Women Over 60

Comments

• YAY!   Hi friends.  I'm a boomer girl, too.  The last 3 years have not been fun body-wise.  My hormones plummeted or sky-rocketed - whicher way they weren't supposed to be going, and I'm borderline low thyroid with most of the symptoms.  My doctor does have me on one bioidentical hormone but will not treat me for the low thyroid.   We were eating an 80/20 paleo diet. . .meaning that the marjority of our meals were paleo, but we were not strict about it when eating out or on a lazy day.  I started with BCP a few weeks ago (even to the point that I traveled to another country for Christmas and took my tiny blender, GF butter and Brain Octane oil) and have just started following the No Fail Fat Burning For Women by Skye St John today.  I love how it takes the BP diet and tweeks it for women.

Yes, dropping the weight I've gained over the last 3 years would be wonderful, but mostly I want my WOW back.  I sleep great and can easily sleep 8 or 9 hours at night and still  need a nap during the day.  I want my energy back, my initiative and my lean body back.  I used to be a gym rat and walked marathons, and I long for the energy level and desire to return.  Exercising now is a chore.  How sad is THAT??? 

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have found fellow boomer girls who wanna be BULLETPROOF!  YAY for us for taking charge of our health, wellness and AWESOMENESS!!

Oh, I'm 55, 5' 8 1/2" and 155-ish pounds (major fluctuations)  I feel better at 138 pounds.  I have a small frame, short body and long legs -  and the 20-ish pounds I've gained are all around my middle.    I look like a baked potato with toothpicks for legs right now.  LOL! 

• KatxoxoKatxoxo
    edited December 2014

Greetings to all of us 'slightly over the hill but wanna be rocking it' crowd.  I am 54, Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroid) sufferer who is also prone to adrenal fatigue.  Since staring thyroid meds (Armour) in 2007, I have steadily gained 20lbs in weight, killed my bodyfat percentage (went from 19% at 46 to likely 30% or better now).  I am 5'7 (squeaking it in - likely closer to 5'6 3/4 now) and currently weigh 161.5lbs.  Unacceptable.  My good weight is a more moderate bodyfat level and at 140-145lbs. 

In addition to my corporate America job as an executive assistant to the CEO of a public company (read: sit too much all day and work too long hours), prior to my diagnosis I used to train clients part time (personal trainer) and LOVED the gym (weights - not so much cardio). I was not athletic as a child although siblings were high school and collegiate athletes.  

Right around the time I was diagnosed with my AI, I lost my mojo (some of you have referred to it as 'wow').  I also went through what was considered 'spontaneous menopause' around the time I started treatment. That being said, I have NEVER felt better on thyroid  meds - mostly worse despite doing everything that has been advised by doctors and patient-advocates, biohackers and everyone in between.  I have been all all sorts of thyroid meds, steroids for the adrenal fatique, BHRT - none of it has really made me feel better; it may have fixed the lab results -- but it never brought me back to a place where I felt myself again.  

I am familiar with paleo/primal as many fitness enthusiasts have eaten what is dubbed a 'clean diet' which is very close to what we now call paleo.  That being said, I have been quite lax about it over the past 2 years; while I am not a sweets/cookies person - when really stressed, I tend to comfort myself with the wrong foods (pizza, fries, bread) and having gone through a very stressful 4 years - I just lost focus on diet.  

Aside from tweaking the diet back to where I used to be for years (and was happy with it as it was more a lifestyle not a diet) - I believe stress management is the hinge that swings the door for me.  This has been the most elusive part of wellness -- learning to manage it and learning to put myself FIRST.  I would also love to get back to love working out and being more consistent than the 2x a week I go now..... what I am doing is not intense enough both in terms of HIIT but also 'weight'..... I find I am floundering through workouts (working with a trainer right now) and making no progress over the past year.

Glad to see others here in similar situations but not comforted by that either.  Thanks for all that you have each shared thus far. 

-Kathy

• I'm being tested for the autoimmune thyroid issue now.  My tests are all super low and I have many symptoms, but bc the tests aren't below the line, there isn't anything to do but diet, exercise, a positive mental attitude, and finding others in my situation to share ideas.  I've pretty much devored the No Fail Fat Burning for Women and see that many of the issues discussed in the book are adrenal, thyroid and other hormones.  Women are different creatures than men, and us Boomer Chicks are more different still, so it is nice to have some directions on implimenting the BP diet with us in mind. 

• Hi, fantastic to find this forum.

I am 65, retired and travelling a lot of the year around Australia. I have been listening to the BP podcasts for a year and finally bought the book 4 days ago and went on the coffee. Being lactose intolerant I am soooo pleased. Amazing feeling, lots of energy and not having to think about food as much.

I don't have to loose weight at 164cm and 55 kg after having a problem travelling overseas in FEb and loosing 7 kg in a hurry. I just want to maintain my health and build my muscle tone which I have lost My diet has been clean for a few years with GAPS based bone broth, sauerkraut etc. I just have to do some experimenting with the suggested supplements and exercise and see what happens. I am at the beginning of this, so any help with gaining muscle tone would be fantastic.

PS not being very computer savvy I can't organise a photo and had a problem on shoutouts with a popup that wouldn't go away.
  • Thanks Cruiser42 I bought Skye St John's no Fail Fat Burning for Women which is based on BP fasting.

you may have encountered her posts on the BP forum - how I found out about her book - see this particular forum http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12851-no-fail-fat-burning-for-women/

In the book she discusses the need for carb refeeds every 3 days for women. Really well worth the few $$ to buy a as kindle book. She has a simple but clear program for implementing this.

• I totally agree.  What I love about the book, too, is the organization.  She will link or refer you to several other places that are amazing.  I really dislike books that go on and on with circular logic.  This book is straight to the point, succint and assumes the reader is intelligent.  How refreshing is that???  It was less that $5 on kindle.  Well worth the price!

Thanks Cruiser42 I bought Skye St John's no Fail Fat Burning for Women which is based on BP fasting.

you may have encountered her posts on the BP forum - how I found out about her book - see this particular forum http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12851-no-fail-fat-burning-for-women/

In the book she discusses the need for carb refeeds every 3 days for women. Really well worth the few $$ to buy a as kindle book. She has a simple but clear program for implementing this.

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

Thanks, Greer !

Got the book and love it!  Will be doing SSJ's version of the Bulletproof diet on a 3 week work trip starting Sunday.  I'm really excited about it !  Take great care!

• Good morning Boomer Girls.   How's everyone doing?  Any recipes, Ah-Ha moments or stories you wanna share?  

One thing I discover in another thread and have implemented is using the MCT oil on my face at night.  I love how it feels and it soaks in so much faster than coconut oil.  No greasy look or feel. 

Also, I found a recipe for pumpkin spice latte using our regular bp recipe and adding 2 T of pumpkin puree to it.  You can add vanilla (BP Ungrade, of course) or approved sweetener as you desire.   I'm gonna try this with de-caf coffee on a carb refeed day.

• I'm not quite 60, but I will be there in 3 years. I bought the book last week, read it all the way through and began to adopt most of the principles to see how it works for me. And this is my first post here! When I found this topic I was thrilled and decided this was the best place for my first. 

I'm 5' 6" ... or at least, I was. I'm sure I've shrunk in the past 7 years as that is how long I've been postmenopausal. I have no idea how much I weigh because I detest scales and refuse to step on one unless forced to at the doctor's office. I do need to drop some weight, about 3 dress sizes will put me in my sweet spot for life.

I started making some radical changes to what/how I eat a few years ago when I discovered that the raw milk from the farm up the street from me eliminated almost all my allergies. When it dawned on me that the milk had a direct relationship with the allergy relief, I began a extensive search on nutrition and how it affects the body. I stumbled upon the no-wheat discussions and soon after came across the primal community over at Mark's Daily Apple. I've been trying to be primal as much as possible, although it's easy to fall off the wagon when the rest of them family loves their bread, pasta and sweet things. At least I know that gluten is not my friend and I avoid it more often than not. When I do jump off the wagon, I do it with quality. LOL I even found Natural Grocers who stocks Jovial's einkorn wheat flour. Einkorn is not easy to find here in the US.

I started the bullet-proof coffee a few days ago. Yesterday I was able to get to 2:00 pm before eating. I felt hungry earlier, but by getting out of the house and getting active, the hunger went away.

Dave doesn't really address much about women at this stage in life in his book, other to mention several times we should ingest protein along with the BP coffee in the morning. Does anyone know why? I would like to know the bio-mechanics behind that suggestion. 

I'm typing this early in the am while finishing off my BP coffee, but in a little while I need to head to the horse ranch where I do ranch chores three mornings a week. I'm not paid for the effort, at least, not cash but rather it's a barter for the training of my daughter's horse. I also get free rides when I have the time, which is very rare! And it's how I'm able to de-stress my life. The ponies are good listeners and I feel better with the release of every drop of sweat.

The ranch work is my exercise. It's my cross-fit! But I find myself worn out when I get home and am unproductive for the rest of the day so I hope following the BP principles will help me have more drive and energy to get things done. The ranch work takes about 3 - 4 hours on average, and the commute is 1.25 hours so the rest of the day is a large chunk of time I want to get back! I will follow the advice to have extra protein (along with some more fat) to see how well I do this morning. Hopefully I will feel energized enough to get the laundry done and set up the new sewing table that is coming to my door some time today!

• Hi HilaryJ

Nice to have another beautiful Boomer joining us.  I think you might get a lot from Skye St. John's book.  She is active on these posts, too, so joins in the conversations.  There is also a thread in the women's section that is just those of us who are following her protocol for women on the BP diet.  Women, and those of us in this age group, have different needs/requirements, and her book takes the BP diet and tweaks it for us.  BTW - that thread is 20 pages long, but the info in that thread is AWESOME, and her kindle version of the book is inexpensive. 

WOW - I love your ranch life.  What a great exercise and working in a field like that is so healing, too.  Mentally, physically, emotionally. . .there's just something about being outside, working with animals, doing 'real' exercise like that.  NICE!  

The first thing I noticed when I started Dave's protocol was that I no longer needed naps.  The second thing I noticed was my skin.  I was sleeping 9 hours a night, napping and still looked tired.  Now I'm sleeping 7 hours and not napping, and I look refreshed.  So I think you will find an increase in your energy pretty quickly.   The BEST thing I noticed was that my low-grade headaches have disappeared.  They weren't horrible headaches, but enough to make me feel blah.  And, yes, I'm dropping weight, too. 

Enjoy your BP coffee and give the horses a hello from me.

• I just found this thread. Yeah for it. I'm over 60 (am 61).

It's tough as nails to lose weight. I've got between 30-40 lbs I'd love to see it all go but realistically anything at this point would be fantastic.  It's mostly stuck around my middle and pretty darn uncomfortable for someone who used to be active. 

I just finished reading through all the treads on this post and bought Skye's book. So now to sit down with my b. coffee and go through her suggestions. 

Am looking forward to more brainstorming here on how to make all this work and appreciate everyone's thoughts so far. 

• Hi,

I'm 65 and a beginner in the bp diet. I'm overweight, about 30 pounds. Apart from metabolic syndrome I have a number of health problems, atrium fibrillations and autoimmune problems, sore joints, hair loss. I take a lot of vitamin D3 with K2, no problems with osteoporosis and some improvemenst to hair and sore joints. Since April this year I follow the autoimmune recommendations of Sarah Ballantyne (The Paleo Approach) and Terry Wahls (The Wahls Protocol). The first focuses on gut health and avoiding inflammatory food, the second on mitochondral health. Most recommendations overlap. The diet really improved my health, but I don't loose weight, so I try the bp diet. Mostly trying to regulate my appetite. In 2013 I lost more than 30 lbs with the aid of an esophagal balloon. My strategy was to avoid foods that stimulated appetite and I try to do that again, without the aid of a balloon.

I am a retired biologist, specialized in nature conservation, environment and environmental health. Now I'm a glass artist.
  • Hi Maureen.....I'm also a retired biology person although I was a science teacher (specializing in the high school mind :) .  Now I have a completely different business with my husband in real estate.  

Am also trying to regulate my appetite.  I'm ALWAYS thinking about food and didn't even realize it until I got the flu and spent a week not wanting to eat. It was such an eye opener and a relief to actually not want food.  This food craving stuff is a new development that started in peri-menopause and really came in full swing a few years ago when all periods ended.  I've been on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone since age 50 when I realized dropping hormones, hot flashes and a room full of teenagers was a very bad combination.  Last summer I added in testosterone because I couldn't lift basic materials we needed to move around for our business.  Within weeks the testosterone made a big difference in my strength and energy but the effect dropped off somewhat.

Right now I pretty much follow a paleo diet with some dairy and occasionally long fermented sourdough bread. Dropping the dairy and bread completely didn't seem to make any difference in my food cravings.  So I now try to keep it to sheep and goat dairies and limit the bread to a treat. 

Along with just starting to follow Skye's plan for women I'm working adding in slowly more resistant starches i.e AnimalPharm and Vegetable Pharms suggestions on their blogs.

• Hi ladies.  If you are following Skye's protocol, Greer wrote us up a great chart to help with the protocol, especially the first 10 days.  I'll attempt to post it here, but it that doesn't work, you can find it in the No Fail Fat Burning For Women thread on about page 20 or 21.  Look for Greer's name.   I think her charts should be pinned in the front of the women's forum.  It is a winner in my opinion. 

http://greertaylor.net/foodinfo/NFFBFW%20food%20and%2021%20day%20program.pdf

• Wow....that is a winner.  Thanks for posting it.  

• Thank you Lily. Appetite control for me is key to losing weight. Hunger, on the other hand, is not so bad. I read that ghrelin stimulates lipolysis, it induces the production of growth hormone and stimulates anti-inflammatory pathways. So, going a bit hungry before your next meal seems healthy. Prolonged hunger, up to the point that you don't feel it anymore is bad. Lowers your metabolism and ups your stress hormones. I just posted a topic on food addiction in the general discussin. It's not only us, post-menopausal women suffering from food cravings.
  • Before menopause, I always managed to loose weight, whether by calory restriction, qi gong, or other fancy method. During and after menopause nothing of this worked anymore. Moreover, I grew 'on water' so to speak, meaning EVERITING I ate ended up in my middle region, sorry for the spelling. In the Netherlands we all have health insurance. I went to the national obesity center, and they advised bariatric surgery, which would be covered by my health insurance. I did't want that and opted for an esophagal balloon, which was not covered. In 7 months I lost 35 pounds. Then the balloon was removed. I took a short vacation of the diet, gained some weight and started low carb again and stabilized. I started the autoimmune variant of the paleo diet, which was good for me, but of little help in losing weight. I read Skye StJohn's book, but she doesn't give any background info. Since I took responsibility for my own health, I insist on knowing the why's and how's of any prescription, so I also bought and read Dave Asprey's book, whih I find impressive. It gives some extra's over Sarah Ballantyne and Terry Wahls. Ballantyne cautions against intermittent fasting, especially if you need to loose a lot of weight. Bulletproof coffee is supposed to be around the starvation and therefore stress-inducing part of the fasting, but there are publications indicating that ketosis in itself may prolong metabolic syndrome, leptin and insulin resistance and all. I suspect that a diet that is too low in carbs can induce heart palpitations and muscle cramps. Recently I stumbled upon the site of Dr Ray Mead, www.raymead.com which seems to provide a lot of missing puzzle pieces for me. Still reading and digesting.
  • Maureen....I can't find anything on Dr. Ray Mead....did by chance you mean Dr. Ray Peat?  At this website http://raypeat.com/about.shtml.

• Sorry, Ray Peat. And you got the right website. Apparently, some readers have established a Peat Diet, which is totally bull, since Peat never offered such a thing. The only thing he does, is questioning so called established 'medical truths', using his own considerable expertise. The thing is that too many people think the human body is kind of a machine. Just search Pubmed, if you have some health problem, and bingo! Out comes a nummer of abstracts and by simple computional techniques, you can find the answer. Since you have at the very least a basic background in physiology, you'll know, that it is very important to go back to the primary reference and check the timeframe of the experiment. Substance A can have a response in the short run, and the opposite response in the long run. Most diets work great in the short run, but the long run? What I like about Peat, is that he knows his stuff and puts forward his question marks and possible alternative interpretations. I also like his focus on mitochondrial heath and energy regulation. Systems biology is considered a new and promising direction in basic biological research. And I think the reason that you and I follow this forum is our awareness, that population differences matter. What works for men doesn't work necessarily for women. Post-menopausal women are an entirely different subpopulation as well. Well, maybe not entirely, but different any way. We are all on a journey towards better health, trying this and that, finding out what works for us.
  • Hello to everyone here. I just discovered this forum for women over 60. Well I technically don't turn 60 for another couple of weeks, but really liked what I read here. A little about myself and BP. I started drinking the BP coffee back in October after watching an interview Dave did on Giam TV. I was really impressed with what he said but was very skeptical to try the coffee as I have never been able to drink coffee due to nausea and stomach cramping. But with all the benefits he talked about, I figured I would give it a try and if I couldn't drink it I would just give the coffee to a friend. Wow, was I surprised. I could actually drink coffee without feeling bad! Not a morning goes by without my coffee! First thing I noticed was a big improvement in my stamina during my every other day 4 mile run. I did not hit that "wall" about half way through.

The next huge change, and I mean huge, was for me to go on the Bulletproof diet. I really did not need to loose any weight but simply wanted to tone up (especially my stomach area) and get some energy back that has been missing for the past year or so. Now the diet was a huge change for me because I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years! The thought of eating animal flesh again was a big moral dilemma for me. But I had noticed more joint pain, fatigue, and I even developed a stress fracture in my foot last spring. It seemed like although I thought I ate very healthy and exercised regularly I was loosing ground, or something was missing. What a difference from October to now. So much more energy, less bloating, and less joint pain. Only problem is my sleeping, but I am wondering if I simply don't need as much as I used to.

Anyway, I hope to return to this forum often and learn from all you wonderful women! (I hope I did not ramble too much.)  

Lynn

• Good to hear from you Lyn T. I really want to keep this thread going because this demographic usually wants to loose weight. I don't have any weight to loose having had a problem early 2014 and lost a lot in a hurry. My digestive system is slowly mending and having found BP coffee which I love and can tolerate having a lactose intolerance. I am just incorporating most of BP principles and Skye St John's work but IF makes me take weight off again (of course) I badly need to regain some muscle tone, I believe skinny fat is the term. I would like to know whether it is possible at my age.

My hormones are probably out of whack too with some trouble sleeping and hot flashes which at 65 should be long gone I would have thought.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Kris
  • I'm finding that I'm having a lot more good days instead of tired days.  I did drop some weight, but I don't think it was anything other than water weight.  I really don't have much to lose. .. only 8-ish more pounds, but feeling good matters so much more to me now that I have it back. Maybe this is a better weight for me.  Who knows.   I figured that my body is still adjusting to everything bc it took me years of not eating right to create it.  At this point I'm staying away from the scale, and just following how I feel, and eat from the green part of the list of foods. 

Hey Schoolmarm -

how are you doing ?  I am on day 2 of the RFLP - and I have a mild case of the "keto flu" = listless and hungry - but I'm getting thru it -- Dave says that after a few days I should feel GREAT so I'm focusing on that --- I, too have about 70 pounds to lose.  I def. want to lose 50, then I'll reassess to see how I feel/look.

I'm happy to see this forum, too - I spend a good deal of time on the womens forum - I'm almost 55 - and as we all know, we women get stronger as we stick together!!!!

Best of luck to everyone!!!!

• I'm not yet 60, but hope to be rockin' it long after that age. I'm 55, 5'4" (although at my last physical, I topped 5'5". Could I be growing?), and do not have weight to lose. My questions are about intermittent fasting. Dave recommends women over 40 add protein to their morning coffee, which I think interrupts IF. I want to add Maca, which has some protein in it. Will that also disrupt IF? Should I even care about fasting and weight loss if it's not an issue?

Mostly, I'm all about the brain. My 81-year-old mother has zero short-term memory, but she's got me to care for her. I have no children (that I know of), so it's up to me to stay healthy and sharp as long as possible.

Any thoughts on menopausal women intermittent fasting would be helpful!

Thanks.

• Hi SharonB

We are the same age, but I got a few inches on you in height.  I love IF and do not use the protein in the morning.  I find that when I do, I get hungry earlier in the day.    I find that following  Skye St John's take on the BPD works best for me. It is designed for menopausal women.   I was doing okay on the BPD, but the NFFBFW was the ticket.  There is a thread in the women's forum dedicated to this protocol of Dave's diet. http://www.amazon.com/No-Fail-Fat-Burning-Women/dp/1500222801/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423706402&sr=1-1&keywords=No+Fail+Fat+Burning+For+Women 

Also, I did lose a few pounds when I started Skye's NFFBFW protocol, but my body leveled out.  Eat off the green side of the food list, eat when you are hungry, keep fats high and carbs low, and carb re-feed a day or two a week. 

My father passed away from alzheimer's so, like you, brain health is a biggy for me.  I do find that I am more mentally sharp following IF and the BPD.

• I just bought "No Fail Fat Burning..." and look forward to reading it. I'm so torn about IF at this point, especially after hearing Donna Gates and Dave Asprey sing the praises of collagen, but I can put the collagen into other things and eat my maca during the acceptable window.

• That's what I do.   Just BPC in the a.m.  In the afternoon I'll have more BPC with the collagen added in.  I also add the collagen to some recipes. 

edited February 2015

I'm not yet 60, but hope to be rockin' it long after that age. I'm 55, 5'4" (although at my last physical, I topped 5'5". Could I be growing?), and do not have weight to lose. My questions are about intermittent fasting. Dave recommends women over 40 add protein to their morning coffee, which I think interrupts IF. I want to add Maca, which has some protein in it. Will that also disrupt IF? Should I even care about fasting and weight loss if it's not an issue?

Mostly, I'm all about the brain. My 81-year-old mother has zero short-term memory, but she's got me to care for her. I have no children (that I know of), so it's up to me to stay healthy and sharp as long as possible.

Any thoughts on menopausal women intermittent fasting would be helpful!

Thanks.

Hey SharonB!

We have a LOT in common - no kids, caring for an 81 year old mother (in her defense, she's 80 until March 16th!). I will be 55 in March as well.   I do have a lot of weight to lose so we deviate paths there. I will say that my hot flashes have noticeably diminished since being BP.  YAY !!!!!

Since there is a strong flavor of "tweaking" or "experimenting" on this plan, either Skye's or Dave's, maybe you should try each a couple of days.  Use protein for a day or two, then use nothing, then use Maca (gotta look that one up!), and document daily how you feel on each.  I've done similar tests and your body usually tells you what the right choice is.  If its helpful, as I understood Dave's suggestion to add protein, it was for women wanting to lose weight, but understanding the probability was high that overweight women are leptin resistant, and protein will help reset those levels.  If you don't have any weight to lose, maybe you're not leptin resistant at all !  If that is true, then you can ignore the protein.  Does that make sense ?  If not, let me know. 

Good luck !!!!!

Lisa

• edited February 2015

Thanks, Lisa. Truthfully, I just want the rock-hard abs that seem to come with IF. :)

I am in a control group for a study that UCSF is doing on the effects of exercise on caregiver stress. While I think the results are going to be "duh!", I've agreed not to do any significant aerobic exercise for 6 months, after which I will be given a 6-month gym membership. Little do they know that all the adjustments I'm making in my eating and sleeping is having a profound effect.

Since starting the Bulletproof Diet about a month ago, I have started sleeping through the night, for the first time in years! And last night, I dreamed of kittens!

I'm not sure what's helping the most -- the high protein/low-carb diet, the magnesium, L-Theanine and tryptophan before bed, or the phenibut. I tried the Gaba Wave for the first time yesterday. A tiny amount on an empty stomach in the morning, and had to take a nap by mid-afternoon. I took a tiny bit more before bed, and as I said, dreamed about kittens. I wish I could use that one more often, but the warnings have me appropriately concerned.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015

Since starting the Bulletproof Diet about a month ago, I have started sleeping through the night, for the first time in years! And last night, I dreamed of kittens!

I'm not sure what's helping the most -- the high protein/low-fat diet...

hi Sharon...don't know if that was a typo in your comment or not...the Bulletproof Diet is Not a high protein/low-fat diet

fake it till you make it