Women Over 60

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015

I'm not sure what's helping the most -- the high protein/low-fat diet, the magnesium, L-Theanine and tryptophan before bed, or the phenibut. I tried the Gaba Wave for the first time yesterday. A tiny amount on an empty stomach in the morning, and had to take a nap by mid-afternoon. I took a tiny bit more before bed, and as I said, dreamed about kittens. I wish I could use that one more often, but the warnings have me appropriately concerned.

good to see you are paying attention to the gabawave instructions/precautions.

hopefully you have done your research on phenibut as well (or were you still referring to the gabawave). checking some of my old notes when i looked at phenibut, i've noted to take 3 nights off between use (wash out period).

also tryptophan (or 5-htp) usage should not be taken lightly.

as always, research everything as much as possible.

fake it till you make it

• Thank you, Mary and gcarlet! My main question is whether or not the Bulletproof protocol ("as is") is effective for women over 60. I was hoping to read the Bulletproof experiences of women in this age range. If the Bulletproof protocol doesn't generally equate with weight-loss success in women over 60, I am certainly willing to accept that. Since I plan to follow the BP protocol-even without guidance from others' experiences-, perhaps my experience will help someone else in the future. Thanks for your encouragement!

I'm 65 and not losing on the Bp diet. Or on Skye's modification of it. I don't blame it on my age, however.

From what I have seen and read, most weight loss is to be expected if you go low-carbing paleo or Bp if you were eating mostly carbs before. I have been on low-carb for a long time. Unless I count calories, I can't loose weight. I have to be very careful with the carb refeeds, because if I let go, I will gain a lot of weight in a very short time.

The problem with bio-hacking is that a lot of basic research has been done in the 80's and before. You have to look up the references from paper sources, or read basic physiology books. A popular misconception in paleo and low-carb circles is that insuline and insuline-resistance makes you fat, and burning ketones equals burning body fat. This is not the case. Low-carb diets work because they restrict calories, like any other weight loss diet. In the short run you can lose a lot, because you don't feel hungry, but sooner or later hunger returns and you'll start eating more fats and more proteins and regaining lost weight. All calory-restricting diets downregulate your metabolism and your thyroid function. But low-carb does so more than other diets. The carb rrefeed days are supposed to prevent that, but I'm not so sure. In my case, I'm trying to slowly increase my carb intake. I hope to upregulate my metabolism and improve leptin and insulin resistance without gaining extra weight, in short undo the damage of prolonged low-carbing.
  • I'd like to join in this forum but my first post yesterday has never shown up, so this is a test.  I'm 75 years old and have been on BP for about a month.  Lost 4.4 lbs quickly and now am on a plateau. I lost 36 lbs on a 5-month low carb diet when I found BP.  I have about 9 more lbs of visceral fat to lose and it's not happening even with BP.  I don't experience any energy surge or increase in mental acuity even though I love my BP coffee with BrainOctane. Bio-hacking is a mystery to me because I don't feel any different no matter what I do or eat.  I have no allergies that I know of but I've just been diagnosed with aortic stenosis, meaning calcification has seriously closed off my aortic valve.  I'm taking K2 for that and starting serious megadosing Vit. C therapy before I see a cardiologist in a month.  I had my glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol all in good shape before I started BP and my sleep has improved on BP but I'm being careful about what I undertake in the way of supplements. Might I be the oldest person on the BP forums?

• Hi skyo

Welcome.  It sounds like you are doing really well diet-wise and health-wise.  I wish there were more research for Boomers.  I'm on the tale end of the Boomer generation so am a few years behind you.  But we are a huge bit of the population and want to live healthy lives in our golden years. 

For me, the trick to seeing how food was hitting my body was to do an elimination diet.  Once I did that, adding something back in gave me a huge clue.  Today, for example, I had something 'new' and 30 minutes later I could tell that I should not eat that any longer.  Good to know, right?  I took a few charcoal tabs and now, 3 hours later, I am fine.  The thing I experienced was something I had been experiencing a lot before the elimination diet.  Yep, good to know what to avoid.   What is weird is I didn't think I had many sensitivities, but apparently I had a few more than I realized.  Now I stay on the green side of the food list and rarely venture outside of it.

I did the elimination diet at the request of my daughter.  She is auto-immune and did it.  She found some things that seemed so benign that she had sensitivities to.. . . like balsamic vinegar.  Yeah, something we so easily use is many dishes and dressings.  I did not want to do it, but decided to after seeing how well she was doing.  I was also about 1/2 paleo and 1/2 BP at that time and doing really well or so I thought.  The nagging things I had going on were all chalked up to other things.  So I went whole hog BP and did the elimination diet that way.  It was really eye opening.

I wish you luck with your doctor's appt.  I do the K2 and Vit C, too.    I just went thru a full work up with the cardiologist a few months ago and got a clean bill of health.  I credit it to my Paleo/BP diet.   It is amazing what sleeping well and eating right can do. 

• That's interesting, I'll have to think a bit about what to eliminate.  I confess I have not used BPs coffee.  I have some on the way so that will be my first test.  If I do experience the satiety and energy boost promised by BP coffee then I will have to admit I am more sensitive to mold than I thought. That perhaps would help me choose what to eliminate. Thanks for the suggestion,.

• Here I am, another boomer!  It has been a very interesting  and good journey on BPD!  My Dad was a med school dropout and researched how to body hack years ago and stayed  with his findings for as long as I can recall.  I grew up in a house devoid of packaged foods, pizza, simple carbs etc.  Of course, I rebelled.  I had short stints of returning to the eating patterns of my parents, but didn't stick with them while raising my children unfortunately and have always been more fat than I liked.  I tried Atkins, weight watchers, raw vegan, ovo lacto vegan, following the gov. food pyramid guidelines and too many others to list.  In desperation,  I became an aerobics instructor!  I had always worked out daily for long sessions and I became strong and sort of fit and----tired and injured and sorta miserable and still too fat for my MD and me.  I saw that my clients didn't lose the weight they wanted to either and were also frustrated and bored with it all.  I quit.  While looking for my next reinvention of myself and knowing I had to make some kind of last ditch effort of get slim and get the pressure off of tired knees and hips, I ran across Bulletproof coffee buzz and decided to try it.  Got the book, read all the info I could find on the net, listen to the podcasts, watched countless videos of Tim Ferris, Dr. Amen, Dave and others.   I love the coffee, the feeling, the clarity of mind, the weight loss, the freedom from constant workouts and am devouring everything about the hack.  My dad would have loved BPC! 

• Hi All. Great forum I'm a 63 newbe to the Bullet Proof world especial thanks to Linda for linking us to other helpful info. At 21 had hysterectomy and didn't do hormone therapy and two years ago had thyroid cancer so out it came. Needless to say I'm hormonally challenged. My real question though is for those of us who also had gallbladder removed is there any concern about having so fats. I hope not cause I LOVE bpc. I also had thoracic surgery for stomach and esophagus problems but all is good now and I hope to loose 20 lbs. I have a WBV machine and also try to walk several times a week. I do miss crunchier foods ... Any suggestions?
  • I've been "MIA" from this forum for quite a while but enjoyed checking it from time to time to see if there was new information that might help me get back on track. My inspiration is "Skyo." I am very grateful for your post. I had felt that I was too old to experience significant improved health, but your post helped me see that as long as I'm breathing, there is hope.... The High Octane MCT -even 1/8 tsp. - caused feelings of nausea for me, and was quite discouraging. I have recently bought the Bulletproof whey protein and like the information on the collagen. I would like to have more information on the best use of the whey protein for post-menopausal women. I believe Dave posted that 2 TBS. per day should be the max. used. I would appreciate clarification of this, and whether or not the whey protein could replace all other protein at times. Thanks again for keeping this forum going. It is a great motivator and very informational.

• I'm a bit discouraged myself, so it was heartening that I somehow encouraged someone else!  I tried the BP coffee and found absolutely no difference than regular coffee with butter and Brain Octain or for just a regular cup of coffee for that matter.  The trouble is, the BP regimen does not sate my hunger.  I'm HUNGRY all morning, even though I add 1T collagen to my coffee and eat some kind of meat or fish.  I've gotten to where I don't care if I never see another vegetable.  All I want is a piece of toast to put my poached egg on.  Since I'm not a shining example of BP success I haven't posted.

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

I'm a bit discouraged myself, so it was heartening that I somehow encouraged someone else!  I tried the BP coffee and found absolutely no difference than regular coffee with butter and Brain Octain or for just a regular cup of coffee for that matter.  The trouble is, the BP regimen does not sate my hunger.  I'm HUNGRY all morning, even though I add 1T collagen to my coffee and eat some kind of meat or fish.  I've gotten to where I don't care if I never see another vegetable.  All I want is a piece of toast to put my poached egg on.  Since I'm not a shining example of BP success I haven't posted.

Hey, Skyo -

Sorry to hear you are hungry !!!  I may be way off base here, but I could have sworn I read that if you are experiencing hunger after BP coffee, it could be that you are Leptin resistant.  Leptin is the hormone that tells your head you are full.  There are plenty of posts about resetting your leptin levels.  Have you tried any of that ?  We hate to lose you - but you have to do what is best for you!!! 

Also, how much coffee do you drink?  I find that I need 2 cups to keep me full all day.   

Best of luck to you!!!!!

Lisa

• Skyo - I have to agree with Lisa on this one.  I was gonna post the same thing.  LOL!  Guess Lisa and I read the same posts.  A leptin reset may help.   You are wise to do the protein in the morning being post-menopausal. 

I also bought the BP coffee from Dave until I could find a clean source locally.  Thankfully I live in the Pacific Northwest - heart of coffee land.   You can use whatever coffee you want, but finding a clean bean (single sourced from South America, water/wet processed) you'll be okay.

Schoolmarm - I don't have any experience with the whey protein, but have wanted to try it.  Please keep us posted on your results.  As far as the Brain octane oil, you can add it to your veggies or smoothies.  I use it on/in a variety of dishes.  It may be easier on your tummy if you had it with food instead of coffee since coffee is kinda acidic to some.

Jugabug - I do not recall exactly where it was, but I saw a podcast recently on gallbaldders and paleo-type diets.  I didn't listen to all of it since I don't have gallbladder issues.   It was something associated with Dave or else I wouldn't have found it.  If I come across it or recall which bio-hacker, I'll message you.  In my mind, it was Wendy Myers.  As a suggestion, you may want to message John Brisson and ask him for recommendations.  He is a BP coach and author.  His info on these forums has been spot on. 

• Here is the protocol for a leptin reset http://www.jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

• Thanks Linda & Lisa for your info and support. I took a look at the lepton resistant and I fit into that issue for the most part.

Could that be why a couple times when I went off bf program ...ex went out to sisters birthday lunch split a Ruben sandwich

some French onion soup and a taste if French fries and desert didn't finish any of it but still.... Anyway for dinner I dad a salad

and then last nite ate about 1/2bag of beaneo chips with added pink salt. I got on the scale .... reluctantly and weight

went down a tad. My sister and I were going to start Skye's 21 day program now I'm wondering if that would be

a smart move for me. Do either of you have a suggestion of how many and when to have carbs when doing IF

and when not doing IF. Sometimes I would be hungry after bpc and other times not so much. Thinking I should

have the collagen protein in it but does that nagate the IF. Will get back on adrenal support
  • Hi Jugabug

I did not do the collagen protein in my coffee when I did Skye's program.  I do add it now, though.  At first, everything kinda clicked within a few days with me, and I felt the energy and everything promised.  But, as time went on, I did notice a slump in the mornings.  Recalling Dave saying the menopausal women need protein in the morning, I started adding the collagen.    Personally, I keep my carbs below 30grams except on refeed days.  I ate them at prescribed in the protocol.  What you need may be different, though.     A typical dinner for me will be a serving or two of meat, 3 or 4 servings of veggies with lots of butter.  Lunch for me typically is a 2nd BPC bc of my schedule, but I will have an eggs w spinach and avocado, or something like if I'm home.   I make a lot of BP soup so that makes for a quick meal at lunch that i can drink.  I steam a bunch of veggies, then blend them with broth, butter, MCT and spices.  It is soooo good.  I add meat to it sometimes too and leave the veggies slightly chunky.  Super filling, and easy to digest and get down when life is busy.

At this point, I'm going back to basics and starting tracking, and getting my macros back in place.  Perhaps I am getting to complacent and have something not in the right proportion???  I need to double check everything which is a wise thing to do from time to time. All I know is that I felt overwhelmed at first and was checking off boxes as I went through each day.  "Take this before coffee, this at 11, eat that at 1, then. . . .check, check, check".  Then I realized that I could just eat from the green side of the list, and NOT be afraid of butter, and things felt a lot easier.  I only ate/eat when I got hungry and when drinking water didn't help with the hunger.  If I was busy, I'd just have another BPC.  I think being strict at first is wise bc it gets you into it faster.  Also, I did do an elimination type diet at the beginning, too, as prescribed from JJ Virgin with Dave on BP.  It isn't as bad as it sounds.    Here, check it out: 

I should add that I was eating Paleo before going BP so I didn't have any carb  hangovers or carb flu.  Those don't feel good at all and if you've eaten simple carbs, you could be dealing with that, too.  Sweet potatoes can help you get thru carb flu.  Stay away from any cheat bites of this or that.  If you doubt it is BP, don't eat it.  Once you get into it, you won't wanna cheat bc you will love how you feel and know a cheat meal or even a cheat bite isn't worth it. 

• edited May 2015

I thought I should introduce myself and see if 58 is "old enough" to be a part of this group. :-P  I am just starting the BPd this week...today is my 5th day.  I am still reading and learning, and I know I still have much to learn, but I already feel better than I have in months.  I am having some headaches (one around 3pm and another at 4 am that I wake up with or have to take something before my alarm goes off).

I am going to now go back and read this thread all the way through and catch up with you all.

*edit:  Guess I should add that I am post-menopausal for 8 years now and have had an impossible time losing weight since Peri began in my 40's.  The lowest I weighed was 10 years ago and since then I have been so discouraged in my efforts to be healthier and lose this extra weight.

Beth

• I thought I should introduce myself and see if 58 is "old enough" to be a part of this group. :-P  I am just starting the BPd this week...today is my 5th day.  I am still reading and learning, and I know I still have much to learn, but I already feel better than I have in months.  I am having some headaches (one around 3pm and another at 4 am that I wake up with or have to take something before my alarm goes off).

I am going to now go back and read this thread all the way through and catch up with you all.

*edit:  Guess I should add that I am post-menopausal for 8 years now and have had an impossible time losing weight since Peri began in my 40's.  The lowest I weighed was 10 years ago and since then I have been so discouraged in my efforts to be healthier and lose this extra weight.

Beth

Hi Beth.  Welcome to the group.  There is more activity in the No Fail Fat Burning for Women (NFFBFW) thread.   The book NFFBFW is how to take the BP diet and tweak it for women, so you might find some more tips/tricks in there.  Food/nutrition/exercise timing really matters, and that is all in that thread and book.  The book is available on Amazon for less than $10 for a copy and around $7 for the kindle version.  I have both.  LOL!  The author even works with us in the thread.  Her name is Skye. 

I certainly understand the issue with weight loss.  I put on a few pounds with menopause that is very stubborn.  I still look good and feel great, but don't like those extra few pounds.  Nobody really notices but me and it is uncomfortable!  Part of my problem was that I had a back injury a 2 year ago and was immobile for over 4 months.  I lost so much muscle during that time and getting that back isn't easy.  I was so worried about reinjuring my back for so long that I wasn't doing strength training and then not doing heavy enough weights.  With BP I have noticed that my body is slimming down even though the scale isn't changing much.  Really, the #s on the scale don't really matter.  Going with how you feel and what you see is the key. 

I'm a headache sufferer, too.  I go for days without, then have bouts that last for days and can become migraines.  They are much less frequent since I started BP, but I'm still working on that.  It is finding the right combo of nutrients that my body needs.  Mine tend to be weather related but I know hormones plays into it alot.  Staying away from all pharmaceuticals and OTC meds has made a huge difference.  Ice, nutrition, exercise, schedule, sleep. . .those work way way way better for me. 

See ya around the boards. 

• Thanks Linda, I will go there and read too!  Nice to "meet' you!  :-)

• edited May 2015

Maureen22 -

Have you tried BP intermittent fasting, eat nine cups of vegetables per day, protein striction once a week with a carb load?  Do you have a good Functional Med Doctor available to help quantify your hormones?  Since you're no longer switching between estrogen and progrestrogen monthly, your testosterone maybe off. 

http://www.precisionhormones.com/

• Hi everyone. Have signed up to the forum today and wanted to introduce myself. This thread is definitely the right one for me! :smile:  I’m 62 and going shopping this afternoon to begin the BPd tomorrow. I have Dave’s book, and Skye’s, so I’ve got myself a bit muddled up. For now, I’m going to stick to Skye’s for me. My partner wants to do it too, we both have a lot of fat to burn, so I’m doing my best to work out what’s best for men while sticking to Skye’s recommendations for me. Because of the carb re-feeds and protein fasting days, we won’t be doing things on the same days, so that’s what’s got me confused.

In Skye’s book on page 55, she says to do a carb re-feed on Day 10, which I understand. She also says to eat veggies and protein as well as safe starches, just eat a little less fat. For my partner, should he avoid protein on a carb day??

Anyone reading this, please comment - thank you. It’ll really help me. So glad this forum is here!

Cathy

• Hi everyone, so glad I found this thread.

I'm nearly 50, so not over 60 yet, but it's been lovely reading about how well you are all doing on the BP diet. It's really encouraging for someone my age who is in the middle of perimenopause, to read that things do seem to get better.

Sometimes it feels so unfair to be female.

I've been BPing for a year or so and have found it helps my energy and brain fog.

I also take Unfair Advantage and brain octane which have made a noticeable difference in mental clarity.

I'm very grateful for Dave's supplements and the fact that so much research has gone into them.

Keep letting us know how you're all going.

• Here is the protocol for a leptin reset http://www.jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

This is super helpful.  I am just amazed how much research is available and that this forum is so eager to find and share it. 

• A popular misconception in paleo and low-carb circles is that insuline and insuline-resistance makes you fat, and burning ketones equals burning body fat. This is not the case. Low-carb diets work because they restrict calories, like any other weight loss diet. In the short run you can lose a lot, because you don't feel hungry, but sooner or later hunger returns and you'll start eating more fats and more proteins and regaining lost weight. All calory-restricting diets downregulate your metabolism and your thyroid function. But low-carb does so more than other diets. The carb rrefeed days are supposed to prevent that, but I'm not so sure. In my case, I'm trying to slowly increase my carb intake. I hope to upregulate my metabolism and improve leptin and insulin resistance without gaining extra weight, in short undo the damage of prolonged low-carbing.

This post is quite thought provoking......I have been on bpd for 2 months.  Very happy not to be hungry and very happy to be eating fat again.  I went through flu-like symptoms the first two weeks which I attributed to my delicate liver being overloaded with fat, but after a final very traumatic week of nausea the symptoms went away and I had energy and no hunger for the first time in years (I'm 52, perimenopause).  I continue to eat no carbs except green veg and an occasional white one and some almonds...but now I find that I am failing very early in my pilates work outs and am winded at my dance class....one would assume I'm in ketosis and burning fat since I don't eat carbs...but my lack of energy now gives me pause...could it be that I am not burning fat since I don't have any energy?  I had a RMR test and my resting metabolic rate was only 1138 calories/day and my thyroid has always been low...but now I'm on T4 and T3 gladulars...not helping with my energy.  

• Hello, my name is Lisa and I am 55 yrs old. Perhaps we could change the topic to over 50 which would include the over 60?...Anyway, I am new to Bulletproof. I am born and raised in PA/NJ but at the age of 46 moved to Australia...my husband is Australian. I stumbled across Bulletproof when I was googling lchf and intermittent fasting as I cannot seem to get rid of my menopausal weight gain. I am a low carber from way back...Stillman diet anyone? and could easily lose my on and off 10 pounds with Atkins. But man is my now 20 pound weight gain stubborn. I have recently dumped the low carb to weight watchers but that was a disaster. So learning about Bulletproof is great! I love Bulletproof coffee but have not added the mct oil....I am only 2 days into and to be honest not even sure they have mct oil here. I am dertemined to do whatever it takes to get rid of this weight, I feel so uncomfortable. I am 165 pounds and want to be 145 pounds. In high school, I was 135 pounds. Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks, Lisa

• Hello, I've been on the BP diet for a month now and I'm loving it.

I'm 71 and have auto-immune diseases: hashimotos and Diabetes 1.5 controlled with insulin so I was careful with the intermittent fasting.

I have the coffee with collagen in the morning then walk the dog. Then I have bone broth and/or bacon before starting work. I tried with nothing but coffee and it wasn't working for me.

I have a veggie, meat soup for lunch with berries for dessert and another coffee an hour later, then walk the dog again in the afternoon and have an early dinner so I get about 16 hours of fasting.

I recently made some chocolate with some xct oil, cacao butter and cacao powder and lo han go for sweetener, no carbs and since I added that in as a carb free snack I'm not hungry for dinner at all. I have to force myself to eat it.

My blood sugar has completely normalized in a month. it used to yoyo up and down all day even when I thought I was being careful. I was a fruit junkie ;-)

My brain has improved a lot as well so my only problem with the diet and program is that I don't want to lose any more weight. On my last low carb diet I went down to 90 lbs, I'm 117 now and don't want to go any lower. That's why I added in the chocolate.

I'm glad to join you all!

• Hello fellow agers.  I'm 60 this month and have enjoyed a bulletproof diet for past few years.  I actually love fat and grass fed pasteured animal but try to get a large share of organic veggies in per day. I rarely crave veggies but enjoy them and know they are good for me.  I've been living with mostly diet controlled diabetes (metformin and low dose basal insulin) and now I have a very high cholesteral with high small "sticky" LDL. Anyone have evidence or links to how to balance low carb with heart disease? I also struggle with contradictions in the need to feed microbiome and how all the fiber are additional carbs that elevate my glucose.  Does anyone else have these issues?

• Well, I read through posts...sounds like I am a good fit here. I am 61 with a slew of medical issues: auto-immune (scleritis, remission 18 months), fibromyalgia, pre-diabetic (diet controlled for 6 yrs w/ HgA1c under 6% for 4 years now), cholesterol is pretty good (Calculated LDL 106, HDL 58, Triglycerides 78, Cholesterol 180), am without my thyroid (precancerous goiter) and one ovary (precancerous cyst) and take levothroid, losartan for BP and currently progesterone for a thickened uterine lining that was causing bleeding. I also suffered an adrenal crash about 3 years ago after being on high doses of prednisone for two years, in addition to methotrexate and CellCept (another immonosuppressor). 

I am just beginning to add carbs back in, white rice or sweet potato, to see if I can incite a burn...as I am stuck now after having lost 50# four years ago and weight is slowly creeping back up. I am concerned that I am maybe not metabolizing fats...and just had an ultra-sensitive c-reactive protein test that was off the charts...showing either high inflammatory markers and/or high risk for heart disease. I should also mention that my heart rate fluctuates between 43 and 56 (56 is my norm) as a resting heart-rate...yet the BIG frustration is I cannot seem to find a Dr that is willing to look and see what is really going on. Instead they treat me like a girl who can't push herself away from a plate of Twinkies...I have not found a Dr yet who will listen to me...or be willing to figure it out. 

I am reading Skye's book but not sure just where to start with recent lab work results....I am cautious but I MUST lose the weight. I have more physical and mental energy than probably ever....but the scale is stuck. I still have about 75# to lose. 

I have a pretty narrow food list (no nightshades, gluten, soy, dairy, etc) but happy with what I eat....my treat is one square of 85% chocolate and a handful of walnuts.I eat a lot of veggies. I am kind of at the point of not knowing where to go, what to look at anymore but suspect possibly SIBO, PCOS/insulin resistance and one heck of a battered metabolism. 

Thinking that perhaps someone will see possible items I might want to check into...suggestions...questions....thanks! Jude

• I'd like to check myself in here too as reading this thread I have much in common! I'm 53 with 40lb post menopausal weight gain to shift and a battered metabolism from VLCD. I have had a full blood panel done and everything is very healthy so for me it is about building muscle mass and trying to fix my gut issues. I love the bulletproof protocol and have been IF on and off for about three years. However I have learned that a persistent low carb diet does not work for me as I feel underpowered in the gym. Skye's protocol which I have done works although the I don't agree with the 10 day initial carb depletion preferring to cycle carbs every 4 days. Self monitoring is the key for me.
  • Is there anybody out there over 60 still following bulletproof lifestyle? I am about to join that club in a few months and would like some company for the journey. my occupation is E.R nurse and I enjoy distance walking,medical missions to Bangladesh, my grandaughter  ,(couldnt resist!!!).Recently I did a weird cleanse with my very overweight husband. The kind that you eat only 4 fruits 2 days and alternate with 2 days of just whole organic milk.....many have lost a lot on this but me??just got very faint with bp 70 systolic. that was last friday and saturday I began bulletproof lifestyle. felt terrific within few hours with all my energy and stamina back.don't know if I will loose weight but I can def achieve a lot on this diet. Look forward to hearing from you other ladies.....

• edited April 2016
    Hi,

I am also not quite 60.. 57.

I love the BP way of eating... Have the books, and research like mad.

I work out (strength training) and do not eat dairy, nuts... But I can't seem to break the 137-140 lbs range. I want to get to 125 with 23% body fat. I am now 30% body fat.

I have arthritis... Probably RH like my mom and aunt, but not diagnosed yet. Joints ache all the time. Big toes are bone on bone, knees are terrible (no more squats). I love hiking and will keep going no matter what.

I am making it most days with the IF, but very hungry. Have BP coffee with butter and MCT, and a second cup with just the MCT oil.

I like fat bombs and wonder if anyone has a BP recipe using Cocnut oil, MCT, upgraded collagen, xylitol and cocoa powder? Maybe some shredded coconut... To tide me through till 1:30. I do not want to break the fast if possible.

I love the veggies, and this way of eating. Seems more like my way... Than staying in strict Ketogenic forever. This makes so much sense... I just wish I could hack the last bit of weight and body fat!

Glad this thread is here.

Thanks for the forum.

Peace,

Disa
  • Hello, my name is Lisa and I am 55 yrs old. Perhaps we could change the topic to over 50 which would include the over 60?...Anyway, I am new to Bulletproof. I am born and raised in PA/NJ but at the age of 46 moved to Australia...my husband is Australian. I stumbled across Bulletproof when I was googling lchf and intermittent fasting as I cannot seem to get rid of my menopausal weight gain. I am a low carber from way back...Stillman diet anyone? and could easily lose my on and off 10 pounds with Atkins. But man is my now 20 pound weight gain stubborn. I have recently dumped the low carb to weight watchers but that was a disaster. So learning about Bulletproof is great! I love Bulletproof coffee but have not added the mct oil....I am only 2 days into and to be honest not even sure they have mct oil here. I am dertemined to do whatever it takes to get rid of this weight, I feel so uncomfortable. I am 165 pounds and want to be 145 pounds. In high school, I was 135 pounds. Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I can SO relate. (As you can see from my below post). Seems like none of the rules apply to us over 50 ladies.

I am still optimistic that I can achieve the more youthful body. Lean and muscular. I will not give up!

If you have Amazon, you can find the oil and Some of Dave's products too.

Good luck!