack of dairy has been responsible for the three pounds I've dropped lickety-split. I'm hoping that at the end of the two weeks I will have more to rejoice about. I am looking forward to watching this forum and catching a lot of inspiration!

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

OH, YAY!!!  I love this forum! 

I am 54, and also want to lose 70 pounds.  I have not been active or fit - in fact I have yo-yo'd for decades.  This appealed to me for a few reasons, one being I love coffee, and also because I don't normally get hungry until 1 pm anyway.   After menopause, I find that I am unable to lose weight.  So I'm hoping this does it for me.

Schoolmarm - why did you say that the RFLP was "against Dave's advice"?  I planned to start that today, only to discover I am short 2 of the supplements, and it seems like they are KEY.  When they arrive, I have every intention of trying it.  I'm sorry it didn't work out for you!  I'm thinking if it doesn't work out for me, I'll just continue the BP diet as is. 

Thanks for starting this thread !!!  

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

Greer -

As I understand it, rice and sweet potatoes are once a week on carb re-feed days.   That day is also a protein-fast day.  I have seen posts warning to keep fat to a minimum that day, as well. 

If I'm wrong, please, someone speak up - but I think I've got it!

• Season10Season10 Trying to survive

Seen Pat Benatar, Anne and Nancy Wilson and Chrissie Hynde all recently.  All sound terrific and go out there and give it all they got on stage and all in the 60's

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone